« PreviousContinue »
1. A book was bought for $.25, a slate for $.12. How much of a half-dollar is due in change?
2. Some beef was bought for $.32, some pork for $.18, and mutton for $.25. How much less than $1 is the bill ?
3. A lady bought cloth for $ 12, lining for $5, buttons for $.50. How much change should she receive from a $ 20 bill ?
4. I bought apples for $.20, oranges for $.15, and a pineapple for $.30. How much of a dollar is due in change?
5. Mr. A. traveled north 32 miles, south 12 miles, then north 20 miles. How far from the starting point was he ?
6. Butter cost $.45, flour $ 2.30, and berries $.25. How much less than $ 5 is the bill?
7. I bought lard for $ .25, sugar for $.30, and coffee for $.35. How much of a $1 bill had I left ?
8. A lady bought gloves for $1.75, ribbon for $.50, and shoes for $ 2.25. How much less than $ 5 is the bill ?
9. A farmer has 60 sheep. In one field he put 25, in another 15, and the rest in a third field. were put into the third field ?
10. A man bought a watch for $ 80, a chain for $ 18, and a ring for $10; he sold them for $ 100. How much did he lose in the transaction ?
11. A boy who had $1 bought one book for $.40, another book for $.25, and a slate for $.15. How much money did he have left ?
1. Take $.50; buy butter and cheese, and return with $.05. Tell how much each cost.
2. Take $.75; buy sugar, veal, and coffee, and return with $.15. Tell how much each cost.
3. Take $1; buy beef, bread, and milk, and bring back $. 25. Tell how much each cost.
4. Take $2; buy a necktic, a handkerchief, and 4 yards of muslin. How much did each article cost?
5. Take $3; buy a pair of gloves, 2 yards of dress lining, and a spool of thread, bringing back $.20. How much did each cost?
6. Take $ 4; buy a pair of shoes, a yard of ribbon, and a pair of half-hose, bringing back $.25. Give the price of each article.
7. Take $5; buy flour, coffee, and cheese, and bring back $.75. Tell how much was spent for each.
8. Take $10; buy calico, an umbrella, and some ribbon, bringing back $ 1.25. How much was spent for each ?
9. A book was bought for $.56. Name the coins received in change out of $.75.
10. I bought 4 pounds of beef at 16 cents a pound. Name the coins received in change out of $1.
11. A pair of gloves cost $1.35. Name the coins received in change out of $ 2.
12. A bill of goods amounted to $ 5.65. Name the bills and coins received in change out of $ 10.
13. The cost of a suit of clothes is $13.35. If a $ 20 bill is offered in payment, what coins and bills should be received in change?
14. A man's grocery bill amounted to $ 26.38. What change did he receive out of $30, which he offered in payment?
1. If of 4 yards of tape costs $.04, what is the cost of 1 of 6 yards ?
2. If 2 men can do a piece of work in 5 days, in what time can 4 men, working as fast, do it?
3. If 4 of 4 yards of velvet costs $4, what is the cost of of 10 yards ?
4. If a man can earn į of $ 12 in 3 days, how much can he earn in } of 12 days ?
5. If 4 boys, each receiving the same amount, can earn $ 8 in a week, how much less do 3 boys earn in the same time?
6. If 3 easy chairs cost $27, at the same rate how much is the cost of 4 chairs ?
7. How much do 5 hats of the same style and quality cost, if the cost of 4 such hats is $ 16 ?
8. How many pictures, each costing the same amount, can be bought for $30, if 4 such pictures cost $ 24 ?
9. What is the cost of 7 tons of coal, if 5 tons cost $ 25?
10. How much should be paid for riding 8 miles, if $.35 is paid for riding 5 miles ?
11. If $.42 is the cost of 6 pounds of soap, how many pounds can be bought for $.56 ?
12. If in an orchard planted in regular rows there are 45 trees in 5 rows, how many trees are there in 6 such rows ?
13. How much can 7 men earn in a day, if 6 men, doing the same kind of work, can earn $ 48 in the same time?
14. If 7 men can mow 49 acres of grass in one week, how many acres can 8 men, working as fast, mow in the same time?
15. If the paving of 8 feet of street costs $ 56, what is the cost of paving 9 feet?