« PreviousContinue »
cause they proceed not from an heart purified by faith"; nor are done in a right manner, according to the word"; nor to a right end, the glory of God"; they are therefore sinful, and cannot please God, or make a man meet to
receive grace from God “.
And yet their neglect of them
is more sinful, and displeasing unto God".
* Gen. iv. 5. But unto Cain, and to his offering, he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell. With Heb. xi. 4. By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and by it he, being dead, yet speaketh. Ver. 6. But without faith it is inpossible to please him : for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. *1 Cor. xiii. 3. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Isa. i. 12. When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand te tread my courts 2 b Matth. vi. 2. Therefore, when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hyPocrites do, in the synagogues, and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. Yer, 5., And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are ; for they love to pray standing in the synagogues, and in the corner; of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. Ver. 16. More. over, when ye fast, be not as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: főr they disfigure their faces, that they
may appear unto men to fast. very I say unto you, They have their reward.
• Hag. ii. 14. Then answered Haggai, and said, So is this people, and so is this nation before me, sith the Lord; and so is every work of their hands, and that which they offer there is unclean. Tit. i. 1% Unto the pure all things are pur": but unto §: that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure;. but even their mind and conscience is do filed. Amos v. 21. I hate, I despo. your feast days, and I will not o in your solemn assemblies. ver, -Though ye offer me burnt-offering. and your meat-offerings, will . accept them; neither will I regar the peace-offerings of your fat beasts Hosea i. 4. And the Lord said unto him, Call his name Jezreel; for yet a little while, and I will avenge the blood of Jezreel upon to house of Jehu, and will caus” ” cease the kingdom of the house of Israel. Röm. ix. 16. So tho' it is not of him that willeth, ". of him that runneth, but of Go: that sheweth mercy. Tit. " 5. Not by works of rigo. which we have done, but aco” ing to his mercy he saved us, o the washing of regeneration, * renewing of the Holy Ghost.
d Psal kiv. 4. Have all the W*, ers of iniquity no knowloo. who eat up my people as tho' o bread, and call not upon the Lord,
CHAP, XVII. Of the Perseterance of the Saints. o
* THEY whom God hath accepted in his Beloved, effec.
| *tually called and sanctified by his Spirit, can neither totally nor finally fall away from the state of grace; but o certainly persevere therein to the end, and be etergo nally saved". r is fi Ti, overance of the saints depends not upon their s Wilfree will, but upon the immutability of the decree of lection, flowing from the free and unchangeable love of God the Father"; upon the efficacy of the merit and intercession
- Yo pay tithe of mint, and * **mmin, and have omitted foundation of God standeth sure,
having this seal, The Lord o: *"Frey, and faith; the eth them that are his. And, i. o: * have done, and not to every one that nameth the man ave the
of Jesus Christo; the abiding of the Spirit,
and of the seed
of God within them "; and the nature of the covenan
everlasting love : therefore with lowing-kindness have I drawn thee. • Heb. x. 10. By the which will we are sanctified, through the of fering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. Ver. 14. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Heb. xiii. 20. Now, the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, Ver. 21. Make you perfect in every good work, to do his will, working in you that which is well-pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen, Heb. ix. 12. Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood, he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. Ver. 13. For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh; Ver. 14. How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God Ver. 15. And for this cause he is the Mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. Rom. viii. 33. Who shall lay any thing to the charge of . God's elect? It is God that justifieth : Ver. 34. Who is he that condemneth It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen
But I have prayed
who is even at the fig"
again, also maketh in
hand of God, who tercession for us. Ver. 33. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, ". nakedness, or peril, or sword Ver, 36. (As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; W* * accounted as sheep for the slaughter) ver, 57. Nay, in all these thogo are more than conquerors, through him that loved us. Ver, 88. Fo I am persuaded, that neithe: death, nor life, nor angels, nor principal: ties, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Ver, 39. Nor height, nor depth, nor, any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, wijs in Christ Jesus our Lord. John xvii. 11. And now I am * more in the world; but these.”
in the world, and I come to thee."
Holy Father, keep through hast
own name those whom th9" given me, that they may be one, as we are. Ver. 24. Father, I will that they also, whom th9. ho given me, bé with me where I am ; that they may behold my glory which thou hast given no * thou lovedst me before the so. tion of the world. Luke X* 32, for thee, that thy faith fail not ; and when tho' art converted, strengthen thy brethren. Heb. vii. 25. Wherefore he is able also to save them to the utternmost that come unto God . him, seeing he ever liveth to mo intercession for them. a john Xiv. 16. And I will Po. the Father, and he shall go" you
another comforter, that h" . * abide
ts of grace"; from all which ariseth also the certainty and in- o of fallibility thereof".
III. Nevertheless they may, through the temptations of Satan and of the world, the prevalency of corruption re| maining in them, and the neglect of the means of their preto servation, fall into grievous sins"; and for a time continue so therein": whereby they incur God's displeasure', and so - 13
abide with you for ever; Ver, 17. III. 8 Matth. xxvi. 70. But he Even the Spirit of truth, whom denied before them all, saying, I the world cannot receive, because know not what thou sayest. Ver, 72. it seeth him not, neither knoweth And again he denied with an oath, him; but ye know him, for he i do not know the man. Ver, 74. "welleth with you, and shall be Then began he to curse and to in you, 1 John ii. 27. But the swear, saying, I know not the man. *oining which ye have received And immediately the cock crew. o of him abideth in you; and ye h Psal, li. [the title.] To the *d not that any man teach you : chief musician, A psalm of David, o, as the same anointing teach- when Nathan the prophet came unth you of all things, and is truth, to him, after he had gone in to and is no lie; and even as it hath Bathsheba. Ver. 14. Deliver me taught you, ye shall abide in him, fica; blood-guiltiness, O God, thou ! John iii. 9. Whosoever is born of God of my salvation: and my tongue God doth not commit sin; for his shall sing aloud of thy righteousness. teed remaineth in him; and he can- i Isa. lxiv. 5. Thou meetest him not sin, because he is born of God. that rejoiceth and worketh righ
‘Jer, wrii. 40. And I will make teousness, those that remenber thee * everlasting covenant with them, in thy ways : behold, thou art that I will not turn away from wroth, for we have sinned: in those them to do them good; but I will is continuance, and we shall be Put my fear in their hearts, that saved. Ver, 7. And there is none they shall not depart from me. that calleth upon thy name, that
lohn x. 28. And I give un- stirreth up himself to take hold to them eternal life, and they of thee : for thou hast hid thy *all never perish, neither shall face from us, and hast consumed *y pluck them out of my hand, us, because of our iniquities. Ver. 9. '?...Thess, iii. 3. But the Lord is Be not wroth very sore, O Lord, faithful, who shall stablish you, and neither remember iniquity for ever: *p you from evil, 1 John ii. 19. behold, see, we beseech thee, we They went out from us, but they are all thy people. 2 Sam. xi. 27. Were not of us: for if they had And when the mourning was past, on of us, they would no doubt David sent and fetched her to his have continued with us; but they house, and she became his wife, went out, that they might be and bare him a son : but the thing *de manifest that they were not that David had done displeased the all of us, Lord,
his Holy Spirit"; come to be deprived of some measure of their graces and comforts'; have their hearts hardened", and their consciences wounded"; hurt and scandalize others", and bring temporal judgments upon themselves".
CHAP. XVIII. Of Assurance of Grace and Salvation.
LTHOUGH hypocrites, -
and other unregenerate men, lse hopes and
carnal presumptions of being in the favour of God and
k Eph. iv. 30. And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
1 Psal. li. 8. Make nie to hear joy and gladness : that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. Ver. 10. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Ver, 12. Restore unto me the joy of thy salwation; and uphold me with thy free Spirit. Rev. ii. 4. Nevertheless, I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Cant. v. 2. I sleep, but my heart waketh : it is the voice of my beloved that knocketh, saying, Open to me, my sister, my love, my dove, wny undefiled: for my head is filled with dew, and my locks with the drops of the night. Ver. 3. I have put off my coat; how shall I put it on 2 I have washed my feet; how shall I defile them 2 Ver, 4. My beloved put in his hand by the hole of the door, and my bowels were moved for him. Ver. 6. I 9pened, to my beloved ; but my beloved had withdrawn himself, and was gone : my soul failed when he spake : I sought him, but I could not find him; I called him, but he gave me no answer.
* Isa. lxiii. 17. O Lord, why hast thou made us to err from thy ways,