« PreviousContinue »
each bundle containing 5cwt. How many bundles were there, and what did he receive for the whole?
38. A., B. and C. traded in company. A. contributed $19000, B. $18500, and C. $25750. What was the whole stock in trade, and what part of the gain should each man receive?
39. How many potatoes, at 25 cents a bushel, must be given in exchange for 1633 pounds of sugar, at 93 cents a pound? -4
40. A. can do a piece of work in 8 days, and B. can do it in 12 days. What part can they both do in one day, and how long will it take them both to do the whole?
41. A merchant bought 17 bales of sheeting, each bale containing 18 pieces, and each piece 321 yards. How much did he give for the whole, at 11 cents a yard?
42. How much will it cost to carpet a floor 15ft. wide and 17ft. 6in. long,-the carpeting being a yard wide and worth $1.50 per yd.?
43. The circumference of the earth's orbit is estimated at 567019740 miles. Then what distance does the earth move every second?
44. How many men can build a house in 1 day, that 25 men can build in 73 days?
45. A labourer's wages are $1.75 per day. How many days must he work to pay for pasturing his cow 391 weeks, cents per week?
46. What is the diameter of the Earth, the circumference of any circle being 3.14159 times its diameter ?
47. How many bottles, each holding 1 pints, may be filled from a cask containing 127 gallons of wine? How many drops are there in the cask?
48. How many times will a wheel that is 121 feet in circumference, revolve in going from Boston to Providence, the distance being 39 miles?
49. What must I give for 17 boxes of sugar, each weighing 2cwt. 1qr. 7lb., at $6.75 per cwt.?
50. What is the worth of a vessel, if 3 of 4 of § of her cost $875.00?
51. If a staff 9ft. 6in. long, cast a shadow of 121 feet, what is the height of a tree whose shadow at the same time measures 99 ft.?
52. How much can a man save in a year, whose annual salary is $5931, and whose daily expenses are 933 cents? 53. If 193lb. of wool cost $5, what is the price of 2311b.?
54. How much must a man spend a day in order to use all his income, which is $1000 per annum?
55. Bought a house lot for $950.50. What is the value of of of 5 of the lot?
56. How much cloth is there in a piece worth $1273, at $41 per yd.?
57. A merchant bought 56 barrels of flour for $238, and paid for transportation $14.00; storage $4.75; drayage, and other expenses, $5.00. At what price must he sell it per barrel to gain $25 on the whole?
58. A cistern has 3 pipes, one of which would fill it in 4 hours, one in 3 hours, and the third would empty it in 5 hours. If they are all opened, in what time will the cistern be filled?
59. If of a ton of hay cost $111, what will 45 tons cost?
60. If a tax of $469 is levied on property valued at $140750, how much must be paid by a man whose property is worth $1900?
61. How many oxen at $953, horses at $120, and cows at $27, of each a like number, can be purchased for $4371.
62. What is the value of 161lb. of flour, at $4.75 per barrel of 1967b.?
63. What will 9.763cwt. of rice cost, at 4 cents per pound?
64. How much must I give for 843 gallons of vinegar, at 61 cents a quart?
65. Bought 91 pieces of sheeting, each piece containing 30 yards, for $3633. What was the price per yard? Y
66. If, when wheat is $1.00 per bushel, the 6ct. loaf
weighs 13lb., what ought it to weigh when wheat is $1.25 per bushel?
67. What would 963lb. of pork cost, at 73cts. per lb. ? 68. What must be the length of a board that is 101 inches wide, to measure 9 square feet?
69. How long will it take 1 man to build a wall that 15 men can build in 411 days?
70. How many square feet in a board 2ft. 3in. wide, and 11ft. 7in. long?
71. The sum of two numbers is 96, and one of the numbers is 18,5; what is the other?
72. The greater of two numbers is 873, and their difference is 7.625. What is the less?
73. The less of two numbers is 14.79, and their difference is 135. What is the greater?
74. The sum of two numbers is 1691, and their difference is 281. Required the numbers. [Add half the difference to half the sum for the greater, and subtract half the difference from half the sum for the less number.] 75. What number must be taken from of of 8, to 13-08 16 leaveofofof 13?
76. A man left to his son $9163 more than to his wife, and to his wife $1593 more than to his daughter. The daughter's share was $1299; what was the whole fortune?
77. If the divisor is 9327, the quotient 864, and the remainder 15913, what is the dividend?
78. What number must be added to of 62 to make 7 of of 1911?
79. If 1cwt. 2qr. 21lb. of indigo cost £33 17s. 7d., how much will 6cwt. 3qr. 15lb. cost?
80. If 5.29 francs are worth $1.00, what is the value of 688.31 francs?
Simpson and Jones,
18 Emerson's First Class Readers at $5.00 a dozen.
22 Colburn's Algebras
at $8.00 a dozen.
9 gross steel pens
Philadelphia, 4th mo. 29, 1844.
1200 slate pencils
at $2.25 a gross.
Harcourt & Elliott,
6 pieces of coarse cottons, each 32 yds. at 101⁄2cts.
49 pieces Merrimack prints,
George Merriam & Brother,
5cwt. 2qr. 9lb. hops,
Watson, Miller & Co.,
London, July 25, 1844.
New York, Aug. 18, 1844.
85. What is the yearly rent of 247 $9.50 per acre?
86. A merchant bought of of a vessel, and afterwards sold of of his share for $569. How much has he left, and what is its value at the same rate?
Bristol, Sept. 5, 1844.
acres of land, at
87. If of of of a farm be worth $959.75, what is the whole farm worth?
88. What is the balance of the following account, the balance being the difference between the Debtor and Creditor amounts?
89. If 939cwt. 3qr. 21lb. of sugar, sell for $499.50, what is the price per cwt.? per lb.?
90. How much wool, at 37 cts. a pound, will purchase 95 barrels of apples, at $1.663 per barrel?
91. What would be the value of cwt. of gold, at $13.75 per ounce Avoirdupois?
92. How many steps will a man take in 191 hours, if he walks 311 miles an hour, and each step measures 23ft.?
93. A certain room is 141 ft. long, 113 ft. wide, and 78 ft. high. How many bushels will it hold, there being 2150.4 cubic inches in a bushel?
94. What is the value of 81313lb. of tea, at 621⁄2cts. per lb.
95. What is the price of 1oz. of indigo, if 45lb. cost 8133?
96. A rectangular farm contains 10A. 3R., and it measures in front 39 rods. What is the length of one of the sides?
97. A merchant gained $1920 a year, for the first three years after commencing business; for the next four years he gained $2370.50, and for the next two he lost $1875.75 a year. How much had he gained at the expiration of the ninth year?
98. How many cents weigh 1cwt. 1qr. 15lb. 15oz., if the weight of one cent is 3lb.? 99. 59141 is of 100. Add of of days; 213 minutes, and
of of what number?
of 16 years, of off of 4 of 62.49 seconds.
101. Nine men bought 27 barrels of flour, at $5 per barrel. How much did each pay?
102. A merchant who owned of of a ship, gave 2 of his share to his son, and sold of the remainder for 1375. What was the value of the whole vessel, at the same rate?
103. If 11 gallons of wine cost 12 dollars, what will 21 gills cost?
104. A silversmith has 4 tea-pots, each weighing 176. 8oz. 12dwt. 6gr.; 2 dozen silver spoons, each weighing 2oz. 19dwt. 18gr.; and 37 tea-spoons, each weighing 16dwt. 7gr. What is the weight of the whole, and what is their value at $19.00 per lb.?