« PreviousContinue »
PSA L M CXIX.
It is generally supposed to have been written by David,
during his exile among the Philistines, whither be had been driven by the perfecution of Saul. The Atructure is remarkable; it consists of twenty-two secs țions, denoted by the letters of the Hebrew alphabet; and each section consists of eight verses, the first of which in each fetion begins with the different letters in succesion.
1. BLESSED are the undefiled in the
who walk in the law of the Lord.
2. Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and seek him with the whole heart,
3. They also do no iniquity; they walk in his ways.
4. Thou hast commanded that thy precepts be diligently kept.
5. Oh that my ways may be so directed that I may keep thy statutes.
6. Then shall I not be ashamed, while I have refpect unto all thy commandments.
7. I will praise thee with an upright heart; when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
8. I will keep thy commandments; O do not utterly forsake me.
9. Wherewith shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed according to thy word.
10. With my whole heart have I fought thee; O let me not wander from thy commandments.
II. Thy words have I hid within my heart, that I might not fin against thee.
12. Blessed art thou O Lord; O teach me thy statutes.
13. With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.
14. I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.
15. I will meditate in thy precepts, and have refpect unto thy ways.
16. I will delight myself in thy statutes ; I will not forget thy word.
17. Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live and keep thy word.
18. Take the covering from mine eyes, that I may behold the wondrous things of thy law.
19. I am a sojourner in the land, hide not thy commandments from me.
20. My soul pineth with the desire, that it hath always for thy judgments.
21. Thou haft rebuked the proud, they that err from thy commandments are cursed.
22. Remove from me rebuke and shame, for I have kept thy testimonies.
23. Though princes fit and speak against me, thy servant meditates in thy statutes.
24. Thy testimonies also are my delight, and thy commandments my counsellors.
25. My soul cleaveth unto the dust; quicken thou me according to thy word.
26. I have acknowledged my ways and thou heardest me; O teach me thy statutes.
27. Make me to understand the way of thy precepts; fo will I meditate on thy wondrous works.
28. My soul melteth away for very heaviness; strengthen thou me according to thy word.
29. Remove from me the way of iniquity; and make me to refpect thy law.
30. I have chosen the way of truth; thy judgments have I laid before me.
31. I cleave unto thy testimonies; O Lord put me not to shame.
32. I will run the way of thy commandments, when thou shalt enlarge my heart.
way of thy statutes, and I will keep it unto the end,
34. Give me understanding that I may keep thy law, and I will observe it with my whole heart.
35. Make me to go in the path of thy commandments, for therein is my
desire. 36. Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to the love of gain.
37. Turn away
eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way.
38. Establish thy word unto thy servant, that I
may fear thee.
the rebuke that I am afraid of; for thy judgments are good.
40. Behold, my delight is in thy commandments; O quicken me in thy righteousness.
41. Let thy mercies come also unto me, O Lord; thy salvation according to thy word.
42. So shall I answer him that reproacheth me, because
trust is in thy word. 43. And take not out of my mouth the word of truth, for I have hoped in thy judgments.
44. So shall I always keep thy law, yea for ever and ever
45. And I will walk at large, because I seek thy precepts.
46. I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.
47. And I will delight myself in thy commandments which I have.greatly loved.
48. My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, and my study shall be in thy statutes.