« PreviousContinue »
SUPREME COURT OF CALIFORNIA.
3. No person rejected shall be at liberty
to renew the application earlier than the 1. Applicants for license to practice as at- third regular term next after such rejection. torneys and counselors, will be examined in open court on the first day of each regular
Rule II. term, and on that day only. Until further order the examination will be based upon the
TRANSCRIPT. following books: Blackstone's Commentaries, Kent's Commentaries, Greenleaf's Evi
1. The appellant in a civil action shall, dence (first volume), Story's Equity Juris- within forty days after the appeal is perprudence, Gould's Pleading, Lube's Equity fected and the bill of exceptions and the Pleading, Parsons on Contracts, Pomeroy's statement (if there be any) are settled, serve Introduction to Municipal Law, Code of Civil and file the printed transcript of the record, Procedure, Civil Code, constitutions of the duly certified to be correct by the attorneys United States and of the state of California. of the respective parties, or by the clerk of Persons applying for admission, whether up- the court from which the appeal is taken. on examination or motion, must personally appear in court at the time the application
EVIDENCE OF SERVICE. for admission is made. No applicant will 2. Written evidence of the service, upon be examined unless there shall have been the adverse party, of the transcript shall be filed with the clerk of the court, before the filed therewith. first day of the term at which the application is made, a certificate signed by at least
EXTENSION OF TIME. two attorneys of the court, each of whom shall have been regularly engaged in prac
3. The time above limited may be extice as such attorney for at least four years tended by stipulation, but shall not be exnext theretofore, stating, in substance, that tended by the court more than twenty days; they have, and that each of them has, care- and such extension of time shall be granted fully and diligently examined the applicant only upon good cause shown by affidavit. touching the qualifications of such applicant in point of learning in the law; that it sat
BRIEFS. isfactorily appeared to them, and to each of
4. Thirty days after the filing of the tranthem, upon such examination, that the ap- script, and, in cases where the transcript plicant had been engaged in the study of shall be on file at the date when this rule the law for a period of time to be named in takes effect, then within thirty days after the certificate, naming the place at which, such date, the appellant shall file with the and the person under whom, if any, such clerk his printed points and authorities, and study had been prosecuted; that the appli- with it proof of the service of one copy cant had, during that time, read certain thereof upon the attorney or attorneys of books of law, which books shall be enumer- each respondent who shall have appeared ated in the certificate; and stating any other separately in the superior court. Within fact tending to show the character of the thirty days after the service of appellant's attainments of the applicant, and also stat points and authorities, the respondent shall ing that, in their opinion, the applicant pos. file and serve his printed points and authorisesses the requisite qualifications in point of ties: and within ten days after service of learning in tbe law, to be entitled to be ad- respondent's points the appellant may file a mitted to practice.
In criminal cases the appellant shall file FEE.
his points and authorities (with proof of 2. The fee for license must, in all cases, service of a copy thereof on the attorney be deposited with the clerk of the court be general) within ten days after the filing of fore the application is made, to be returned the transcript. The attorney general shall to the applicant in case of rejection.
file and serve his points and authorities with64 P.
in ten days after service upon him of the
DISMISSAL OF APPEAL.
lant's points and authorities be not filed
within the time prescribed, the appeal may
If the transcript, or the points and authori-
submitted for decision upon the motion of
the appellant, on notice thereof to the re-
6. Besides the original there shall be filed CERTIFICATE OF CLERK ON MOTION
1. On motion to dismiss an appeal for a
certificate of the clerk below, under the seal
of the court, certifying the amount or char-
acter of the judgment or order appealed
thereof on the adverse party, and the char-
appears; the fact and date of filing an un-
dertaking on appeal, and that the same is
a request, that he has not paid the fees
therefor, if the same have been demanded.
2. On motion to dismiss the appeal on any
script within the prescribed time, the mov-
the matters above mentioned, or of affida-
SERVICE OF MOVING PAPERS.
3. Copies of the moving papers, except the
transcript, shall be served with notice of the
DISMISSAL OF APPEAL.
pired or not.
PRINTING OF TRANSCRIPT.
TRANSCRIPT, SERVICE, AND CERTIFI-
Before the printed transcript (in cases in
the adverse party, and if there be more than
certificate, or, if deemed incorrect, shall neg.
upon the party making the request a writ-
ten statement of the particulars in which the
transcript is incorrect, or, upon the presen-
tation of the transcript corrected in the par-
certificate to such transcript from the clerk
of the proper court shall be taxed against
the party whose attorney so neglects or re-
CLERK MAY PRINT TRANSCRIPTS AND
CERTIFY TO SAME.
1. The written transcript in civil causes,
pay the expenses of printing the same, may
file the same and cause the transcript to be
copy so certified shall also be filed, and con-
written transcript on file. Printed copies
thereof shall be furnished as provided in
Rule II.; and the clerk shall also immedi-
ately transmit, by mail or express, copies
to the attorneys of the adverse parties, and
POINTS WHERE CLERK PRINTS
the clerk, shall commence to run from the
filing of the printed copy of the transcript.
COST OF PRINTING.