« PreviousContinue »
1. What is 10% of 200 ?
The character, %, means per cent. Ten per cent of 200 means 10% of 200. 2. What is 6% of $1? Of $5?
Of $5? Of $8? Of $17?
3. What is 121% of $16? Of $48? Of $40 ? Of $36 ?
4. A man has 20 sheep and intends to purchase 20% more. How many sheep will he then have ?
5. If a man sells 142 % of a herd of 84 cattle at $25 each, how much does he receive for them?
6. What per cent of 40 is 142% of 35 ?
7. What per cent of 80 is 20% of 100? 20% of 200 ?
8. What per cent of 100 is 25% of 80 ? 663% of 75 ?
9. Three hundred men were employed by a contractor If 831 % were able to do the work, how many men were disqualified ?
10. In an orchard of 270 trees 333% are pear trees, 50% are apple trees, and the rest are peach trees. How many trees of each kind in the orchard ?
11. A farmer had 120 sheep and sold 20% of them. How many sheep did he have left ?
12. A school has 300 pupils and 95% are pres. ent. How many are absent ?
13. If a town of 1500 inhabitants gains in a year 4%, how many does it gain ?
14. A merchant pays 10 cents a yard for prints and sells at 20% advance. What does he get a yard?
15. If an agent receives 4% commission for selling $800 worth of goods, how many dollars does he receive? How many does he pay to his employer ?
16. If a farmer raised $500 worth of wheat last year and $600 worth this year, what is his per cent gain this year over last year ?
17. If Arthur pays 50 cents for a knife and sells it for 55 cents, what is his per cent of gain ?
18. A physician who charged during a year for visits $1200, collected 831% of it, and for collecting paid an agent 81%. How much did the physician himself secure? How much did the agent receive for collecting ?
19. Of 40 words Julia misspelled 4, James 5, John 8, and Jane 10. What mark on a scale of 100 ought each to have ?
20. What per cent of $10 is $2.50 ? $5?
21. In the conjugation of verbs there are 150 forms to be written. What mark on a scale of 100 ought a boy to receive who missed 1 form ? 2 forms ? 3 forms ? 6 forms ? 12 forms ? 25 forms ? 75 forms ?
22. In the declension of nouns there are 75 forms to be written. If a boy is marked 96 on a scale of 100, how many forms does he write incorrectly? A boy who is marked 88 ? 80 ? 72 ? 56 ?
23. If a man pays $4 for the loan of $33}, what per cent does he pay ?
24. If a hatter sells for $4 apiece hats that cost him $3.75, what is his per cent of gain?
25. If a hatter sells for $3.75 hats that cost him $4, what per cent does he lose ?
26. If a man buys a share of stock for $80 and receives as dividend each year $4, what per cent does he receive ?
27. If a man buys a share of stock for $120 and receives as dividend each year $8, what per cent does he get on his investment ?
28. If 331 per cent of 60 bushels of corn is sold, how many bushels remain ?
29. If I pay 10% for collecting a bill of $87.50, how much do I get ?
30. If for immediate payment Mr. Brown gets 5% deduction from a bill of $31.20, how much does he pay?
31. How must goods that cost 40 cents a yard be sold to gain 5% ? 10% ? 12; % ? 15% ? 20% ? 25% ? 30% ? 35% ? 40% ? 50% ?
32. Of 50 barrels of apples 20% were found to be spoiled, and the rest were good. How many barrels of apples were good ?
33. If a man pays $45 for a pair of oxen and sells them for $50, what per cent does he gain?
34. From a cask of 50 gallons of molasses a grocer had sold 5 gallons. What per cent had he sold ?
35. What per cent of $50 is $10? $20 ? $25 ? $27.50? $35? $50 ? $75? $100 ? $150 ?
36. Of a brood of 9 chickens 3 were killed. What per cent were left alive?
37. A grocer sold tea at 55 cents a pound and thus gained 10%. What did the tea cost him a pound?
38. If a grocer sells tea at 55 cents a pound and thus loses 10%, what did the tea cost him a pound ?
39. If a man sells anything at half of its cost, what per cent does he lose ?
40. If a man sells anything for twice as much as it cost, what per cent does he gain ?
41. What does a man get for an article on which he loses 100% ?
42. What do you say about losing 150% ? Gaining 150% ?
43. If Mr. Thorndike invests of his money in land, what per cent of it does he so invest ?
44. $50 is 50% of how many dollars ? 25% ? 20%? 10% ? 62% ? 331% ? 100% ?
45. What per cent of a number is one fourth of it? Three fourths ? One eighth ?
Three eighths? Five eighths? Five quarters ?
46. A dealer who pays 5% for selling goods paid one of his salesmen for his day's sales $3. How many dollars worth of goods did the latter sell ?
47. At 5% what sum can be insured for a premium of $50 ?
48. Peter spends $0.25, and this is 33} % of all he has. How much money has he left ?
49. A merchant sends his agent $ 52.50 from which he is to take his commission of 5% and expend the rest for sugar.
What sum will the agent have to expend ?
50. Stephen misspelled 12% of the words given to him and spelled correctly 44 words. How many words were given to him to spell ?