« PreviousContinue »
, they will
ed, (L.) and in the Time of your Faults, ye shall take it pa
tiently? But it when ye DO WELL, TEMPTATION FALL away. and suffer for it, ye take it pa. [Mr.] And these are they tiently; this is acceptable with which [M.] received Seed Gov. the Thorns, [L.] and called : because Christ aito suffer
21. For even hereunto were ye among when they have heard (N1r.] Ev for us, leaving us an EXAMPLE, the Word, go forth, (11.] that we should follow his steps: and the (c) CARES of this Guile found in his Mouth.
22. Who did no Sin, neither was WORLD, `and the Deceitful
Heb. x. 26. For if we sin WILness of RICHES, [L.] and FULLY after that we have received the PLEASURES of this Life, there REMAINETH no more SA[Mr.] and the Lusts of
CRIFICE for Sins, OTHER THINGS entring in, 27. But a certain FEARFUL lookchoke the Word, and it being for of Judgment, and fiery in
dignation, which shall DEVOUR che come unfruitful, (L.) and
Adversaries. they bring no Fruit to Per (c) Tim. vi. 6. But GODLINESS fection. [Mr.] And these with Contentment is great Gain. are they which [M.) received to this world, and it is certain we Secd into the good Ground, can carry Nothing out. [Mr.] such as hear the Word, 8. And having Food and RAI
MENT, Ict us be therewith content. and receive it, and [L.] in
9. But that be RICH, an honest and good Heart, fall into Temptation and a Snare, having heard the Worv, Lusts, which drown Men in DeKEEP it, [M.] and under- ttruction and Perdition. stand it, (L.) and bring forth 1 John ii. 15. Love not the World, FRUIT with PATIENCE,
neither the Things that are in the [A1r.] some thirty fold, fome World. If any Man love the
World, the Love of the Father is fixty, and some an hundred. not in him. [M.] And he said unto them, 16. For all that is in the World, is a Candle brought to be put Lust of the Eyes, and the Pride
the Lust of the Flesh, and the under a Bushel, or under a of Life, is not of the Father, but is Bed ? and not to be set ona of the World. Candlestick? (L.) No Man
17. And the World PASSETH
away, and the Lust thereof: buc when he hath lighted a Can- he that doth the Will of God, dle, covereth it with a Vef- abideth for ever. fel, or putteth it under a Bed; but fetteth it on a Candlestick, that they which enter in may see the Light. [Nr.) For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manitested : neither any thing kept fecrer, (L.) that shall not be known and come abroad. (Mr.] If any Man have Ears
to hear, let him hear. And he faid unto them, [L.] Take heed therefore [Mr.] WHAT
and [L.] how (f) ye HEAR. when he is tempred, I am tempted
(f) James i. 13. Let no Man fay [Mr.] With what Measure when he is tempted, I am tempted you meet, it shall be measur- ed with Evil, neither temptech he ed to you: and unto you any Man. that hear, shall more be give when he is drawn away of his own
14. But every Man is TEMPTED, en. [L.) For whosoever hath, Lust, and enticed. to him shall be given : and 15. Then when Lust hath conwhosoever hath not, from ceiycd, it bringeth forth Sin: and
Sin when it is finished, bringech him shall be taken even that forth Death. he feemeth to have. [Mr.] 16. Do not crr, my beloved BreAnd he said, So is the King
thren, dom of God, as if a Man perfect gift is from above, and
17. Every good Girt, and every should cast SEED into the cometh down tiom the Father of Ground, and should fleep, Lights, with whom is no Variableand rise Night and Day, and neis neither Shadow of turning.
18. Of his own Will begat he us the Seed should spring and with the Word of Truth, that we
should be a kind of FIRST-FRUITS grow up, he knoweth not
of his Creatures. how. For the Earth bring
19. Wherefore, my beloved breeth forth Fruit of her felt; thren, let every Man be swift to first the Blade, then the Ear, HEAR, flow to peak, liow to Wrath, after that the full Corn in the eth not the Righteousness of God.
20. For the Wrath of Man workEar. But when the Fruit is
21. Wherefore lay apart all Filbrought forth, immediately thiness, and fuperfluiry of Naughtihe putteth in the Sickle, bé nefs, and receive with ME EKNESS
the ingrafred Word, which is able cause the Harvest is come.
to save your Souls.
22. But be ye Doers of the [M.] Another Parable put dcceiving your own télves.
Word, and not Hearers only, he forth unto them, saying,
23. For if any he a Hearer of the The KINGDOM of Heaven is Word, and not a Doer, he is like likened unto a Man which unto a Man beholding his natural
Face in a Glass; fowed good SEED in his
24. For he beholdeth himself, and Field: But while he slept, his goeth his way, and straightway forENEMY came and lowed getteth what manner of Man he TARES among the WHEAT,
25. But whoso lookerh into the and went his Way. But when perteät Law of Liberty, and the Blade was fprung up, and continueth therein, he being not a
FORGETFUL HEARER, but a Doer brought forth Fruit, then ap- of the Word, this Man (hall be blespeareth the Tares also. So the fed in his Deed. Servants of the Housholder Heb. jj. 1. Therefore we ought came, and said unto him, the THINGS which we have heard,
to give the more earnest Heed to Sir, didft not thou fow good left at any time we should let them Seed in thy Field ? from slir. whence then hath it Tares ? 2. For if the Word spoken by
ANGELS Was stedfast, and every He said unto them, An Ene- Tranfgression and Disobedience re;
my hath done this. The ceived a Just Recompence of ReServants said unto him, Wilt ward; thou then that we go g.
3. How shall we escape, if we and
neglect so great SALVATION, which gather them up? But he at the first began to be spoken by faid, Nay; left while ye ga
the LORD, and was confirmed unio ther up the Tares, ye root up
us by them that heard him; also the Wheat with them. Let both grow together until the HARVEST : and in the Time of Harvest I will say to the Reapers, Gather ye together first the Tares, and bind them in Bundles to burn them : but gather the Wheat into my Barn.
Another Parable put he forth unto them, [Mr.) and said, Whereunto Shall I liken the Kingdom of God? or with what Comparison Shall we compare it? [M] The Kingdom of Heaven is like to a Grain of Mustard seed, which a Man took, and fowed in his Field; (Mr.) which when it was sown in the Earth, is less than all the Seeds that be in the Earth : But when it is fown, 'it groweth up; [M.] and when it is grown, [Mr.) it becometh greater than all Herbs, [M.] and becometh a Tree, [Mr.] and shooteth out great Branches, (M.] so that the Birds of the Air come and [Mr.] lodge under the Shadow of it, (M.) and in the Branches thereof.
Another Parable spake he unto them, The Kingdom of Heaven is like unto Leaven, which a Woman took and hid in three Measures of Meal, till the whole was leavened.
All these Things fpake Jesus unto the Multitude in Paables. [Mr.) And with many such Parables fpake he the Word unto them, as they were able to hear it : But without a Parable fpake he not unto them. And when they were alone, he, expounded all Things to his Disciples : [M] That it might be fulfilled which was fpoken by the (8) Psalm lxxviii. 1. Give Ear, Prophet, saying, (8) I will my people, to my Law : incline open my Mouth in Parables, your Ears to the Words of my I will utter Things which
2. I will open my Mouth in a have been kept secret from PARABLE; and will utter dark Sage the Foundation of the World. ings of old.
PS. xlix. 3. My Mouth shall speak
of WISDOM: and the Meditation of my Heart fall lc of Understanding,
4. I will incline mine Ear to a PARABLE ; I will open my dark Saying upon the Harp.
Of the Tares, and others.
Matt. ' HEN Fesus sent the Multitude away, and xiii. 36. went into the House, and his Disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the Parable of the Tares of the Field.
37. He answered and said unto them, He that SOWETH the good Seed, is the Son of Man:
38. The Field is the WORLD : the good Seed are the CHILDREN of the Kingdom : but the TARES are the Children of the Wicked One.
39. The (a) ENEMY that (a) Rev. xiv. 15. And another sowed them, is the Devil:
ANGEL came out of the Temple, The HARVEST is the End that fat on the Cloud, Thrust in thy
crying with a loud Voice to him of the WORLD, and the Sickle, and REAP : for the Time is REAPERS are the ANGELS.
come for chce to REAP; for the
Harvest of the Earth is ripe. 40. As therefore the TARES
16. And he that sat on the Cloud, are gathered and BURNT in thrust in his Sickle on the Earth; the Fire ; so Tall it be in and the Earth was rcaped. the End of this world.
17. And another Angel came out
of the Temple, which is in Hea41. The Son of Man shall ven, he also having a sharp Sickle. send forth his Angels, and
18. And another Angel came out
from the Altar, which had Power they shall gather out of his over Fire ; and cried with a loud KINGDOM all Things that Voice to him that had the SHARP OFFEND, and them which do SICKLE, saying, Thrust in thy sharp INIQUITY;
Sickle, and gather the Clusters of
the Vine of the Earth; for her 42. And shall cast them Grapes are fully ripe, into a Furnace of FIRE : 19. And the Angel thrukt in his there shall be wailing and Sickle into the Earth, and gathered
the Vine of the Earth, and cast it gnashing of Teeth.
into the great Wine-press of the 43. Then (6) shall the Wrath of God. Righteous shine forth as the (b) Dan. xii. 3. They that be Sun in the Kingdom of their ness of the Pirmament ; and they
WISE, shall SHINE as the BrightFather. Who hath Ears to that turn many to Righteousness, as hear, let him hear.
the Stars for ever and over.
Psal. iv. 6. There be many that
fay, Who will shew us any Good? 44. Again, the Kingdom Lord, lift thou up the Light of thy of Heaven is like unto Trea- Countenance upon us. fure hid in a Field : the but Loss, for the Excellency of the
Phil. jji. 8. I count all Things which when a Man hath Knowledge of Christ Jesiu my Lord : fcund, he hideth, and for Joy for whom I have suffered the Loss
thereof, goeth and selleth all but Dung, that I may win Chrift,
9. And be found in him, not hav. that he hath, and buyeth that
ing mine own Righteousness, which Bield.
is of the Law, but that which is
through the Faith of Christ, the 45. Again, (c) the KING- Righteousness which is of God by
Faith. DOM of Heaven is like unto
(c) Pfal. lxxiii. 25. Whom have a Merchantman seeking good- I in Heaven but thee ? and there is ly PEARLS :
none upon Earth ( desire beside
thee. 46. Who when he had
26. My Flesh and my Heart fail. found one PEARL of great eth: but God is the Strength of my Price, he went and sold all Heart, and my Portion for ever.
1 Cor. ii. 9. But as it is written, that he had, and bought it. Eye hath not seen, nor Ear heard,
neither have entred into the Heart 47. Again, the KINGDOM of Man, the Things which God of Heaven is like unto a Net him.
hath prepared for them that LOVE that was cast into the Sea, Heb. xi. 13. These all died in and gathered of every Kind. Faith, not having received the Pro48. Which, when it was off, and were perswaded of them,
mises, but having seen them afar full, they drew to Shore, and and embraced them, and confefied sat down, and gathered the that they were STRANGERS and Good into Vefféls, but caft Pilgrims on the Earth. the Bad away:
14. For they that say such Things,
declare plainly that they feek a 49. So shall it be at the Country (that is, an heavenly) End of the World : the An- ed to be called their God : for hc
16. Wherefore God is not alhamgels shall come forth, and se- hath prepared for them a City. ver the Wicked from
i Pet. i. 3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jefu Chrift,
which according to his ABUNDANT 5o. And shall cast them Mercy, hath begotten us again unto into the Furnace of FIRE: a lively Hope, by the Resurrection there shall be wailing and of 3eftis chrift from the Dead,
4. To an Inheritance incorruptignashing of Teeth.
ble, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in Heaven for
you, 5. Who are kept by the Power of God, through Faith unto SalVATION, ready to be revealed in the last Time.
1 Cor. ix. 24. Know ye not that they which run in a Race, run all, but one receiveth the PRIZE? So run, that ye may OBTAIN.
25. And every Man that striveth for the Mastery, is temperate in all Things : Now they do it to obtain a CORRUPTIBLE Crown, but we an INCORRUPTIBLE.