Page images

Algiers, to carry thither a large quantity of masts, spars, oak and pine plank, &c. stipulated for in the Treaty with the Dey."

Captures by Privateers, 1798.—" Boston April 6. This day arrived the Brig Friendship, Merrill, of Portsmouth from Hamburg via Lisbon 66 days, Jan. 11, lit. 47.51. Long. 1.5, was boarded by the French lugger Eolus, of 10 guns from L'Orient, who ordered Capt. M. on board, examined his papers, with a scrutinizing eye, and said she was a good prize—sent 7 men, and a prize master on board, and ordered the Brig to L'Orient; but the prize master misunderstanding the compass was obliged to surrender the vessel again to Capt. M. They robbed the vessel of clothes and several other articles. Capt. M. having obtained his vessel again was retaken by the English Fleet off Cadiz, and sent to Lisbon; from whence she sailed Feb. 10 (without suffering any material damage) under convoy of the English Frigate Flora."

April 17, 1798. "The ship Pigeon, Clay, from Canton, for Philadelphia was captured March 2d by the French Privateer Mary of 10 guns and 80 men, and recaptured March 17, by a British Frigate and sent to Antigua.''

"Capt. Percival in the ship Mary from Wilmington, was brought to off the Capes by a French frigate and after being hailed, wished, 'a good passage.'"

"April 3d. Arrived Schr Patty, Capt. Green, who sailed from Kingston, Jamaica, Feb. 22, under convoy of the ship Stag, of 18 guns, bound for Norfolk with 6 Sails. March 8, lost the convoy and on the 9th fell in with a French Privateer of 6 guns, from Port-a-Paix, called the Swift, which took Capt. Green, and one hand on board, and run to the Southward 12 hours—plundered him of several articles of clothing. &c compelled him to pay 24 dollars for three shot [probably used to make him heave to] and then dismissed him."

"Alexandria, March 15. The Schr Sophia, Capt. O'Meara of this port was taken on the 2d day of Jan. last in Long. 88.54. Lat. 17.28. by the Privateer Schr. Sans Pareil, Capt. Pillet, belonging to Guadeloupe and owned by Mr. Sole, carrying 16 guns and one hundred men. When the Sophia hove to for the privateer, the boat came alongside, and two men jumped on board with drawn cutlasses, and enquired for the Captain, who immediately made reply and told them he was master.—Without delaying a moment one of them began belaboring him with the flat side of a cutlass, while the other kept his cutlass pointed to his breast. They would not allow Capt. O'Meara to get any of his papers, but sent him on board the privateer where he was detained while they plundered his cabin of every article. They broke open his trunk, which they also pillaged, and left him not a single article of wearing apparel, save one sea suit. The Sophia was carried into Basseterre, where vessel and cargo were condemned under the law of 1794."

O. H. T.

Rare Longevity.—I copy from the Faribault (Minn.) Republican, of Sept. 8th nit., the following. J. Fletcher Williams, Sec. Minn. Hist. Soc.

Died: In Montgomery, La Sueur County, Sept. 3, 1869, Ann, wife of John Leo, in the one hundred and second year of her age. Deceased was a native of county Clare, Ireland. From thonce she emigrated to this country with her family in the year 1848. For the past thirteen years her home has been in this state. Until the last year of her life this venerable old lady has enjoyed, in an extraordinary degree, the blessing of a healthy and vigorous constitution, and has always been able to attend personally to her household duties. Her husband has already attained the remarkable age of one hundred and four years, and is still hale and hearty, and enjoys almost unimpaired the use of both his mental and physical faculties. The grief of the old gentleman at parting with her; who for eighty years had shored the joys and sorrows of his life, was heart-rending in the extreme.

The University Of California, lately organized on a popular basis, went into operation last fall at Oakland, having secured the use of the college buildings there. The city of Oakland lies on the opposite side of the bay from San Francisco, and claims a more equable and milder temperature. The university is to consist of five distinct and independent colleges—four colleges of arts—agriculture, mechanic arts, mines, and civil engineering—and a college of letters. The full course of instruction in each college is to extend over four years. But any resident of California of approved character, and otherwise qualified, may enter the university as "a Btudent at large," receiving instruction in such branches pursued at the time as he may select, and will occupy him at least three hours a day in the recitation oc lecture room. The university has neither dormitories nor commons, and is under the government of a board of regents, partly appointed by the state, and the rest selected by the board itself.



fliET=Nncoy. At Germantown, Philadelphia, Nov. 16, 1869, by the Rt. Rev. William H. Odenheimer, D.IT., Bishop of the Diocese of New-Jersey, Charles Henry Hart, Esq,, to Armine, youngest daughter of the late John Nixon. The a great-granddaughter of Robert Morris, the financier of the revolution and signer of the declaration of independence, as also of Col. John Nixon, who first read the declaration to the people from the steps of Independence Hall, July 8, 1776.


Fletcher, Hon. Richard, died in Boston, June 21, 1869, at the advanced age of 81 years and 6 months. Judge Fletcher had been in feeble health for some time, had rarely been seen in our streets for a year or two past, and of late has been entirely confined to his chamber; and his death was not therefore unexpected.

Mr. Fletcher was born in Cavendish, Vt., January 8,1788 ; graduated at Dartmouth college in 1806, in the class with Hon. Samuel Fesscnden of Maine, Hon. Matthew Harvey of New-Hampshire, Hon. Albion K. Parris of Maine, and Rev. Asa Rand—all well known and distinguished men. He studied law at Cambridge. In 1846 was made doctor of laws by his alma mater, and in 1848 received the same honorary degree from Harvard University. He first practised law in New-Hampshire, and won a high reputation there for his eloquence, ability and acuteness. He opened an office in Boston somewhere about 1821; but still continued to practise in all the New-Hampshire courts, being retained as senior council in numerous important cases. He was a representative to the general court of Massachusetts, and was a member of congress for 1837-39. He was appointed a judge of the supreme court of Massachusetts in 1848; hut retained the office only about five years; when he returned again to the practice of law; which he continued—employed chiefly in chamber practice—until his growing years and infirmities disabled him.

Soon after his settlement in Boston, Mr. Fletcher became a constant attendant on the preaching of the elder Dr.

Beecher, in the old Hanover-st. meetinghouse; and probably then decided on the christian course which he ever afterwards steadily pursued. In 1830 he made a public profession of religion, and united with the old Federal-street Baptist church—now Clarendon-st. church —then under the pastoral care of the Rev. Dr. Hague. ■

From that time, to the time of his old age and extreme feebleness, he remained an active and influential, and most respected and beloved member of that church. For several years he was superintendent of their Sabbath school; and afterwards was for years the teacher of a a large Bible class of young men. He was at one time elected a deacon of the church; but, after thanking his brethren for the confidence in him which their votes implied, he declined the honor, on the ground that he, unfortunately, had not one of the prominent qualifications for a deacon: he was not " the husband of one wife." He was never married.

Judge Fletcher was personally one of the most social and agreeable of men. He was, in his early days—as will be remembered by some of our old citizens —an orator of great power, fluent and elegant in diction, bright and sparkling in thought, keen and quick in repartee. He was about the last of that famous race of New-Hampshire lawyers, who flourished half a century or so ago; among whom were numbered Daniel and Ezekiel Webster, Jeremiah Mason, Jeremiah Smith, Levi Woodbury.George Sullivan, Ichabod Bartlett, Joseph Bell, and other great men who have passed away, the like of whom, it may be, NewHampshire will never again see together at any of her courts.—(Advertiser.)

He was the first president of the American Statistical Association, having been elected to office on the organization of the association in December, 1839, and held the office till January, 1846.

Richard Fletcher's was a son of Asaph,!- who was b. June 28, 1746, and

d. Jan. 5, 1839, who was a son of William,4 of Westford, Ms., who was a

son of William,3 of Westford, who was a son of Samuel,' of the part of Chelmsford which

is now Westford, who was a son of Robert,1 who immigrated in 1630 to

Concord, Mass.

Johnson, Colonel Alfred W., in Boston, Mass., Nov. 14, 1869, aged 44 years. He was a resident of Belfast, Maine, and a son of the late Hon. Alfred Johnson, of that place, and graduated at Bowdoin college in the class of 1845. After pursuing his legal studies, he was admitted to the bar of his native county (Waldo), where he practised for several years. Col. Johnson subsequently gave up the practice of law and engaged in business enterprises in which he was highly successful. His wife was a daughter of exGov. Crosby, of Belfast. He left no children.

Miller, Hon. Nathaniel Jones, in Portland, Maine, November 9,1869, aged 68 years. He was for several years a member of both branches of the legislature, and was appointed by President Lincoln collector of internal revenue for the 1st district of Maine, which position he held until within a short period of his death.

Perry, Stephen, Esq, at his residence in Watertown, Mass., Feb. 27, 1870, aged 73 years, 6 months, and 16 days.

Mr. Perry was born in Natick, Mass., on the 11th of August, 1796, and was the second son of Samuel and Olive (Rice) Perry. In 1825, November 11th, he married in Boston, Catharine Whitte-. more, eldest daughter of Lieut. William Stevens, U.S.A., and Rebecca (Bacon) his wife, Mr. and Mrs. Perry's early married life was spent at Newton Corner, where his eldest daughter, Mrs. James E. Butts, Jr., was born; but shortly afterwards the family removed to Providence, R. I.

In the autumn of 1861, Mr. Perry came back to the family place on Centre street, at the corner of Williams street Here he rebuilt and enlarged the house, which was one of the oldest in the vicinity, and which he had purchased from his wife's step-grandfather, James Newman, Esq., and as the place was partly in Newton and partly in Watertown, he became again a resident of the early home of his manhood—a home always peculiarly dear to him. Since that time he has spent his life in this neighborhood, with the exception of a brief residence in Portland, Maine,in 1861-2, wherehis son, the Rev. Wm. Stevens Perry, D.D., now of Geneva, New-York, was then settled. In 18G2, Mr. Perry completed a second house on the old estate, into which he removed, and where he resided at the time of his death, having occupied his declining days in the care of these places.

Mr. Perry was educated in the town of his birth, numbering among his early

schoolmates and friends, the Rev. Prof. Calvin E. Stowe, D.D., and the Hon. Henry Wilson. Brought up in the "old town" church of his native village, his early religious sympathies were with the Unitarian body, but later in life he was a regular attendant on the Episcopal Church, first in Christ Church,Waltham, and, on the organization of Grace Church parish /which took place in his own house, and of which he was at the outset, and for number of years, a vestryman) at the chapel in N. Comer. He received the rite of confirmation in St. Paul's Church, Boston, and was a devout and faithful communicant of the church up to the time of his sudden decease.

A severe cold, rapidly culminating in congestion, was the cause of his death. But the suddenness of the summons brought no sorrow to him. "I am ready;" "as God wills," were his replies, on being told of the nearness of the end. Conscious to the last, and sustained by the sure and certain hope he expressed in the words—" I know that my Redeemer liveth," his death was a triumph.

Quiet and retiring in his tastes, ariable and considerate in his bearing, and respected and beloved by all who knew him, he has left the record of unswerving integrity, and his end was that of the "perfect man," and "the upright," —peace at the last. Pierce, Franklin, at his residence in Concord, N. H, Friday, Oct 8, 1869, aged 65 years, 10 months, and 15 days.

He was the son of General Benjamin Pierce, a native of Massachusetts—at one time governor of N. H.—and was born in the town of Hillsborough, N.H., on the 23d of November, 1804. His early education was received at the academies of Hancock and Francestown; and in 1820 he entered Bowdoin College, graduating in 1824. While in college he was possessed of much military ambition and was an officer of a college company of soldiers. He chose the law as a profession, and entered the office of Levi Woodbury as a student He subsequently studied for two years in the law school in Northampton, Mass., and in the office of Judge Parker, in Amherst, N. H. He was admitted to the bar in 1827, and his first effort as an advocate was a failure; but he became one of the brightest ornaments of the profession. He was in politics a democrat, and an earnest advocate of the election of Andrew Jackson to the presidency. In 1829 he was elected to represent Hillsborough in the legislature, serving four Tears in the lower house, the last two Tears as its speaker. In 1833 he was elected to congress, serving on the judiciary and other important committees, bat making no distinguished figure in debate. Ue was an opponent of antislavery measures in any and every shape. He continued a member of the house of representatives until 1837, when he was elected to the United States senate, of which body he was the youngest member, having just attained the legal age. Among his contemporaries there, were Webster, Clay, Calhoun, Benton, Buchanan, Woodbury, and Silas Wright. He made but few speeches, and in 1842 resigned his seat, and returned to the practice of the law in Concord. He soon became distinguished as a lawyer of eminence, and in 1816 he was offered by President Polk the position of attorney general, which he declined. He also declined to be a candidate for governor, which office had been tendered him by a democratic state convention. He was still interested in politics, however, and was a warm supporter of the annexation of Texas. In 1847 New-Hampshire was called upon to furnish troops for the Mexican war, and Mr. Pierce enrolled himself as a member of one of the first volunteer companies. He did not long remain in the ranks. Congress passed a bill for the increase of the army, and he received the appointment as colonel of the 9th Regiment, and was shortly after promoted to a brigadier-generalship. President Polk, on signing his commission, remarked that he would one day become president of the United States. Arriving in Mexico with his men, he joined Gen. Scott at Puebla on the 7th of August, which place he reached after several sharp engagements with guerillas. At Contreras he was severely hurt by the falling of his horse, but continued during the day at the head of his brigade. At Cherubusco, while leading his men, he fell fainting with pain from his injuries, but refused to quit the field. After this battle, the Mexican commander having opened negotiations for peace, Scott appointed Gen. Pierce one of the commissioners to arrange the armistice. The truce was a short one, and was followed by the battles of Molino del Rey and Chapultepec, and by the capitulation of the city of Mexico. At the close of the war Gen. Pierce resigned his commission and again returned to the practice of the law. In 1850 he was elected a member of the New-Hampshire constitutional convention. On the 12th of June, 1852, in Baltimore, on the fortyninth ballot, the democratic convention

nominated him for the presidency. Up to the thirty-fifth ballot his name had not been made use of, when it was brought forward by the Virginia delegation. His competitors were James Buchanan, Lewis Cass, William L. Marcy and Stephen A. Douglas. At the election he received the votes of all the states except Massachusetts, Vermont, Kentucky and Tennessee, which were given for Gen. Scott. On the 6th of January, 1853, the president elect was afflicted with a sad domestic calamity, by which his only surviving child Benjamin, 13 years of age, was instantly killed by the railroad cars running off the track between Lawrence and Andover, Mass. The president was inaugurated on the fourth of March following, and in his address maintained the constitutionality of the fugitive-slave-law, and strongly denounced the agitation of the slavery question, which he considered as settled by the compromises of 1850. His cabinet was composed of William L. Marcy, Secretary of State; James Guthrie, Secretary of the Treasury; Jefferson Davis, Secretary of War; James C. Dobbin, Secretary of the Navy; Robert McClelland, Secretary of the Interior; James Campbell, Postmaster General; and Caleb Cushing, Attorney General. Early in his administration the Mex ican boundary dispute was settled, by which this country became possessed of the extensive tract of land now known as Arizona. In 1853, commissioners were sent out to make explorations for a railroad route to the Pacific; and in the same year the fishery disputes with Great Britain, which were at one time very threatening, were amicably adjusted. While these negotiations were going on, the affair of Martin Koszta, one of the Hungarian exiles, agitated this country and Europe, but the United States came out triumphant. In December, 1853, President Pierce's first congress assembled, and in the January following, Mr. Douglas, as chairman of the committee on territories, introduced a bill for the organization of the two territories of Kansas and Nebraska. By this bill, the Missouri compromise act, excluding slavery from this region, was repealed, and, in despite of the exertions of the anti-slavery members of congress, the bill became a law and received the signature of the president on the last day of May. In 1854 the reciprocity treaty was negotiated between Great Britain and the United States; and the treaty with Japan, negotiated by Com. Perry, was ratified. Two important bills—one providing for appropriations for the repair and completion of certain public works, and the other appropriating 10,000,000 acres of the public lands to the states, for the relief of the indigent insane—were vetoed by the president In the spring of 1864 the bombardment of Ureytown took place; and in the following year Walker undertook his filibuster invasion of Nicaragua. In 185S the French spoliation bill was vetoed. During the winter and spring of 1855 circumstances occurred to disturb the harmonious relations existing between this country and Great Britain, growing out of the enlistment here of recruits for the British army in the Crimea. The recall of Mr. Crampton, the British minister, was demanded, and refused; and the president finally dismissed the minister and the British consuls at New-York, Philadelphia, and Cincinnati, because of their complicity in the violation of the neutrality laws. The matter was finally settled, however, in a peaceable manner. The last two years of the president's administration were disturbed by the civil discords in Kansas. On the 24th of January, 1856, the president sent a message to congress in which he represented the formation of a free State government in Kansas as an act of rebellion, and justified the principles of the Kansas-Nebraska act. In June of the same year the Democratic convention met at Cincinnati to nominate a presidential candidate, and Mr. Buchanan was nominated on the seventeenth ballot. Before the adjournment of congress in August following, the house of representatives made an amendment to the army appropriation •bill, providing that no part of the army should be employed to enforce the laws made by the territorial legislature of Kansas, until congress should have decided that it was a valid legislative assembly; the senate refused to concur, and adjourned without making any provision for the army. The president immediately called an extra session to convene on the 21st of August, when the army bill was passed without any proviso, and congress adjourned. It convened again on December first, and the session closed on the 3d of March, and on the following day the administration of Franklin Pierce, of which we have above given the leading events, came to a close. Mr. Peirce soon after visited the island of Madeira, and travelled extensively in Europe. On the 21st of April, 1861, he made a speech to a mass meeting in Concord, N. H„ in which he declared himself in favor of the Union against the southern confederacy, and urging the people to give the administra

tion a cordial and earnest support. This was the crowning event of his life. Since then Mr. Pierce has lived in retirement, until the angel of death was pleased, this morning, to call him to that home where political and all earthly strife is unknown.—(Boston Traveller.)

But it was in private and social life that the character of the lamented expresident was best appreciated. He was a noble, whole-souled, honorable man, a public-spirited citizen, an honest counsellor, and a faithful and selfsacrificing friend, who knew no guile and suspected none in others. His manly and genial qualities endeared him to the masses, and his memory will always live fresh and green in the hearts of all who knew him personally and intimately.—(Boston Post.)

A brief sketch of his life, written by his college class-mate, Nathaniel Hawthorne, was published in 1852.

Pope, Mrs. Lucy Ann, in Cambridge, Mass., Jan. 11, 1870, aged 49 years. She was the second child and daughter of George W. and Mary (Stedman) Meacham, of Cambridge, where she was born Sept. 14, 1820. She was married June 2, 1843, in Cambridge, to Rev. Augustus R. Pope, of Kingston, Mass., son of Lemuel and Sally B. (Russell) Pope, of Boston. She was granddaughter of John and Lucy (Fowlc) Meacham, of Watertown, and of Ebenezer and Eunice(Monroe) Stedman, of Cambridge.

Wallace, Mrs. Abbie T.. wife of-William Wallace, Esq., and daughter of Hon. Marshall P. Wilder — in Longwood, Boston, Mass., March 20, 1870, aged 35 years, 10 months.

Weotwobth, Hall, in Rollinsford, N. H. (once part of Dover.N.H.) Nov. 13,1869, aged 79. He was son of Bartholomew,* and Ruth (Hall) Wentworth, and a descendant of Elder William, the emigrant settler, in the line of Benjamin1 and Benjamin.' The premises upon which he died were given by Elder William to his son Benjamin,* and have never been owned but by his descendants.

White, Mrs. Lusannah, in Leominster, Mass., June 19, 1869, aged 82 yrs. 1 mo.; mother of Edward Young, M.D., of Cambridgeport, Mass. She was a descendant in direct line of Thomas Young,

• of Scituate, who married Sarah, eldest daughter of Peregrine White, who was born on board the Mayflower. The descent is as follows :—1. George Young, b. 1660; 2. Thomas Young, b. 1663, m. Sarah White in 1688; 3. Geo. Young, Jr., b. 1689; 4. James Young, b. 1724; 5. Elisha Young; 6. Lusannah Young, b. May 21, 1787.

« PreviousContinue »