« PreviousContinue »
5. But still the lustre of thy grace
Our warmer thoughts employs, Gilds the whole scene with brighter rays, And more exalts our joys.
Hymn 165. c. M.
ET av'rice, borne from shore to shore,
Thy word, O Lord, we value more,
2. Here mines of knowledge, love and joy
The purest gold without alloy,
3. The counsels of redeeming grace
4. Here light descending from above
3. Our num'rous griefs are here redrest
Nought we can ask to make us blest,
6. For these inestimable gains That so enrich the mind,
O may we search with eager pains,
Hymn 166. c. M.
ATHER of mercies, in thy word
For ever be thy name ador'd
2. Here, may the wretched sons of want Exhaustless riches find;
Riches, above what earth can grant,
3. Here the fair tree of knowledge grows
Sublimer sweets than nature knows,
4. Here, the Redeemer's welcome voice
5. O may these heav'nly pages be My ever dear delight;
And still new beauties may I see,
6. Divine instructor, gracious Lord!
Hymn 168. L. M.
in the Gospel of his Son,
Makes his eternal counsels known; "Tis here his richest mercy shines, And truth is drawn in fairest lines.
2. Here sinners of a humble frame
May taste his grace, and learn his name; "Tis writ in characters of blood Severely just, immensely good.
3. Here Jesus, in ten thousand ways,
4. Wisdom its dictates here imparts,
Hymn 168. L. M.
The Gospel is the power of God to salvation, Rom. 1.16. "HAT shall the dying sinner do,
That seeks relief for all his woe!
Where shall the guilty conscience find
2. How shall we get our crimes forgiv❜n,
3. In vain we search, in vain we try,
4. This is the pillar of our hope,
Which bears our fainting spirits up;
Hymn 169. c. M.
HALL Atheists dare insult the cross
Shall Infidels revile his truth,
3. What if his gospel bids us strive
4. What if the men, despis'd on earth,
This but confirms his truth the more,
5. Then let our faith be firm and strong,
Hymn 170. L. M.
HIS is the word of truth and love, Sent to the nations from above; Jehovah here resolves to shew What his Almighty grace can do. 2. This remedy did wisdom find, To heal diseases of the mind; This sov'reign balm, whose virtues can Restore the ruin'd creature, man.
3. The gospel bids the dead revive,
4. May but this grace my soul renew,
Hymn 171. L. M.
WAS by an order from the Lord, The ancient prophets spoke his word; His Spirit did their tongues inspire, And warm'd their hearts with heav'nly fire. 2. The works and wonders which they wrought, Confirm'd the messages they brought;
The prophet's pen succeeds his breath,
And read his name who died for me.
4. Let the false raptures of the mind Be lost and vanish in the wind: Here I
can fix my hope secure ;
This is thy word, and must endure.
Hymn 172. c. M.
E sons of earth prepare the plough;
2. The seed that finds a stony soil,
3. The thorny ground is sure to baulk
4. The beaten path and highway side
The watchful birds the spoil divide,