« PreviousContinue »
1. If 3 quarts of milk cost 20 cents, how many quarts can be bought for 40 cents ?
2. If 4 railroad tickets to a certain town cost $9, what is the cost of 12 tickets ?
3. If 28 books are worth $ 32, what, at the saine rate, is the cost of 7 books ?
4. What is the cost of 3 pictures, if, at the same rate, 15 pictures are worth $ 40 ?
5. What is the cost of 4 pounds of beef, if, at the same rate, 12 pounds cost 30 cents ?
6. If a staff 5 feet high casts a shadow of 9 feet, how long a shadow is cast by a staff next to it 10 feet high?
7. If 12 barrels of flour cost $ 40, what is the cost of 3 barrels ?
8. How much are 15 loads of kindling wood worth, if 3 loads cost $ 12 ?
9. If 9 lamps cost $ 24, at the same rate how much are 3 lamps worth?
10. If a pole 24 feet high casts a shadow 30 feet long, how long a shadow does a pole 8 feet high cast ?
11. How many tons of hay can be cut from 27 acres of land, if 20 tons are cut from 9 acres of the land ?
12. If 12 pails of butter weigh 40 pounds, at the same rate how much do 3 pails of the same size weigh ?
13. If 4 men can mow a field of grass in 24 days, how many men can mow the field in 12 days ?
14. In how many days can 3 men do as much work as 4 men in 9 days?
15. If 5 hats cost $11, at the same rate how many hats can be bought for $44 ?
16. If 6 pairs of shoes cost $ 18, what is the cost of 3 pairs of shoes?
1. If 4 clocks cost $ 12, how many clocks of the same kind can be bought for $36 ?
2. How many tons of coal can be bought for $ 40, if 3 tons can be bought for $20 ?
3. If a man can travel 40 miles in 8 hours, how far, at the same rate, can he travel in 4 hours ?
4. If 7 books cost $ 11, how many books of the same kind can be bought for $ 33 ?
5. If a staff 4 feet high casts a shadow 5 feet long, what is the length of a staff that casts a shadow 25 feet long?
6. If 3 yards of carpet cost $ 4, what is the cost of 15 yards ?
7. How far can a man travel in 12 hours, if he can travel 20 miles in 3 hours ?
8. If 4 men can build a bridge in 24 days, how many men must be employed to build it in 12 days ?
9. In how many days can 9 men dig a ditch, if 3 mencan dig it in 30 days ?
10. If 5 reading charts cost $ 12, what is the cost of 15 such charts ?
11. What number of men can do as much work in 5 days as 4 men can do in 10 days ?
12. How many pounds of sugar can be bought for 25 cents, if 10 pounds can be bought for 50 cents ?
13. If 12 men can do a piece of work in 5 days, how many men can do the same work in 15 days?
14. What is the cost of 3 pairs of shoes, if 12 pairs cost $ 40 ?
15. How many men can earn as much money in 4 days as 3 men can earn in 12 days ?
16. If 5 oranges cost 25 cents, what, at the same rate, is the cost of 15 oranges ?
1. A worked 4 days in one week, which was twice as much as B worked. How many days did B work?
2. A man earns $ 12 a day, which was 3 times as much as his son earns. How much does the son earn ?
3. Hannah's age is 24 years, which is 4 times Alice's age. How old is Alice ?
4. George traveled 30 miles, which is 5 times as far as John traveled. How far did John travel ?
5. A length of 18 feet was broken from a flag pole, and the piece broken off was twice the length of the piece left standing. How many feet were left standing?
6. In one field there were 24 sheep, which was 3 times the number of sheep in another field. How many sheep were there in the second field ?
7. A farmer had 28 cattle, and the number of his cattle was 4 times the number of his horses. How many horses had he?
8. Mr. B. is 35 years old, and is 5 times the age of his son.
How old is the son ? 9. A watch cost $ 24, which was twice the cost of a chain. What was the cost of the chain ?
10. A suit of clothes cost $ 32, which was 4 times the cost of a pair of shoes. How much were the shoes worth ?
11. Mr. A. bought 40 acres of land, which was 5 times as much as Mr. B. bought. How many acres did Mr. B.
12. A miner dug 36 tons of coal, which was 3 times as much as his son dug. How many tons did the son dig?
13. Mrs. B. is 44 years of age, and is 4 times the age of her daughter. How old is her daughter ?
14. A farmer paid $ 60 for clover seed, which was 5 times the cost of his plow. Find the cost of the plow.
1. What is the cost of 3 acres of land at $35 an acre ?
SUGGESTION. Since one acre costs $ 35, 3 acres cost 3 times $35. 2. At $ 40 each, what is the cost of 4 cows ?
3. If it costs $ 45 to pave 3 rods of street, what is the cost per
rod ? 4. At the rate of $ 4 a day, in how many days can a man earn $ 80 ?
5. If one gallon of oil is worth 27 cents, what is the value of 3 gallons ?
6. How many tubs of butter can be bought for $ 72, if one tub costs $ 4 ?
7. How far can a man walk each day, if he can walk 50 miles in 4 days.
8. If one ton of hard coal is worth $ 7, how much, at the same rate, are 6 tons worth?
9. If Blanche can gather 100 quarts of nuts in 5 days, how many quarts can she gather each day?
10. If the expenses of a family are $ 5 each day, in how many days do their expenses amount to $ 200 ?
11. What is the cost of 6 lounges, if each lounge costs $ 15 ?
12. If a freight train travels at the rate of 54 miles in 4 hours, what is its rate of speed per hour ?
13. If 6 boys' suits of the same quality are worth $ 90, how much is each suit worth ?
14. At $ 7 each week, in how many weeks can a boy earn $ 84 ?
1 Only the methods of solution to problems under this head need be given by the pupils, the answers being omitted.
SOLUTIONS WITHOUT ANSWERS.
1. At $12 a ton, what is the cost of 8 tons of hay ? SUGGESTION. Since one ton of hay costs $ 12, 8 tons cost 8 times $ 12.
2. If 8 pounds of butter cost $ 2, what is the cost of one pound?
3. How many pictures can be bought for $72, if each picture can be bought for $8?
4. If a man can earn $ 50 in one month, how much can he earn in į of a month ?
5. If } of a man's age is 9 years, how old is he? How old will he be in 10 years ?
6. How old is a man, if of his age is 12 years ? How old was he 5 years ago ?
7. How much money can a man earn in one week, if he can earn $5 in ļof a week ?
8. If 8 bookcases are worth $ 96, what is the value of one of the bookcases ?
9. How many sheep can be bought for $ 108, at a cost of $ 9 each ?
10. At a cost of $ 10 each, how many chairs can be bought for $ 90 ?
11. If 10 loads of coal cost $ 100, how much, at the same rate, do 5 loads cost?
12. If 3 summer hats are worth $5, how much, at the same rate, are 2 hats worth ?
13. If 2 books are sold for $7, at the same rate, what is the selling price of 3 books?
14. How much should be paid for 4 finger rings, if 5 finger rings of the same kind are worth $ 10?
15. How much can a man earn in 5 days, if he can earn $ 12 in 4 days ?