« PreviousContinue »
Secretary-Treasurer G. B. Hunt
W. L. T. ADDISON, M.D.
W. B. TINDALL
J. F. M. STEWART, B.A.
Organisation of Clubs and Branches Art. 1.-(1) The organization shall be called The Empire Club of Canada.
(2) Branches of the Club may be established with the authority of the Executive Committee, and subject to such conditions and regulations as may from time to time be decided upon by the Club in Toronto.
Classes of Members Art. 2.-(1) The membership of the Club shall be open to any man of the full age of eighteen years who is a British subject, and shall consist of active members, life members, and honorary members.
Active Members Art. 3.-(1) Candidates for active membership shall be proposed and seconded by two members of the Club in good standing, and shall be elected by a two-thirds majority of those present at any meeting of the Executive Committee.
(2) Active members shall pay an annual fee of $2.00. This sum shall include a free copy to each member of the annual volume of addresses. No member in arrears for fees or dues shall be considered to be in good standing, or shall be eligible for office, or have the right to attend at any meeting of the Club.
Life Members Art. 4.-(1) Life members not exceeding ten in any one year, may be elected from time to time at any open meeting of the Club, upon the recommendation of the Executive Committee. Provided, however, that Minis
ters of the Federal Parliament and Premiers of the different Provinces of the Dominion of Canada may be eligible for election as life members at any time, even though their election may cause the number of life members to exceed ten in any one year.
(2) Life members shall pay a fee of $25.00 in one
Honorary Members Art. 5.-(1) Honorary members may be elected, upon the recommendation of the Executive Committee, at any general meeting of the Club.
(2) Honorary members shall be exempt from the payment of fees, but shall not have the privilege of voting, or holding office.
Officers to be Elected Art. 6.-(1) The officers of the Club shall consist of an Honorary President; a President; First, Second, Third Vice-Presidents; a Treasurer, a Secretary, or a Secretary-Treasurer; an Organizing Secretary; and twelve other members, all of whom shall be elected by ballot. These members, together with the officers before mentioned, shall constitute the Executive Committee. Past Presidents of the Club shall be ex-officio members of the Executive Committee.
Election of Officers (2) The election of officers of the Club shall take place at a general meeting of the members to be held in the month of May in each year at a date to be decided upon by the Executive Committee, and this meeting shall be deemed to be the Annual Meeting. A Committee to nominate the officers for the new year shall be appointed at the meeting next preceding such annual meeting, and such Committee shall report to the Annual Meeting.
(3) Two Auditors shall also be elected at each annual meeting
Filling of Vacancies Among Officers Art. 7.-(1) In the event of any office becoming vacant by death, resignation, or otherwise, the vacancy thus caused shall be filled by the Executive Committee, and the person so chosen shall hold office until the next annual meeting
Duties of Officers Art. 8.-(1) The duties of the officers shall be those customary to such positions in similar organizations.
Holding of Meetings Art. 9.-(1) The Club shall hold general meetings weekly from October to May, both inclusive, in each twelve months with such intermissions as from time to time may be decided upon.
(2) At the Annual Meeting a report of the year's proceedings and work shall be submitted by the President, and this report shall be accompanied by a report of the Treasurer, duly audited.
Notice of Meetings Art. 10.-(1) Written notices shall be given to the members of the Club of all meetings. Such notices shall be sufficient if addressed to the members, and deposited post paid in the Post-office at Toronto.
Quorum at Meetings Art. 11.—(1Fifteen members in good standing shall constitute a quorum at any meeting of the Club, general, annual, or special, and the presiding officer shall have a casting vote. Six members shall form a quorum of the Executive Committee.
Limitation of Business at General Meetings Art. 12.-(1) No business other than the hearing of the Address and notice of motions shall be introduced