What people are saying - Write a review
Mary Lee Coal & Railway became part of the Alabama Consolidated Coal & Iron Co. which became The Alabama Company in 1913. Sloss-Sheffield Steel & Iron bought The Alabama Company in 1924. The railroad operation was extended to the L&N Cane Creek Branch where they ran on trackage rights to the Banner Branch and then to their own railroad at Granlin on the Banner Branch. This was their access to Flat Top and Bessie mines. This short railroad was a very important part of Birmingham history.