Page images

of Maria Theresa, and of Saint George of Russia, Grand Cross of the Orders of Sweden, of St. Anne, and of St. Maurice of Sardinia, Field • Marshal, commanding a Division of the Imperial Austrian Army in the Kingdom of Naples.

In virtue of my powers, and as General in Chief of the Austrian army in Naples, I ratify the above Articles of the present Military Convention. (L.S.) Bianchi, Lieut-rGen.

Signed and ratified by us, Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary of his Britannic Majesty at the Court of Tuscany, in the absence of the Commanding Officers of the British Sea and Land Forces, employed on the coast of Naples.

Given at Casa Lanzi, before Capua, May 20, 1815.


Foreign Office, June 13, 1815.

A Dispatch, of which the following is a copy, has been received by Viscount Castlereagh, his Majesty's principal Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs from Lord Burghersh, his Majesty's Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary at the Court of Tuscany, dated

Naples, May 23, 1815.

My Lord,—Prince Leopold, of Sicily, greeted by the general applause of the people, made his entry into this city, at the head of the Austrian troops on the 22d.

The passage of that Prince through his father's states to the capital has been most gratifying. The inhabitants from considerable distances flocked to meet him, and having re-assumed the national cockade, brought him proofs of their attachment to his family, and their detestation of the rule they were escaping from, im

posed upon them by conquest, and maintained by force.

By the Convention transmitted to your Lordship in my last dispatch, the allied arms were to have been placed in possession of Naples on this day. The popular feeling had, however, so strongly manifested itself against the then existing government, on the 20th and 21st, that Marshal Murat left the town in disguise, and his wife sought the security which had been assured her on board a British man of war.

General Carascosa sent to General Bianchi, requesting he would prevent the misfortunes with which the town wus menaced, by entering it immediately; and Madame Murat, by the same request to. Admiral Lord Exmouth, prevailed upon him to land a body of 500 marines, to maintain tranquillity.

Marshal Murat appears to have; been aware of the little support his usurped dominion, when menaced, would receive cither from.

tUe the army or the inhabitants of this kingdom: his children were already placed at Gaeta.

General Bianchi sent forward his cavalry, under Count Niepperg, on the evening of the 21 st. It occupied this city during the night, and preserved it from disorder.

Prince Leopold has requested all the authorities of the kingdom, the ministers of state, and the officers of the army, to remain at their post to await the orders of the King.

Admiral Penrose sailed from hence to Melazzo, to bring his Majesty to his capital. In a few days his Majesty's arrival may be expected.

Admiral Lord Exmouth arrived in the Bay of Naples on the 20th. The expedition from Sicily is arrived this morning.

Madame Murat will sail tomorrow on board of his Majesty's ship Tremendous towards Gaeta, to receive her children on board, and will then proceed to Trieste.

No disturbances of any serious nature have taken place. The enmity against such as are supposed from their employments to have been attached to the late Government is great, but the activity with which General Bianchi has carried assistance to the points where it might be required has retained the country quiet.

I have the honour to be, &c.
(Signed) Burghersh

India-board, Whitehall.

June 15. The following statement of the operations of the second division

of the field army, under the command of Lieut.-Colonel Muwbv, of his Majesty's 53d regiment, before Kalunga, has been this day received from India :—

Fort William, Dec. IS, 1814.

His Excellency the Vice President in Council, is pleased to publish the following statement of the operations of the 2d division of the field army, under the command of Colonel Mawby, of his Majesty's 53d regiment, before Kalunga, which terminated in the evacuation of the Fort on the 30th of November.

The battering train from Delhi having arrived in Camp on the 24th ultimo, the operations of the army against the fort of Kalunga, were resumed on the morning of the 25th. At one o'clock, p. m. on the 2"th, the breach was reported completely practicable by the officers in charge of the engineer and artillery departments. Colonel Mawby having also satisfied himself of the fact from personal observation, and being anxious to avoid any delay which should afford the enemy sufficient time to strengthen his internal defence, either by cutting up the breach, or erecting works so as to command the entrance into it, ordered the storming party instantly to advance. The storming party, consisting of nil the grenadiers of the division, and one battalion company of the 53d, with the light infantry company of that corps, was led by Major Ingleby, and after being exposed till three o'clock, an interval of two hours, to a most galling and destructive fire of musketry and matchlocks, they found their efforts opposed

by by insuperable obstacles, and were in consequence ordered to abandon the attack.

In this arduous and gallant but unsuccessful struggle, many brave officers and men were killed and wounded.

The mo6t honourable testimony is borne by Colonel Mawby, to the zeal and courage displayed by the officers and men engaged in the assault; and although their brave efforts were not crowned with immediate success, they produced such an effect as to convince the enemy of the inutility of further resistance; accordingly, on the 30th, at four a. m. the Nepaulese garrison abandoned the Fort of Kalunga to the liritish troops.

[This Supplement also contains dispatches from Colonel Ochterlony, stating the surrender on the 4th of November of the Torts of Nalagar and Tarregar, garrisoned by ninety-five Goorka officers and privates, with a loss on our side of one killed and six wounded; and a report dated the 25th of November from MajoWiradshaw, of the successful operations of a division of his troops, under Captain Hay, against 1'ursaram Tbapa, the Xapaulese Subah of the Tcraice. The Subah, who occupied this position with about 400 men, was completely surprised: he himself was killed; one of his chief Sirdars, severely wounded, was found among the slain, which is stated to have amounted to about 51 mountaineer soldiers. A number of the enemy were wounded, and manv were drowned in the river Bagnutec. Two standards were taken. The total of our loss consisted of two killed and twentyone wounded, including Lieut.

Boileau, who received a deep sabre cut in a personal contest with the Subah.]

Downing-street, June 11.

Major the Honourable H. Percy, arrived late last night with a dispatch from Field-Marshal the Duke of Wellington, K. G. to Earl Bathurst, his Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the War Department, of which the following is a copy :—

Waterloo, June 19, 1815.

My Lord,—Buonaparte having collected the 1st, Id, 3d, 4th, and 6th corps of the French army and the Imperial Guards, and nearly all the cavalry on the Sambre, and between that river and the Meuse, between the 10th and 14th of the month, advanced on the 15th, and attacked the Prussian posts at Thuin and Lobez, on the Sambre, •it day light in the morning.

1 did not, hear of these events till the evening of the 15th, and immediately ordered the troops to prepare to march, and afterwards to march to their left, as soon as I had intelligence from other quarters, to prove that the enemy's movement upon CharJeroy was the real attack.

The enemy drove the Prussian posts from the Sambre on that day; and General Zieten, who commanded the corps which had been at Charleroy, retired upon Fleurus; and Marshal Prince Blucher concentrated the Prussian army upon Sambref, holding the villages in front of his position of St. Amand and Ligny.

The enemy continued his march

along the road from Charleroy

towards towardsBruxelles, and on the same evening, the 15th, attacked a brigade of the army of the Netherlands, under the Prince de Weimar, posted at Frasne, and forced it back to the farm house on the same road, called Les Quatre Bras.

The Prince of Orange immediately reinforced this brigade with another of the same division, under General Perponcher, and in the morning early regained part of the ground which had been lost, so as to have the command of the communication leading from Nivellesand Bruxelles, with Marshal Blucher's position.

In the mean time t had directed the whole army to march upon Les Quatre Bras, and the 5th division under Lieut. General Sir Thomas Picton, arrived at about half-past two in the day, followed by the corps of troops under the Duke of Brunswick, and afterwards by the contingent of Nassau.

At this time the enemy commenced an attack upon Prihcc Blucher, with his whole force, excepting the 1st and 2d corps; and a corps of cavalry under General Kellerman, with which he attacked our post at Les Quatre Bras.

The Prussian army maintained their position with their usual gallantry and perseveranccagainst a great disparity of numbers, as the 4th corps of their army, under General Bulow, had not joined, and 1 was not able to assist them M I wished, as I was attacked myself, and the troops, the cavalry 'n particular, which had a long distance to march, had not arrived.

We maintained our position also, and completely defeated and repulsed all the enemy's attempts to get possession of it. The enemy repeatedly attacked us with a large body of cavalry and infantry, supported by a numerous and powerful artil'ery: he made several charges with the cavalry upon our infantry, but all were repulsed in the steadiest manner. In this affair His, Royal Highness the Prince of Orange, the Duke of Brunswick, and Lieutenant General Sir Thomas Picton, and Major General Sir James Kempt, and Sir Denis Pack, who were engaged from the commencement of the enemy's attack, highly distinguished themselves, as well as Lieutenant-Gen. Charles Baron Alten,Major-General Sir C.Halket, Lieutenant-General Cooke, and Major-GeneraJs Maitland and" Byng, as they successively arrived. The troops of the 5th division and those of the Brunswick corps were long and severely engaged, and conducted themselves with the utmost gallantry. I must particularly mention the 28th, 42d, 7l>th, and 92d regiments, and the Battalion of Hanoverians.

Our loss was great, as your Lordship will perceive by the enclosed return; and I have particularly to regret his Serene Highness the Duke of Brunswick, who fell, lighting gallantly at the head of his troops.

Although Marshal Blucher had maintained his position at Sambref, he still found himself much weakened by the severity of the contest, in which he had been engaged, and as the fourth corps had not arrived, he determined to fall back, and concentrate his

army army upon Wavre ; and he marched in the night after the action was over.

This movement of the Marshal's rendered necessary a corresponding one on my part; and I retired from the farm of Quatre Bras upon Genappe, and thence upon Waterloo the next morning, the 17th, at ten o'clock.

The enemy made no effort to pursue Marshal Blucher. On the contrary, a patrolc which I sent to Sambref in the morning, found all quiet, and the enemy's videttes fell back as the patrole advanced. Neither did he attempt to molest our march to the rear, although made in the middle of the day, excepting by following, with a large body of cavalry, brought from his right, the cavalry under the Earl of Uxbridge.

This gave Lord Uxbridge an opportunity of charging them with the 1st Life Guards, upon their debouch^ from the village of Genappe, upon which occasion his Lordship has declared himself to be well satisfied with that regiment.

The position which I took up in front of Waterloo, crossed the high roads from Charleroy and Nivelle, and had its right thrown back to a ravine near Merke Braine, which was occupied; and its left extended to a height above the hamlet Ter la Haye, which was likewise occupied. In front of the right centre, and near the Nivelle road, we occupied the house and garden ofHougoumont, which covered the return of that flank; and in front of the left centre, we occupied the farm of La Haye Sainte. By our left we communicated withMarshalPrince

Blucher, at Wavre, throughOhaim; and the Marshal promised me, tha' in case we should be attacked, he would support me with one or more corps as might be necessary. The enemy collected his army, with the exception of the third corps, which had been sent to observe Marshal Blucher, on a range of heights in our front, in the course of the night of the 17th and yesterday morning, and at about ten o'clock he commenced a furious attack upon our post at Hougoumont. I had occupied that post with a detachment from General Byng's brigade of Guard*, which was in position in its rear; and it was for some time under the command of Lieut.-colonel Macdonald, and afterwards of Colonel Home; and I am happy to add, that it was maintained throughout the day with the utmost gallantry by these brave troops, notwithstanding the repeated efforts of large bodies of the enemy to obtain possession of it.

This attack upon the right of our centre was accompanied by a very heavy cannonade upon our whole line, which was destined t» support the repeated attacks of cavalry and infantry occasionally mixed, but* sometimes separate, which were made upon it. In one of these the enemy carried the farm house of La Haye Sainte, as the detachment of the light battalion of the legion which occupied it had expended all its ammunition, and the enemy occupied the only communication there was with them.

The enemy repeatedly charged our infantry with his cavalrv, but these attacks were uniformly unsuccessful,

« PreviousContinue »