« PreviousContinue »
TEACHES to find how often one number is contained in another of different denominations.
DIVISION OF FEDERAL MONEY. PAny sum in Federal Money may be divided as a whole number; for, if dollars and cents be written down as a simple number, the whole will be cents; and if the sum consists of dollars only, annex two cyphers to the doilars, and the whole will be 'cents ; hence the following
1. GENERAL RULE. Write down the given sum in cents, and divide as in whole numbers ; the quotient will be the answer in cents.
Note. If the cents in the given sum are less than 10, you must always place a cypher on their left, or in the ten's place of the cents, before you write them down.
EXAMPLES 1. Divide 35 dollars 68 cents, by 41. 41)3568(87 the quotient in cents; and when there 328
is any considerable remainder, you
may annex a cypher to it, if you please, 288 and divide it again, and you will have 287 the mills, &c.
2. Divide 21 aollars, 5 cents, by 14 14)2105(150 cents=1 dol. 50 cts, but to bring cents
into dollars, you need only point of two
figures to the right hand for cents, and 70 the rest will be dollars, &c.
5. Divide 97 dols. 43 cts. by 85. Ans. $1 14cts. Om. 6. Divide 248 dols. 54 cts. by 125.
Ans. 198cts. Sın,=51 98cts. 8in. 7. Divide 24 dols. 65 cts. by 248. Ans. Octs. 9m, 8. Divide 10 dols, or 1000 cts. by 25. Ans. 40cts. 9. Divide 125 dois, by 500.
Ans. 2jcts. 10. Divide 1 dollar into 33 equal parts. Ans. 3cts. +
- 1. Bought 25lb. of coffee for 5 dollars ; what is that a pound ?
Ans. 20cts, 2. If 131 yards of Irish linen cost 49 dols. 78 cts. what is that per yard ?
Ans. Sects. 3. If an cwt. of sugar cost 8 dols. 96 cts, what is that per pound :
Ans. Scts. 4. If 140 reams of paper cost 329 dols. what is that per ream?
Ans. $2 35cts. 5. If a reckoning of 25 dols. 41 cts. be paid equally among 14 persons, what do they pay a piece ?
Ins. $1 81fcts. 6. If a man's wages are 235 dols. 80 cts. a year, what is that a calendar month ?
Ans. $19 65cts. 7. The salary of the President of the United States, is twenty-five thousand dollars a year ; what is that a day?
Ans. $68 49cts.
2. To diride the denominations of Sierling Money,
Freighis, wjfeasures, &'c.
Begin with the highest denomination as in simple division ; and if any thing, remains, find how many of the next lower denomination this remainder is equal to; which add to the next denomination; then divide again, carrying the remainder, if any, as before; and so on, till the whole is finished.
PR001-The same as in Simple Division.
for s. d.
9. Divide 185 17 6 by 8
2. When the divisor exceeds 12, and is the product of two
or more numbers in the table multiplied together.
Divide by one of those numbers first, and the quotient by the other, and the last quotient will the answer.
3. When the divisor is large, and not a composite num. ber, you may divide by the whole divisor at once, after manner of long division, as follows, viz.
Multiply by produces
34 pounds remaining.
20 and add in the 13s.
[14s. in the quotient.
35 shillings remaining.
. . [9d. in the quotient