Page images


as Mr. Wandenhoff possessed a versatility which falls to the lot of few performers, he did anything and everything until May, 1814, when he appeared in Liverpool as “Rollo” in “Pizarro.” This was his starting-point on the path of fame. His reception was enthusiastic beyond precedent, and in Liverpool and Manchester he enjoyed for six seasons all the honours of a high reputation, and as substantial proofs of regard as ever fell to a provincial actor. In December, 1820, he appeared first in London as “King Lear,” and played at Covent Garden amid rapturous applause. This part was followed by “Coriolanus,” in which he has had no competitor since the days of John Kemble. Mr. Macready having preceded him in London, he relinquished his engagement and made a tour of the provinces, playing his favourite characters with marked success. In 1834 he revisited London, and appeared for the second time as “Coriolanus,” which, after an interval of 14 years, he played with distinguished ability. Mr. Bunn secured his services for Covent-garden and Drurylame. His subsequent performance of “Adrastus,” in Talfourd's tragedy of “Ion,” at the Haymarket, was remarkably fine. In 1837 he visited America, where he met with great success. In September, 1838, he re-appeared at Covent-garden, then under the management of Mr. Macready, after visiting America. In 1841 he accepted an engagement from Charles Kemble, and continued to perform in London and the provinces. In the month of April, 1856, Mr. Wandenhoff took his leave of a Salisbury audience, previous to his final retirement from the stage. He appeared in the characters of “Cato,” “Shylock,” and “Hamlet,” and at the conclusion of the last-named play he delivered an eloquent and touching address. On the 29th of October, 1858, he finally retired from the stage, at Liverpool, having completed a round of engagements in the principal theatres of the United Kingdom. At Liverpool, Edinburgh, and Glasgow, he was always a special favourite, and was received with the respect and esteem due to a gentleman, a scholar, and an accomplished artist. February. Aged 80, at his villa in the environs of Padua, the celebrated soprano singer, Welluti, one of the most successful interpreters of Rossini's music. It was for him that Meyerbeer composed his “Il Crociato,” and Rossini his “Aureliano in Palmira.” Welluti was formerly one of

[ocr errors]

the singers in the Sistine Chapel, and about 40 years since appeared in England at Her Majesty's Theatre. Aug. 3. At Wersailles, aged 68, Father Wentura, a very popular preacher, and an author of high reputation. He was born at Palermo in 1792. When only 15 years old he entered the Jesuit College of his native city, and before long was appointed its Professor of Rhetoric. When the house was shut up the young Wentura was admitted as a novice by the Theatins, or regulars of the Congregation of Lateran. He was, at the proper age, admitted to holy orders, and devoted himself to preaching, particularly funeral orations, in which he soon acquired reputation. His panegyric on Pius VII. passed through 20 editions, and procured for the preacher the title of “the Italian Bossuet,” while his work entitled “Influence of the 16th Century.” was considered to be a fitting companion to the “Wariations” of the great French writer. In 1824 he was elected General of his order. He was appointed member of a Commission of Censorship, with Orioli and Michara, who afterwards became Cardinals; and also with Father Capellari, better known as Gregory XVI. He obtained at the same time the Chair of Ecclesiastical Law, together with the office of Almoner to the University of Rome. He was employed by Leo XII., who had a high opinion of his capacity, in negotiating the Concordat with the Duke of Modena. He brought about a reconciliation between the Pope and Chateaubriand, then French Ambassador to the Holy See ; and, finally, obtained from the Court of Rome the recognition of Louis Philippe as King de facto, though not de jure. His work “De Methodo Philosophandi,” published in 1828, in defence of the Christian or scholastic philosophy, brought upon him smart attacks from his old friend the Abbé Lamennais. Wentura soon after quitted the Pontifical Court, and during 10 years lived apart from public affairs, devoting himself to the study of the Scriptures and the Fathers of the Church. In 1839 he published his work, “The Beauty of the Faith.” It was during this period, too, that his finest sermons were preached in the Church of St. Andrew delle Walle and St. Peter's. His published homilies fill five octavo volumes. The studious tranquillity of his life was soon to be interrupted, for the revolutionary period was at hand. He IX K


preached the funeral sermon of O'Connell in 1847. His liberal opinions gave him great influence with the multitude, which was further increased by his sermon in honour of those who fell during the siege of Wienna. In 1848 he was named by the popular Government of Sicily Minister Plenipotentiary and Commissioner Extraordinary to the Pontifical Court, and he accepted the mission with the full assent of the Holy Father. The notion of a confederation of the Italian States, with the Pope for President, was borrowed by the Emperor Napoleon III. from Father Wentura ; but it encountered great opposition from Charles Albert, who had far different views, Wentura remained at Rome after the flight of the Pope. He was offered the Presidency of the Constituent Assembly, but declined the perilous distinction. He never believed in the durability of the Roman Republic, but he was strongly opposed to the attack on Rome by General Oudinot. He left the city on the 4th of May, and retired to Civita Vecchia under the protection of the French. Despairing of enlightening the public mind on the real state of Italy, and unable to render any further service to the Pope or to the nation, he quitted Italy for France, and took up his residence at Montpelier. Here he learnt with pain that his sermon “On the Wictims of Wienna" was condemned by the Congregation of the Index; but he submitted, nevertheless, and formally retracted the opinions he had advanced in that discourse. During his stay at Montpellier he published “Letters to a Protestant Minister,” with the view of refuting the arguments of a clergyman of Geneva who contended that St. Peter had never been in Rome. IIe remained two years at Montpelier, and practised preaching in the French language, and then came to Paris. Here, where his name was already known, he acquired celebrity" by his conferences with the sarants of the Observatory and the Institute, but, above all, by his sermons and his publications. For years he drew crowds to the churches of the Madeleine and St. Louis d'Antin. The original character of his style, the copiousness and energy of his language, and his bursts of lofty eloquence, not to speak of his vast store of theological science, made even his most fastidious hearers forget his peculiar pronunciation of the French tongue. He also preached the Lent sermons in the Imperial Chapel of

the Tuileries. He resided sometime at Wersailles, and then felt his health rapidly declining. When all hope was over, he earnestly besought the Bishop of Versailles to demand for him the benediction of the Pope. The Holy Father at once acceded, and the Pontifical blessing reached him only two or three days before he drew his last breath. Feb. 1. At the seat of the Marquess of Ailesbury, Tottenham Park, aged 44, Granville E. Harcourt Vernon, esq., late M.P. for Newark. This gentleman was the eldest son of Mr. Granville Harcourt-Vernon, son of the late Archbishop of York, and Chancellor of the Province of York, and was born on the 23rd of November, 1816. He was educated at Westminster School, from which he was elected a student of Christ Church, Oxford, at which University he took a second-class in classics in 1839, and graduated M.A. in 1840. For some years he was private secretary to the Earl of St. German's, then Chief Secretary for Ireland, and officiated in the same capacity to the Earl of Lincoln, now the Duke of Newcastle, when Chief Commissioner of Woods, and Chief Secretary for Ireland. Mr. Vernon-Harcourt married, in 1846, Frances, Dowager Countess of Waldegrave. March 22. At Hilton Park, Staffordshire, aged 81, General Vernon, C.B. The gallant deceased entered the army in 1798, and served in the campaign of 1808 and 1809 in the Peninsula as deputy assistant-adjutant general, and subsequently in the same capacity with the Duke of Wellington's army until June, 1811. He was present at the battle of Talavera, and served with the second battalion of the 66th at the surprise of a French division at Arroyo do Molinos, and other operations, until the capture of Badajoz. He was also with the Queen's at the reduction of the forts and the battle of Salamanca, where he was slightly wounded early in the day, and at the close of the action again severely. Following the army again, after the expiration of three weeks, he resumed the command of his regiment, in which he served in the various operations preceding, during, and subsequent to the siege of Burgos. For Salamanca he received the gold medal, and for the battle of Talavera the silver war medal with one clasp. Jan. 12. At Moseley Parsonage, aged 68, the Rev. William Williers, Wicar of Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, and Honorary Canon of Worcester Cathedral.


Sept. 25. At Government House, Seychelles, George T. Wade, esq., Civil Commissioner. Oct. 21. At Bath, aged 67, Colonel Sir Claude Martine Wade, knt., C.B. This able public servant was the son of the late Lieut.-Col. Joseph Wade, of the Bengal Army. In 1809 he entered the military service of the East India Company, in which he rose to the rank of Lieut.-Col. in 1839, and subsequently received the local rank of full colonel in India. Whilst holding a military commission, he was constantly employed in various civil posts. In 1823 he was appointed diplomatic agent at Loodianah, and in 1835 was placed in charge of our relations with Runjeet Sing and the States across the Indus. In 1838 he was sent on a special mission to Peshawur, to join the Sikh army with Shahzada Timoor, and was the first to force the Khyber Pass. In 1848 he was nominated political agent at Malwa, Central India—the last civil appointment which he held. Jan. 8. At her residence, Boulognesur-Mer, Mrs. Walker, widow of RearAdm. Walker, C.B. Sept. 16. In Charlotte-square, Edinburgh, the Lady Jane Walker, wife of Major-Gen. Walker, C.B., Commander of the Forces in North Britain, and daughter of the Earl of Seafield. July 24. At Coley Park, Reading, Catherine, wife of Sir Thomas Wathen Waller, bart. Jan. 9. Aged 66, Francis Walpole, esq., son of the late Hon. Robert Walpole. Dec. 4. At Wath, near Ripon, aged 66, the Rev. John Ward, M.A., rector of that parish. This gentleman, who was formerly vicar of Great Bedwyn in Wiltshire, devoted considerable attention to genealogical and antiquarian inquiries, and with great industry and perseverance extracting from the registers of his own and of neighbouring parishes all the important entries, cominunicating then, together with the epitaphs and church-notes, to the topographical and genealogical publications of the localities with which he was connected—pursuing the same line of investigation on his removal to Yorkshire. May 4. At Blackheath, aged 46, Lieut.-Col. Walter Warde, fourth son of the late Gen. Sir Henry Warde, G.C.B. March 7. At Warneford-place. Highworth, Wilts, aged 57, Lady Harriett Elizabeth Wetherell-Warneford, widow of Sir Charles Wetherell, knt., Re

corder of Bristol; after whose death she assumed, by Royal licence, her maiden name of Warneford. Feb. 6. At Laura-place, Bath, aged 67, Captain John Talbot Warren, R.N. Jan. 19. At Shrub Hill, Dorking, aged 61, Lady Elizabeth Wathen, dau. of the late Earl of Rothes. Sept. 3. At Bad Weilbach, Nassau, aged 40, William Charles Watts, esq., eldest son of the late Vice-Admiral Watts, C.B. June 4. At Hampton Bishop, Hereford, aged 71, Ann, widow of Col. Weare, K.H., Aide-de-Camp to the Queen. Sept. 11. At the Rookery, Sutton Coldfield, aged 80, Anne, sister of the late Rev. William Webb, D.D., Master of Clare College, Cambridge. Jan. 8. At the Rectory, Codford St. Mary, Wilts., aged 85, the Rev. George Mountjoy Webster, D.D. May 18. At Waletta, Malta, aged 56, Richard Wellesley, esq., eldest son of the late Richard Wellesley, esq., and grandson of Richard, Marquess Wellesley. May 27. At Exmouth, Devon, the Hon. Mrs. Wellington, second dau. of George, 13th Wiscount Hereford. Sept. 29. At his residence, Slade, near Kingsbridge, aged 71, Fortescue Wells, esq., Capt. R.A., a magistrate of the county of Devon. Jan. 24. At North Parade, Bath, aged 86, Gen. James Welsh, of the Madras Establishment. Sept. 23. At Clarence-cottages, Cambridge-road, near Hammersmith, aged 66, Capt. William Welsh, R.N. Jan. 25. At Winchester, Sarah, second dau. of the late Col. James Wemyss, and sister of the late Lieut.-Gen. Wemyss, C.B. Oc'. 5. At Jesmond, near Newcastleupon-Tyne, aged 74, Capt. Henry West, R.N., one of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace for that borough. Capt. West, who was the son of a clergyman of the Church of England, entered the navy in 1801, on board the Resistance, commanded by his relative Captain, afterwards Sir Henry, Digby. The vessel was shipwrecked two years later. Young West was in the Amphon in the memorable action with the four Spanish treasure frigates, when three were captured, and one blown up with all on board. Next year, in 1805, he served in the Africa, one of Lord Nelson's frigates, in his famous chase after the French fleet to the West

Indies and back, and was present at the decisive victory of Trafalgar. Mr. West, who was then master's mate, had charge of the signal department, and was severely wounded. In 1807 he had the bad luck to be taken prisoner by a Spanish corvette, while in charge of a prize, and remained a prisoner until the Spanish nation rose against their French oppressors. He was then sent home with despatches to the British Government, and was employed in communications with the patriots along the coast. In 1808 he received his commission as lieutenant, and served in the Lavinia in the Walcheren expedition. He was first-lieutenant of the Jaseur, on the coast of North America, and was engaged in many spirited actions with the Americans, and received the thanks of his admiral. After the peace, Mr. West was unemployed, except for a few months. His retirement he devoted to horticultural pursuits, in which he excelled, and to the performance of the duties of a country gentleman. For many years he was an active magistrate of Newcastle, in which district he was very highly esteemed. Capt. West was twice married, and has left one son and one daughter. May 28. In Camden-street North, Camden-town, aged 71, Ann, widow of William Westall, esq., A.R.A. Oct. 27. Aged 68, the Rev. John Master Whalley, of Clerkhill, Lancashire, and Rector of Slaidburn, Yorkshire, third son of the late Sir James WhalleySmythe-Gardiner, bart. Dec. 6. At his residence, in Gloucester-terrace, Hyde-park, aged 69, John Wheelton, esq., one of the Sheriffs of London and Middlesex in 1840. Mr. Wheelton and Mr. Evans were Sheriffs of London and Middlesex during the memorable collision between the House of Commons and the Common Law Courts, arising out of the case of Stockdale v. Hansard. Having levied an execution, under a writ from the Queen's Bench, on the goods of the Serjeant-at-Arms, these gentlemen were ordered to the bar of the House of Commons for breach of privilege, and committed to the custody of the Serjeant-at-Arms, by whom they were confined (though not very strictly) in one of the strong rooms of the old Palace of Westminster. It was, however, admitted, on further consideration, that the Queen's Bench was right, and the Sheriffs were discharged. Aug. 9. At the house of Major Pearce, Portishead, aged 71, Lady Whish, relict

of Lieut.-Gen. Sir W. S. Whish, K.C.B., of the Bengal Artillery. June 3. At Grasmere, Mary Euphemia, wife of Sir Thomas Woollaston White, bart., of Wallingwells, Notts. Sept. 17. Suddenly, Sir Wm. White, of Carah-lodge, Killarney, and Gloucester-place, Portman-square, London. June 21. At Simonosaki, Japan, aged 27, while in command of H.M.'s gunvessel Leven, one of the squadron employed in surveying the Japanese coast, James Hawkins Whitshed, Lieut. R.N., eldest son of Sir St. Vincent and the Hon. Lady Whitshed. Jan. 12. At Rode Hall, aged 88, Randle Wilbraham, esq., the younger son of Richard Wilbraham, esq., of Rode Hall, M.P. for Chester, to whose office of high steward of Congleton he succeeded in 1798. Mr. Wilbraham was the representative of a younger branch of one of the ancient families of Cheshire —“that seedplot of gentry"—being the 15th in direct male descent from Sir Richard de Wilburgham, high-sheriff for Cheshire in the 43rd Henry III., who, by his two marriages with heiresses of the Houses of Vernon, of Shipbrook, and Wenables of Kinderton, acquired large estates in the county, a portion of which is still in the possession of the elder branch of the family. During his long life Mr. Wilbraham was widely known for his liberality as a landlord, his unbounded charity, and for the stores of sound learning and the knowledge with which his cultivated mind was amply filled, which secured to him, during the protracted period he “dwelt among his own people,” the everincreasing respect with which he was re garded by them. Sept. 21. Aged 69, Mrs. Elizabeth Wildman, eldest daughter of the late James Wildman, esq., of Chilham Castle, Sept. 28. At St. Germain-en-Laye, Lady Harriet Catherine, relict of Sir John Williams, knt., one of the justicesof Her Majesty's Court of Queen's Bench. Oct. 10. At Clovelly Court, Bideford, Devon, aged 70, Sir James Hamlyn Williams, bart. April 24. At Whitburn Hall, near Sunderland, aged 63, Sir Hedworth Williamson, bart., a magistrate and deputylieut. of Durham, and M.P. for Sunderland in the Parliament of 1835–7. Sir Hedworth married, in 1826, the Hon. Anne Elizabeth Liddell, daughter of Lord Ravensworth, and has left issue.

July 22. After a few days illness, aged 38, James Neynoe Vivian Willyams, esq., a magistrate for the county of Cornwall. Oct. 22. At Brighton, aged 31, Robert Edward Eardley, eldest son of Sir Henry S. Wilmot, bart., of Chaddesden, Derbyshire. May 16. At Monkstown, aged 50, the Lady Janet, daughter of the 31st Earl of Mar, and wife of Edward Wilmot Chetwode, esq., of Woodbrook, Portarlington. July 13. At his house in St. John's Wood, aged 72, Fletcher Wilson, esq., Danish Consul-General, and Knight of the Royal Danish Order of the Dannebrog. April 25. At Nostell Priory, Yorkshire, (the seat of her brother, Charles Winn, esq.), aged 61, Miss Louisa Winn. Sept. 4. At the Vicarage, St. Bartholomew-the-Less, London, aged 90, the Rev. Samuel Wix, M.A., F.R.S., F.S.A., of Christ College, Cambridge, Hospitaller of St. Bartholomew's Hospital, Wicar of St. Bartholomew-the-Less, and Rector of Inworth, Essex. This clergyman was a man of indefatigable industry, and besides the conscientious discharge of his important clerical duties, he found time to make some very valuable additions to our theological literature. In 1808 he published a work on the Thirty-nine Articles, entitled “Scriptural Illustrations of the XXXIX Articles of the Church of England, with a Practical Comment on each Article, affectionately intended to Promote Religious Peace and Unity.” Mr. Wix was among the last of the old High Church School of Divines, a genuine follower of Robert Nelson and the foun

ders of the Christian Knowledge Society.

He cared more for devotional than polemical subjects; yet his intense desire for religious peace and unity led him into the thorny paths of controversy. In 1819 he wrote a work which commanded a great degree of public attention, styled, “Reflections concerning the Expediency of a Council of the Church of England and the Church of Rome being holden with a view to accommodate Religious Differences.” It produced an angry reply from Bishop Burgess; to which Mr. Wix wrote a most temperate answer. This work, however, attracted the attention of Jerome, Count de Salis, who had an intense sympathy for its object. He had it translated at his own expense into most of the modern languages of Europe, and maintained during his life a most affectionate intimacy with its author.

Mr. Wix's leading idea was, that both Churches contained many men of earnest piety and profound devotion; that if these men could only be brought together in the spirit of Christian brotherhood, the Spirit of Truth, in answer to their humble prayers, would unite the dissevered Churches in one grand body, free from error and the distortion of truth. That he had no sympathy for the temporal supremacy of the Papacy was proved by his Essay, in 1822, on “Plain Reasons why Political Power should not be granted to Papists,” which passed through two editions. The Rev. Mr. Wix was a man of singular humility and simplicity of character. Cheerful, and conversant with all the most interesting subjects of the day, pcssessor to the last of a vigorous intellect, a memory stored with interesting and valuable knowledge, and sound com. mon sense. Though he outlived all the friends of his youth, he has left those of a second and third generation to revere his memory, while they deplore his loss. The Governors of St. Bartholomew's, to mark their sense of his valuable services to their noble Institution, passed, at a general court held for the purpose, a resolution of the deepest respect to his memory, and ordered a commemorative marble tablet to be erected in the Church of St. Bartholomew-the-Less. June 10. At Norwich, aged 75, Elizabeth, dau. of the late Rev. Philip Wodehouse, Rector of Hingham, and Prebendary of Norwich Cathedral. Nov. 26. At her residence, Lowndessquare, Margaret, widow of Richard Wogan, Lord Talbot de Malahide and Furnival, of Malahide Castle, county Dublin. Oct. 29. At Dunse, Alexander Wood, esq., Advocate, Sheriff-Substitute of Berwickshire. Jan. 12. At Paris, aged 80, Colonel William Woodgate, C.B., formerly of the 60th Foot. In early life he saw much service in Canada, in the West Indies, and in the Peninsula. June 3. At Malvern, of neuralgia, which suddenly attacked the heart, aged 30, Arthington, second son of Sir W. Worsley, bart., of Hovingham, Yorkshire. Oct. 26. At Bebek, Turkey, aged 38, H. T. Wroth, esq., Legal Vice-Consul Chancelier of the Supreme Consular Court at Constantinople. Feb. 24. At Clifton, aged 61, Lieut.

« PreviousContinue »