« PreviousContinue »
and that fitteth on the Throne, and from the
Wrath of the Lamb.
676. Rev. vii, 17. The Lamb, which is in
the midst of the Throne.
xi, 15. The Kingdoms of this World are become the Kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Chrif; and he fhall reign for ever and ever.
678. xiv, 4. Being the First-fruits unto
God and to the Lamb.
xvii, 14. The Lamb Thall overcome them; For he is Lord of Lords, and King of
Kings. 680. xix, 13. And his Name is called, The * WORD of God.
681. 16. And he hath on his Vesture and
on his Thigh a Name written, King of Kings,
and Lord of Lords. 632. xxi, 22. For the Lord God Almighty,
and the Lamb, are the Temple of it. [Gr. For the Lord God Almighty is the Temple of it; and also, the Lamb.]
For the Glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the Light thereof.
684. Rev. xxii, 1. Proceeding out of the Throne
of God and of the Lamb.
685. 3. The Throne of jod and of the
Lamb fhall be in it; And His Servants shall ferve him.
686. 12, 13, 16. Behold, I come quickly,
and my Reward is with me, to give every man according as his work thall be.
I am * Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.
I Jefus ---- am the root and the off-spring of David, and the bright and morning-Itar.
* Wherein This differs from the Character of the Father, fee N° 414.
The Paffages wherein is set forth the Honour
and Worship, which ought to be paid to Him.
AT.xxviii, 19. Baptizing them in the
of the Son.
688. Luke xxiv; 51, 82. He was carried up into Heaven; And they worfibipped him:
689. Joh. V;22, 23. For the Father judgeth no
man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
That all men should bonour the Son, *even as they honour the Father:Hethat honoureth not the Son, honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
* Katws.time@on Ċ walioge. The Meaning is not, that the Sons Authority should, like. That of the Farner, be looked upon as Underived, Absolute, Supreme, and Independent; but that, as the Jews already believed in God, so they should alfo for the future believe in Christ, chap. xiv, 1; As they already honoured God the Father, so they should also for the future honour the Son of God; honour him, as having All judgment committed unto him; honour him, to the Honour of the Faiber which sent him; acknowledge him to be Lord, to the Glory of God the Father.
690. Aits i, 24. Thou Lord, which knoweft the
Hearts of all men, Mew whether of these
It is ambiguous, whether these words are direEted to Christ, or to God the Father : Though, bccause of Chrifts chusing thc rest of the Apostles, it seems rather more natural to suppose the Words directed to Him.
See N° 614
691. Afts ii, 21. Whosoever shall call on the 11 Name of the Lord, shall be saved.
:) to To call on the Name of Christ, being a Phrase used in great Variety of Senses, and, with lome other Synonymous Expressions, fignifying fometimes, believe ing in him, acknowledging him as our Saviour, openly pro
feling our selves Christians, or being baptized
in his Name; sometimes 2 invoking his Name upon diseased Persons, in order 10 a miraculous Cure; sometimes praying in bis Name, or through his Interceffion; sometimes 4 direct. ly calling upon, or invoking him; and sometimes perhaps several of these Significations being joined promiscuousy : It may not be improper to let down the several Pallages, that the Reader may compare them together in One View.
Alts ii, 21. Whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord, shall be saved.
Ats ix; 14, 21. To bind all that call on thy Name.
destroyed them, which called on this Name in Jerusalem.
AEts XV, 17. All the Gentiles, upon whom my Name is called.
Ats xxii, 16. Be baptized, and wash away thy Sins, calling on the Name of the Lord.
Rom. x; 11, 12, 13, 14. Whosoever believeth on him, [confesling with the Mouib the Lord Jesus, ver: 9, shall not be ashamed.
For the same Lord over all, is rich unto all that call upon him. .
For whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord, shall be saved.
How then shall they call on him, in whom they have not believed ? &c.
Rom. XV, 20, Not where Christ was named.
i Cor.1, s. Called to be Saints, with all that in e very place call upon the Name of Jesus Christ our Lord.
2 Tim. ii, 19. Let every one that nameth the Name of Christ, depart from Iniquicy
2 Tim. ii, 22. Follow righteousness, with, them that call on the Lord out of a pure Heart,
Jam. 11,7. That worthy Name, by the which ye are called. (Gr. to faixanno èy épinãs, which was called K3
upon you, or, quer you; viz. at your Baptism. The Expreslion is the fame as That above, Afts XV, 17.]
2 Atts xix, 13. To call, over them which had evil Spirits, the Name of the Lord Jefus.
Axts iii, 6. In the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk. 3 Heb. xiii, Is. By him
let us offer the Sacrifice of Praise to God giving Thanks [oro2pzóvtøv, confesling] to his Name, [or, in bis Name, τα ονόματι αυτο.]
4 Acts vii, 59. Calling upon [Gr. Fixadáulov, invoking,] and saying ; Lord Jesus, receive my Spirit.
692. Afts vii, 59. Lord Jesus, receive my Spi
ix, 14. To bind all that call on thy Name.
See N° 691.
21. Destroyed them which called on this Name.
See N° 691.
695. xxii, 14. Calling on the Name of the
See N° 691.
696. Rom. i, 7. Grace to you and Peace from the Lord Jesus Christ