« PreviousContinue »
PASTOR IN PAROCHIÂ.
WILLIAM WALSHAM HOW, M.A.
RECTOR OF WHITTINGTON, SHROPSHIRF.
10 PATERNOSTER ROW.
As aids in the fulfilment of Pastoral Visitation there seem to be required :
I. A Book of direction and counsel.
2. A Book for general use in ordinary cases of sickness among the uneducated.
3. A Book of the like sort adapted for the educated.
4. A Book for use in special cases, such as for Prisons and Penitentiaries, in cases of attempted suicide, &c.
5. A Book of progressive services and instruction for cases of long-continued sickness.
6. A Book of services, &c., for special occasions unconnected with sickness, such as Cottage Lectures, Missionary Meetings, &c.
The present Book is simply an attempt, among many others, to supply the second of the above requirements, and to a small extent (in the Appendix) the sixth also.
It is scarcely more than the arrangement and publication of materials collected, and to a large extent constantly used, by the editor during
many years. He humbly trusts that what has been practically useful to himself may be the same to others, especially to the younger of his ; clerical brethren.
The Editor will be most grateful for any criticisms, hints, and contributions, which may help to make a future edition, if called for, more ; valuable.