« PreviousContinue »
Mr Whaley's b. c. Burgundy, 3 yrs, 5st. 12ft. - Tasker 3
'. J. Skeene 3 to l each agst Dulcet and Burgundy, 5 to 1 agst Inheritress, 5 to
1 agst Golden Bee, and 7 to 1 agst Winesour. Won by a neck;
Burgundy beaten by half a length for second. The Ladies' Purse of 50 sov, for horses that never won or recd. ft. before the day of entering ; three yrs old, 7st. 31b. four, 8st. 710, five, 9st. lib. six and aged, 9st. 31b. m. and g. allowed 3ib. half-bred horses 6lb. heats, once round and a distance. Mr Godson's ch. m. Susannah, by Firman, 5 yrs
Ġ. Calloway 2 1 1 Mr Whitehouse's b. f. Charlotte, 3 yrs - Sharpe 1 - 2 Mr Thompson's br. c. by Stansty, dam by Brutandorf, 3 yrs
T. Williams - - 3 Mr Jones's ch. f. by Revolution, 3 yrs - Phillips - 2 dr Mr Whittaker's b. f. Nosegay
Styche - dr WEDNESDAY.—The Patshull Stakes of 15 sov. each, 10 ft. and only 5 if declared, &c, with 30 added ; one mile and a half (26 subscribers, 12 of whom paid only 5 sov, each). Mr A. Johnstone's ch. f. Fair Helen, by Pantaloon, 3 yrs, 5st. 8lb. •
Ryder I Mr Irwin's ch. c. Connaught Ranger, 4 yrs, 7st. 5lb. F. Bell 2 Mr Meiklam's br. h. Godfrey, 5 yrs, 8st. 6td. - Marlow Ld Warwick's b. h. Yardley, 6 yrs, 8st. 4ib. (incl. 4lb. extra)
G. Whitehouse Mr Hill's ch.c. Ironmaster, 4 yrs, 7st. 7ib. - Denman Capt. Peyton's b.c. Magnet, 4 yrs, 6st. 71b. - Tasker Mr Copeland's br. c. Arthur, 4 yrs, 6st. 4ib. • Williams Mr Bristow's ch. f. Marietta, 3 yrs, 5st. 21.
- Sharpe 10 to 6 agst Fair Helen, 7 to 2 agst Yardley, 9 to 2 agst Arthur,
and 6 to 1 agst Connaught Ranger. Won by a head; Yardley and Marietta third and fourth, so close together that the Judge
could not place them. The Chillington Stakes of 10 sov. each, for two yrs old colts, 8st. 7 ib. and fillies, Est. 5lb. winners this year to carry 2lb. extra ; the winner gave 101. to the Judge; T.Y.C. Straight half-mile (10 subscribers). Col. Anson's b. f. Treacle, by Jeree - - Duflo 1 Ld Warwick's b.c. Aliwal iwal
- G. Whitehouse 2 Mr Mostyn's b. f. Circassian Maid
Marlow 3 Mr E. Peel's br. f. Tweed
Mr R. Peel's ch, f. Credential - - Holmes Mr Critchley's ch. f. Atalanta
- Bumby 6 to 4 on Circassian Maid, 9 to 2 agst Credential, 5 to 1 agst Ali.
wal, and 6 to 1 agst Treacle. Won by a length, The Cleveland Cup, by subscription of 10 sov. each, to which 501. would have been added if not walked over for ; three miles (11 subs.) Sir C. Monck's b. m. Glossy, by Silkworm, 6 yrs, walked over.
The Borough Members' Plate of 601. three yrs old, ?st. 5lb, four, 8st. 7lb. five, 9st. 21b. six and aged, 9st. 7ib. m, and g, allowed 31b. winners once this year to carry 31b. twice, 5lb, thrice, 7lb. extra ; horses having started three times and not won allowed 3lb, the winner to be sold for 2501, if demanded, &c, heats, a mile and a half. Mr Mytton's b. f. Auricula, by Talleyrand, 3 yrs
G. Whitehouse 1 1 Mr T. Walter's b. g. Ratcliffe (late The Nobler) 5 yrs Bumby - 2 Mr Raworth's b. c. Idolater, 4 yrs
Bradley 2 Mr R. Mostyn's bl.c. Black Strap, 4 yrs - Marlow -
THURSDAY,- The Wrottesley Stakes of 10 sov. each, with 20 added, for three yrs old, 7st. 4ib. and four, 8st. 7lb. f. and g. allowed 31b. winners this year, 3ib. extra ; once round, starting from the Stand and coming in at the Chair. Mr Mytton's b. f. Auricula, 3 yrs
- G. Whitehouse 1 Mr Flintoff's b. f. Princess Royal, 4 yrs . G. Calloway 2 Mr Smith's b. g. Master Downes, 4 yrs (bolted) - Sly
The New Stakes of 10 sov, each, with 30 added by Mr Munro, Lessee of the Wolverhampton Theatre, for two yrs old, 6st. 121b, and three, 9st. 2/b. f. and g. allowed 2ib. winners this year to carry 3m. extra ; T.Y.C. Straight half-mile. Mr Foster's b.f. Julia, by Jereed, 2 yrs . . Tasker 1 Mr Critchley's ch. f. Atalanta, 2 yrs . - Styche 2 Mr E. Peel's br. f. Tweed, 2 yrs - - - Sharpe 3
The Holyoake Stakes of 20 sov. each, 10 ft. and only 5 if declared, with the Stand Purse of 50 sov, added; the winner to pay 101. towards the expenses of the Course, and the owner of the second horse recd. back bis stake; twice round and a distance (41 subscribers, 22 of whom paid only 5 sov. each). Mr Bell's b. c. Fiddlestring, by The Bard, 3 yrs, 5st. 81b. Tasker 1 Mr F. Ongley's ch.g. Roderick, aged, 7st. 41. (including 41b. extra)
- • Denman 2 Ld Warwick's b.c. Gwalior, 4 yrs, 6st. 1316.
- Duflo Mr Jrwin's ch. c. Connaught Ranger, 4 yrs, 7st. - H. Bradley Mr Clark's b. f. Maid of Lyme, 3 yrs, 6st. (in. 4ib, ex.) R. Sykes Mr Johnstone's Fair Helen, 3 yrs, 5st, 131b.(in. 710, ex.) Ryder
2 to 1 agst Fair Helen, 7 to l agst Roderick, 4 to 1 agst Connaught
Ranger, 5 to l agst Gwalior, and 8 to lagst Fiddlestring. Won by a neck ; Connaught Ranger third; Fair Helen fourth. The Innkeepers’ Plate of 50 sov. added to a Sweepstakes of 5 sov. each; weight for age and selling price; heats, once round, starting from the Stand (8 subscribers). Mr R. Mostyn's bl. c. Black Strap, by Jerry, 4 yrs (501.) 7st. 3ib.
- G. Whitehouse Mr Jones's Sailor, aged (501.) 7st. 1216. - Bradley Capt. Peyton's b.c. Magnet, 4 yrs (1501.) 7st. 1Stb. Bumby Mr Smith's b.c. Charley, 3 yrs (501.) 5št. 8ib. Ryder 2 Mr Whitehouse's b. f. Charlotte, 3 yrs (501.) 5st.5lb. Sharpe Mr Speed's gr. h. Everton, 6 yrs (501.) 8st. lib. Marlow - - dr Mr Barton's b. f. Reliance, 4 yrs (501.) 7st. - Duflo
LANCASTER. WEDNESDAY, August the 12th.- The Tradesmen's Plate of ICO sov, in specie, added to a Handicap Stakes of 15 sov, each, 10 ft. and only 5 if declared ; winners of any cup or handicap stakes of 100 sov. value, subsequent to the publication of the weights, to carry 5lb. of two, 7lb. extra; the owner of the second horse recd. back his stake, and the winner paid 101. towards expenses ; two miles and a distance (12 subscribers, 4 of whom paid only 5 sov. each). Mr Whitworth's ch, m. Lady Sarah, by Velocipede, 5 yrs, 7st. 21. (including 5lb. extra)
• Francis 1 Mr Hesseltine's br. c. Fitzwilliam, 3 yrs, 4st. 10fb. Berwick 2 Mr J. Osborne's b.g. Bedale, 4 yrs, 5st. 7ib. - G. Abdale 3
Won by a neck; Bedale a good third. A Plate of 501, the gift of his Grace the Duke of Hamilton and Brandon, for horses that never won previous to the day of entry ; three yrs old, 7st. 61. four, &st. 4ib, five, &st. 10lb. six and aged, 9st. m. and g. allowed 3lb, heats, a mile and a quarter. Mr M. Jones's br. g. British Tar, by Sheet Anchor, 5 yrs
M. Jones 1 1 Mr Hopkins's b. f. De Laine, 4 yrs
Watson 2 2 Mr Hornby's br. c. by Bran, 3 yrs
- Francis 3 3 Mr Osborne's b. f. Hopeful, 3 yrs (bolted and threw her rider)
- Abdale dis Both heats won easily. The Vale of Lune Stakes, a free handicap of 10 sov, each, h. ft. with 25 added; the winner paid 31. towards expenses ; one mile (5 subscribers).
Sir J. Gerard's b. g. The Snob, by Magpie, 4 yrs, 5st. (carried 5st. 71b.)
. Hutchinson 1 Mr Osborne's Bedale, 4 yrs, 5st. 61b. (carried 5st. 8lb.) Abdale 2
Her Majesty's Plate of 100gs; three yrs old, 7st. 510. four, 9st. 4ib. five, 9st. 11 lb. six and aged, 10st. 27b, two-mile heats. Mr Meiklam's br. m. Inheritress, by The Saddler, 6 yrs
Templeman 1 1 Mr W. S. Standish's b. f. Maid of Disley, 3 yrs . - 2 dr Mr W. Thompson na. br. f. Lavender, 4 yrs
- 3 dr Won in a canter. THURSDAY. The Revival Handicap of 10 sov. each, h. ft. if declared, &c. to which 50 would have been added if three borses had started; the winner paid 3 sov, towards expenses; two miles (8 subscribers, 4 of whom paid only 5 sov, each). Mr Hesseltine's br. c. Fitzwilliam, by Lord Stafford, 3 yrs, 4st. 121b,
The Borough Cup (handicap.) of 5 sov, each, 3 ft. with 30 added. by T. Greene, Esq. M.P. and G. Marton, Esq. M.P. one mile and a quarter (6 subscribers). Mr Hesseltine's br. c. Fitzwilliam, 3 yrs, 7st. 5lb. Longstaff 1 Sir J. Gerard's b. g. The Snob, 4 yrs, 6st. 8ib. - Hutchinson 2 Mr Osborne's b. f Hopeful, 3 yrs, 6st. 5lb. – G. Abdale 3 Mr Standish's b. f. Maid of Disley, 3 yrs, 6 st - Berwick 4
Won by nearly a length. The Selling Stakes of 5 sov, each, with 20 added by T. Greene, Esq. M.P. and G. Marton, Esq. M.P. three yrs old, 7st. 121b. four, 9st. five, 9st. 7ib. six and aged, 9st. 10lb. m, and g. allowed 3ib. winners of a 50 sov. stake of public money in 1846 to carry 3ib. twice, 6lb. thrice, 9ib. extra : the winner to be sold for 1201. if entered to be sold for 1901. allowed 5lb. for 801, 101, for 601. 15lb. for 501. 201b. or for 401. 251b. heats, a mile and a distance. Mr Osborne's b. g. Bedale, by Inheritor, 4 yrs (601.)
G. Abdale 4 1 1 Mr Phillips's b.f. by Physician, out of Theano, 4 yıs (401.)
- 1 3 2 Mr Wilkin's b. f. Barbara Young, 4 yrs (401.)
- 2 4 3 Mr Birch's b. b. Talleyrand, 5 yrs (501.)
- 3 2 dr First heat won by half a length ; second and third by a length.
A Handicap Hurdle Race of 3 sov, each, with 20 added ; heats, a mile and a distance, over four hurdles. Mr Smith's b. m. Cumberland Lassie (h.-b.) aged, 9st. 121b. I 1 Mr Hopkins's br. g. Chintz Print, 6 yrs, 10st. 121b. - - 2 2 Mr Barton's ch, h. Ibrahim Pacha (h.-b.) aged, 10st. 8ib. - 3 3
WEDNESDAY, August the 12th. - The Borough Members' Plate of 501, the winner to be sold for 1001. if entered to be sold for 801, allowed 51b. for 501. 121b. one-mile beats. Mr Roberts's b. f. Lady Anna, by Liverpool, 4 yrs (501.) 7st, 6lb.
• Esling 5 1 1 La G. Bentinck's b.g. Plenitude, 4 yrs (501.) 7st. 91b.
Kitchener 1 2 2 Mr Wilson's b. f. Jessy Hammond, 4 yrs (501.) 7st. 61b.
W. Evans 2 3 dr Mr T. Smith's br. g. Jack, 6 yrs (801.) 8st. 101.
T. Brown, jun. 3 4 dr Mr Werninck's b. h. Patchwork, aged (501.) 8st. 6lb.
W. Balchin 4 5 dr First and second heats won by half a length; third by two lengths.
Her Majesty's Plate of 100gs; three yrs old, 8st. 2. four, 9st. 6tb. five, 10st. six and aged, 10st. 31b, heats, the New Course. Sir G. Heathcote's b. c. by Hetman Platoff, out of Nannette, 3 yrs
- Norman 1 1 Ld Stradbroke's br. c. Lynceus, 3 yrs - - Clay 4 2 Mr Ramsbottom's br. h. Pine-apple, 6 yrs T. Brown, jun. 2 3 Ld G. Bentinck's ch. f. My Mary, 4 yrs - - H. Bell 3 dr Mr Lepperd's b. c. Devil's Dust, 4 yrs . . Lepperd dis
First heat won by half a length ; second by a length. The Cup Stakes of 5 sov. each, with 50 added, and 5 for the second borse from the fund: the winner to be sold for 2001. or allowances if to be sold for less; the winner gave two dozen of Champagne to the race Ordinary ; heats, a mile and a half (4 subs.) Mr Jackson's br. m. Syntaxina, by Dr Syntax, aged (1501.) 8st. 8lb.
• T. Brown, jun. 1 1 Ld G. Bentinck's b. f. Pug, 4 yrs (1001.) 7st. 7id. Kitchener 2 2 Mr J. Verrall's br. g. Clansman, 4 yrs (1001.) 7st. 7 ib.
Esling 3 dr First heat won by half a length; second by a length. Sweepstakes of 3 sov, each, with 30 added : the winner to be sold for 60 sov. if entered to be sold for 401, allowed 71b. the second borse recd. back his stake; heats, three quarters of a mile. Ld G. Bentinck's b. f. Jollity, by Bay Middleton, 2 yrz, 6st. 71b.
• Kitchener 2 1 1 Mr Knowles's b. c. by Camel, out of Zenana, 2 yrs (401.) 6st. 3i. .
T. Balchin 1 4 4