« PreviousContinue »
Read the sums of the following columns.
These examples can be varied indefinitely by changing the numbers, or introducing additional numbers.
1. A man paid $30 for a suit of clothes, and $18.75 for an overcoat. What did both cost?
2. At $0.30 a pound, what will 3 pounds of butter cost ? 5 pounds? 7
5 pounds ? 7 pounds ? 3. A dealer bought goods for $375 and sold them for $500. How many dollars did he gain?
4. The interest of a sum of money is $60. What is the interest for 2 years ? For 6 months ?
5. I paid $600 for one lot of land, $800 for another, and $575 for another. How much did I
for 5 years
pay for all ?
6. To the sum of 30 and 20 add 5, divide by 11, multiply by 9, subtract 10, divide by 5, multiply by 8, add 4, add 40. What is the result ?
7. If I buy a horse for $180 and sell him for $200, how much do I gain? What should I have lost had I sold him for $150 ?
8. When 4 pounds of butter cost $1.20, what is the price of half a pound ?
9. Charles bought a hat for $2.50, a pair of gloves for $1.25, a necktie for $0.25, and a pair of shoes for $6.00. What did he pay for all ?
10. What cost 120 oranges at 2 cents apiece ?
11. To one half of 60 add 20, divide by 5, multiply by 12, and to one half this result add 4. What is į of the result ?
12. What cost 10 gross of knives at $40 a gross ?
13. Charles had $0.80 and Henry had half as many. How many cents had Henry? How many had both Henry and Charles ?
14. From the sum of $0.90 and $0.60 take the difference between $1.40 and $2.20.
15. When a yard of cloth costs $0.40, what must be paid for 12 yards ?
16. Bought a house for $2800 and sold it for $3150. How much did I gain ?
17. A man owning 20 houses rents each at $30 a month. How much does he receive for rent every year?
18. When 20 barrels of flour cost $120, what is half a barrel worth?
19. Take 20, multiply by 6, add 30, divide by 15, multiply by 40, divide half the result by 2. What is the quotient ?
20. A gentleman paid $1000 for two horses and a carriage. For the carriage he paid $650, for one horse $200, and the rest of the money for the other horse. What was the price of the second horse ?
1. Frank bought a ball for $0.75 and a bat for $0.35. What was the cost of both ?
2. What cost 3 pounds of raisins at $0.12 a pound and 2 gallons of milk at 7 cents a quart?
3. From $1.27 take $0.98.
4. I bought cloth for $1.25 and ribbon for $0.67. What did I pay for both ?
5. A farmer bought a cow for $55 and sold her for $81. What did he gain ?
6. From a farm of 93 acres all but 25 acres was sold for building lots. Allowing 10 lots to an acre, how many lots were sold ? At $100 each, what was received for the lots?
7. What is the cost of 9 barrels of apples at $3 a barrel and 8 tons of coal at $6 a ton ?
8. A man bought 12 pounds of figs at $0.12 a pound and sold them at $0.20 a pound. How much did he gain ?
9. What is the sum of $0.25, $0.37, and $0.19.
10. If I pay $0.85 for mending a pair of shoes, $0.67 for a pair of rubbers, and $0.05 for a pair of shoe strings, how much do I pay for all ?
11. Take the sum of $0.35 and $0.68 from $2.