Page images

returned to him by the Herald, he made a low obeisance to his Majesty. Then the Cup-bearer brought to the King a gilt bowl of wine, with a cover; his Majesty drank to the Champion, and sent him the bowl by the Cup-bearer. This the Champion, having put on his Gauntlet, received, and retiring a little, drank thereof, again made his humble reverence to his Majesty; and, being accompanied as before, rode out of the Hall, taking the bowl and cover with him as his fee.

Immediately after the return of the Champion, Garter King of Arms, attended by the rest of the Heralds, thrice proclaimed his Majesty's style at three separate parts of the Hall, and each time in as many different languages; viz. Latin, French, and English. The first Proclamation was upon the top of the steps, near the Royal Table, the second near the centre of the Hall, and the third at the lower end of the same. The various forms were as follow:

Serenissimi, Potentissimi, et Excellentissimi Monarchæ GEORGII

Terti Dei Gratia, Magnæ Britanniæ, Franciæ, et Hiberniæ
Regis, Fidei Defensoris.

says he, “a gentleman told me so, who saw him there, and whispered in his ear-* Your Royal Highness is the last of all mortals whom I should expect to see here;' • It was curiosity that led me,' said the other : ‘but, I assure you,' added he, ‘that the person who is the cause of all this pomp and magnificence, is the man I envy the least !'

It has also been reported, in addition to these evidences, that when the Champion cast down his Gauntlet for the last time, a white glove fell from some of the Spectators, who were in an elevated situation; and that on its being handed to the Champion, he demanded “who was his fair foe?” supposing that some lady had accidentally dropped it. As soon as this story became public, it was instantly connected with the young Chevalier, and the glove was said to have been thrown by him, who was present in female attire. That the latter might have been the case seems from the letters already cited, to be extremely probable, but it also appeared impossible that any one should thus hazard so much as the casting down a gage to the King's Champion would bring upon them. Such was the light in which the affair was viewed at the time, and it soon passed away entirely disbelieved.

Du Tres Haut, Tres-Puissant, et Tres Excellent Monarque, GEORGE

le TROISIEME, par la Grace de Dieu, Roy de Grande Bretagne,

France, et Irlande, Defenseur de la Foi. The Most High, Most Mighty, and Most Excellent Monarch, George

the THIRD, by the Grace of God King of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, Defender of the Faith.

The Second Course was then served up with the same Ceremonies as the first, and several of the Services allowed by the Court of Claims, were afterwards performed.

About ten o'clock the Peeresses, by the courtesy of their Majesties, began to withdraw, in order to avoid, as much as possible, the crowd without, which was assembled to gaze upon Royalty. A short time after that hour, the King and Queen departed in the same manner as they came; and, according to former custom, the Hall doors were immediately thrown open, and the multitude admitted, when every thing that remained of the Festival, was seized upon and carried away.


It has been an ancient custom, that the new Sovereign, on the first Lord-Mayor's-day, or ninth of November, after his Coronation, should dine with the Chief Magistrate and Corporation of the City of London. Many accounts are extant of the sumptuous manner in which former Monarchs have been banquetted, and of the Pageants with which they have been greeted; but few of those Festivals can be put in competition with that given to their late Majesties, on Monday, November 9th, 1761. For a considerable time before-hand, Guildhall was being repaired and beautified, and six hundred pounds were appropriated by the City to these Services.

As in an instance already mentioned, the best account of this Civic Festival was given in a long descriptive letter published at the time, of which, as it contains several circumstances not otherwise recorded, while, at the same time, it does not omit any thing worthy of remembrance, the greater part is now reprinted. It is possible, as the second letter is without a signature, that it was written by the same hand as the former; and, indeed, there may be traced a great resemblance between the styles in which they are both composed; and whatever other doubts may be excited by them, it will never be supposed that they were not the relations and descriptions of an eye-witness.

“ When I got up,” says the writer of this amusing detail, “the morning was so foggy that I could scarce see across the way; but, as at the Coronation, it soon after cleared

and we had the uncommon satisfaction of having as fine a day as ever was known at this season of the year. I call it uncommon, because it has been remarked almost to a proverb, that the Lord-Mayor's-day is generally a bad one. That part of the Ceremony, on this occasion, which is presented to us on the water, is perhaps equal to any thing of the kind in Holland or Venice. I therefore took a boat, and ordered the waterman to row me alongside the Lord Mayor's and the Companies' barges, as they proceeded on to Westminster. The Thames was quite covered with boats and gilded barges. The Skinners' barge was distinguished from the rest by the outlandish dresses, in strange spotted skins and painted hides, of their rowers. The barge belonging to the Stationers' Company, after having passed the narrow strait through one of the arches of Westminster-bridge, and tacked about to do honour to the Lord Mayor's landing, touched at Lambeth, and took on board a hamper of claret (the tribute annually paid to learning) from the Archbishop's Palace. This,



indeed, is constantly reserved for the future regalement of the Master Wardens, and Court of Assistants, and not suffered to be shared by the common crew of Liverymen.

As the ceremonies of swearing in the Lord Mayor at Westminster-Hall are so well known, and repeated annually, I did not stay to see them, but landed as soon as I could, in my return back, at the Temple-stairs. Here I found that some of the City Companies had disembarked from among their barges before me. All along Temple-lane, leading from the stairs, I saw them drawn up in order, between a row of the Trainbands on each side, who kept excellent discipline; the Templegate at the top of the lane, opening into Fleet Street, being kept shut, and barricaded from assailants; and only some small parties of the unorderly, undisciplined mob, on the forlorn hope, just reconnoitering them through the defiles of the by-courts and passages, and retreating as fast as they could, in order to make a stand in the high roads, through which these regulars were afterwards to force a passage. The barges belonging to some of the other Companies, had the prudence, as there was no danger of short allowance, not to land their men, who regaled themselves comfortably on board, while the others were cooling their heels in the lane some hours, waiting till the Royal Procession had passed by. The Lord Mayor, indeed, and his attendants, were invited by the Master and Benchers of the Temple to come on shore, and were refreshed in the Temple-Hall.

“I made my way, as well as I could, through the crowd, to the Queen's Arms Tavern, the corner of St. Paul's Church-yard, kept by honest Bates, so remarkable for his good wines and good treatment in every other respect. Here a party of us had secured a room which commanded a complete view of both the Royal and City Processions. Mrs. Hemings was at Messrs. Carr and Ibbertson's, upon Ludgate-hill, who, as well as their neighbours, Palmers and Fleetwood, had not only filled every window in their houses, but built a large scaffolding before their doors, for the accommodation of their friends. Every house, indeed, from Temple-bar to Guildhall, was crowded from top to bottom, and many had scaffoldings besides. Carpets and rich hangings were hung out on the fronts all the way along. And for the honour of the city I must observe, that contrary to what was practised at the Coronation, instead of letting out places to hire, and making money of provisions at advanced prices, the inhabitants (some few excepted) generously accommodated their friends and customers gratis, and entertained them in a most elegant manner: so that, though the Citizens' shops were shut, they might be said to have kept open house. The same was also done in all the streets from St. James's through which the Royal Cavalcade was to pass.

“This set out from the Palace about 12 o'clock; but (would you believe it?) by the mismanagement of those who should have taken care to clear the way of hackneycoaches and other obstructions, such long and frequent stops were made, that it was near four hours before the Royal Family got to friend Barclay's house, opposite to Bow-church, from whence they were to see the City Procession, in a balcony hung with crimson silk damask; by which delay my Lord Mayor was enabled to return the compliment to his Majesty, who was just as much in the dark, at the coming back of the Procession at the Coronation. As the Royal Family passed by our window, I counted between twenty and thirty coaches, belonging to them and their attendants, besides those of the Foreign Ambassadors, Officers of State, and the principal Nobility.

“The Royal Family proceeded in the following order:

« PreviousContinue »