« PreviousContinue »
O Jesus exalted on high,
Didst stoop to redeem a lost race,
And reign in thy kingdom of grace. 2. When thou in our flesh didst appear, All nature acknowledg'd thy birth; Arose the acceptable year,
And heav'n was open'd on earth:
The world was united to bless
The Prince and the Author of Peace. 3. O wouldst thou again be made known, Again in thy spirit descend, And set up in each of thine own, A kingdom that never shall end : Thou only art able to bless, And make the glad And bid the dire enmity cease,
And bow the whole world to thy sway.
In mercy establish below!
And discord afflict us no more. 5. No horrid alarum of war,
Shall break our eternal repose;
Where Jesus's Spirit o'erflows:
Hymn 29. s. M.
Up to thy gracious throne,
2. Jesus, the holy child,
Doth by his birth declare,
3. A peace on earth he brings,
Which never more shall end;
That we his grace may gain,
4. His kingdom from above He doth to us impart, And
pure benevolence and love
The sweet attraction find,
5. O might they all receive
And meekly in his spirit live,
Till he convey us home,
Hymn 30. P. M.
"HARK! the herald-angels sing,
"Peace on earth, and mercy mild; "God and sinners reconcil'd:" Joyful, all ye nations, rise, Join the triumphs of the skies; With th' angelic hosts proclaim, "Christ is born in Bethlehem." 2. Christ, by highest heav'n ador'd, Christ the everlasting Lord; Late in time behold him come, Offspring of a virgin's womb; Veil'd in flesh, the Godhead see, Hail th' incarnate Deity! Pleas'd as man with men ť Jesus our Immanuel here.
3. Hail, the heav'n-born Prince of Peace,
Adam's likeness now efface,
Hymn 31. c. M.
The Song of Angels at the Birth of Christ. Luke ü. 13, 14.
IGH let us swell our tuneful notes,
join th' angelic throng;
For angels no such love have known,
2. Good will to guilty men is shewn,
3. Justice and grace with sweet accord, His rising beams adorn:
Let heav'n and earth in concert join,
4. Glory to God in highest strains,
5. When shall we reach those blissful realms,
And learn of the celestial choir,
Hymn 32. L. M.
Types and Prophecies of Christ. EHOLD the woman's promis'd seed! Behold the great Messiah come! Behold the Prophets all agreed
To give him the superior room!
2. Abra'm, the saint, rejoic'd of old, When visions of the Lord he saw; Moses, the man of God, foretold This great fulfiller of his law. 3. The types bore witness to his name, Obtain'd their chief design, and ceas'd; The Incense and the bleeding Lamb,
The Ark, the Altar, and the Priest. 4. Predictions in abundance meet
To join their blessings on his head: Jésus, we worship at thy feet,
And nations own the promis'd seed.
2. THE OFFICES OF CHRIST.
The offices of Christ.
E bless the prophet of the Lord, That comes with truth and Grace; Jesus, thy Spirit and thy word Shall lead us in thy ways.
2. We rev'rence our High-Priest above,
3. We honour our exalted King; How sweet are his commands!
He guards our souls from hell and sin,
4. Hosanna to his glorious name,