Page images

quently appointed to the bench of the Marine Court, of which he was a Judge at the time of his death. He was one of the founders of the American Institute, and always look an active interest in its prosperity.

Nov. 8. In New York, Chevalier Rocco Martuscelli, Envoy Extraordinary from the Court of Naples, aged 52. He had served in this country as the Chargé of his sovereign for fourteen years, and was highly esteemed by all who knew him.

Sept. 5. - In San Francisco, Cal., Brevet Lieut.-Col. J. L. Mason, Captain of Engineers. Col. Mason was a son of Major Milo Mason; was born in Providence, R. I., and educated at West Point. For a long time he had charge of the construction of the fortifications at Fort Adams, and was considered one of the most skilful and scientific officers of the engineer corps. He joined the army under General Scott in Mexico, and was brevetted Major and afterwards Lieutenant-Colonel for gallant and meritorious services. He was appointed by President Pierce to the important charge of superintending the construction of the fortifications at San Francisco, but died from fever contracted while crossing the Isthmus.

Oct. 14. -- In Scituate, R. I., Hon. Elisha Matthewson, aged 88. He was an old school Jeffersonian, and at one time an active politician. He was at different periods a member of the General Assembly of Rhode Island, once Speaker of the House, and from 1807 to 1811 a Senator in Congress from that State.

Sept. 14. - In Goldsborough, N. C., on his return to his home in Bladen County, Hon. James J. McKay, aged 65. He was for 20 years -- from 1831 to 1849 inclusive -a Representative in Congress from the Wilmington District in North Carolina, and for several of his later terms of service was Chairman of the Committee of Ways and Means.

Dec. 1. - In Fredericksburg, Va., Colonel Hugh Mercer, aged 77, the only survivor of the immediate descendant of the illustrious Mercer of the Revolution.

Dec. 7. --In New York, Thomas G. Mower. Mr. Mower was the senior surgeon on the army lists, and served throughout the war of 1812.

Nov. 10. -- Near Columbus, Ga., Major Thomas M. Nelson, aged 71. Major Nelson was a grandson of Secretary Nelson, of Virginia, and a son of Major John Nelson, a gallant soldier of the Revolution. Mr. Nelson entered the army of the United States as a Captain of Infantry in the war of 1812, and served with high distinction during its continuance. On the reduction of the army at the peace establishment, he was retained in the service with the rank of Major. In 1815 he resigned his commission, and soon afterwards was elected to Congress from the Mecklenburg District in Virginia, and served for two terms, from 1816 to 1819, when, declining a re-election, he retired to private life.

Sept. 22. — In New York, Hon. Thomas W. Newton, in 1846 - 47 a member of Congress from Arkansas.

Dec. 21. -- In Somerville, Mass., Rev. Thomas F. Norris, for many years Editor of the Oliver Branch.

Sept. 18. - In Newport, R. I., Rev. Andrews Norton, D. D., aged 68. He was born in Hingham, Mass., in 1786 ; studied theology; graduated at Cambridge in 1804 ; was tutor in Bowdoin in 1809 - 10; was tutor in Cambridge in 1810-11; teacher of theology from 1813 to 1819; Dexter Professor of Sacred Literature from 1819 to 1830, and Librarian from 1313 to 1821. Dr. Norton was a profound and accurate scholar, an eminent theologian, and for talent, acquirements, and influence, one of the most remarkable men in New England. : He was the author of several theological works, the principal one being « Evidences of the Genu. ineness of the Gospels"; and in his publications he supported with skill and power the theological views of the Unitarians. He has also written verses of a devotional cast, and of great beauty and sweetness.

Oct. 18. - In Edenton, N. C., Dr. Matthew Page, a physician of eminence, and a gentleman of considerable literary distinction.

Oct. 6.- In New York, Judge Elijah Paine. He was a son of Judge Elijah Paine, of the United States District Court for the District of Vermont, and was born in Williamstown in that State. He graduated at Cambridge in 1814, and studied law. Early in his practice he established himself in New York city, and soon attained eminence as a lawyer. He was appointed Reporter by Judge Thompson of the United States Circuit Court, and published a volume of Reports. He also, with Mr. Duer, prepared a work on Practice. In 1849 he was elected one of the Justices of the Supreme Court of the city of New York, and occupied this position until the time of his death.

Dec. 30.- In New Bedford, Mass., Hon. John Avery Parker, a distinguished merchant and millionnaire of that city.

Nov. 30.-- In New York, Anson Ĝ. Phelps, Esq., aged 74. Mr. Phelps was President of the New York Colonization Society, and a very prominent, wealthy, and benevolent merchant.

Sept. 21.-- At Riras, General Pineda, the late President of Nicaragua.

Sept. 5. -- In Jackson, Miss., Hon. George Poindexter. He was the second Governor of Mississippi under the State Constitution, from 1819 to 1821. He was a Delegate to Congress from the Territory from 1807 to 1813; a Representative from 1817 to 1819, and Senator from 1831 to 1835.

Dec. 22. – In Louisville, Ky., Thomas H. Shreve, one of the editors of the Louisville Journal.

Sept. 13. — In Madisonville, La., Capt. H. L. Smith, of the Corps of Engineers, U. S. A., aged 44. He had been in command of Forts Pike, Wood, Jackson, and St. Philip.

Dec. 25. - Lieut. Richard H. Smith, of Tennessee, swept from the deck of the San Francisco. Lieut. Smith was appointed to one of the additional infantry regiments authorized in 1847 (the 14th) as Second Lieutenant, and was transferred to the Artillery in June, 1918.

Oct. 3. - In New York, General James Talmadge, aged 75. He was born in Stamford, Duchess County, N. Y., January 20, 1788. He was early in his public life Private Secretary of Governor Clinton. From 1817 to 1819 he was a member of Congress in the lower branch, and opposed strenuously the adoption of the Missouri Compromise. He was an active member of the Convention which framed the Constitution of 1821, and in 1823 was elected to the Assembly from Duchess County. In 1824 he was elected Lieutenant-Governor under Clinton, and in 1846 was a member of the Constitutional Convention of New York. For the last twenty years of his life he was President of the American Institute in New York.

Dec. 25. — Major George Taylor, swept from the deck of the San Francisco. Major Taylor was a native of Georgia, graduated at West Point in 1833, won his first brevet, that of captain, in the Florida war, in 1840, and was commissioned captain in 1847. He served as assistant professor of mathematics at West Point in 1842. In October, 1847, he won his brevet of major, by his gallant conduct at the battle of Huamantia, in Mexico, and in July, 1848, distinguished himself in action at Allixco. Mrs. Taylor was lost with him from the wreck of the San Francisco.

Sept. 20. In Camden, Maine, Hon. Jonathan Thayer, aged 74. Judge Thayer was a native of Milford, Mass., and graduated at Brown University in 1803. He filled various offices of public trust under the State government, the last of which was that of Judge of Probate for Waldo County.

Dec. 25. -- Brevet Lieut.-Col. John Macrae Washington, Major 3d Artillery, U. S. A., swept from the deck of the San Francisco, aged about 60. Colonel Washington was a native of Virginia, and graduated at West Point in 1813. He was commissioned 3d Lieutenant in the Artillery in 1817, and rose rank by rank to his Majority in the 3d Artillery in 1847. In a week from this promotion he won his brevet as Lieutenant Colonel, by his gallant conduct on the field of Buena Vista. He was a thorough tactician in the artillery service, and, as early as 1824, was made instructor in the artillery school at Fort Munroe.

After the battle of Buena Vista, and at the close of the Mexican war, in 1848, Major Washington was appointed to command an expedition across the plains of Mexico, via El Paso, to the Pacific Ocean, which he accomplished, amidst the greatest physical difficulties and the rigors of the climate. His command was to the Ninth Military Department, and from Oct. 1848 to Oct, 1849 he acted as the Military Governor of New Mexico.

Dec. 30. -- In Hartford, Conn., Rev. Lewis Weld, aged 57. He was born at Hampton, Conn., October 17, 1796, and was graduated at Yale College in 1818. In 1822 he was chosen Principal of the Pennsylvania Institution for the Deaf and Dumb, at Philadelphia. In 1830, on the resignation of Rev. Mr. Gallaudet, he was appointed Principal of the American Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb at Hartford, Conn., and he continued in this station until his death.

Nov. 4.-- In Fort Brown, Texas, Brevet Lieut.-Col. Lucien B. Webster, Major of 4th Regiment United States Artillery. He was a native of Vermont, graduated at West Point in 1823, served on the Eastern frontier at the time of. the

Aroostook troubles, in command of the fort at the mouth of Fish River; joined General Taylor's line in the war with Mexico after the battle of Palo Ale, and was brevetted Lieutenant-Colonel for his gallantry at Buena Vista.

Oct. 12. -- In Richmond, Va., Dr. George Watson, an eminent physician, aged 70.


Feb. 24. In Washington, D.C., General Robert Armstrong, aged 64, proprietor of the Washington Union.

June 17. - In New York, Hon. Seward Barculo, Judge of the Supreme Court for the First Judicial District of the State of New York, aged about 50. Judge Barculo succeeded Judge Ruggles as Circuit Judge, and was chosen Justice of the Supreme Court at the first judicial election held under the new State Constitution.

Aug. 4. -- In New York, General Jose Barrundia, Minister to the United States from Honduras, aged 70. In Central America he was long and favorably known as an eminent citizen, and is said to have done much to advance civilization in that country. Elected to the Presidency of the Confederation, he translated and adopted for his own country some of the laws of the United States, particularly a part of those known as the Livingston Code. He devoted his salary as President of the Confederation to the establishment of public schools, and was the prime mover of the liberal party, and the first to raise the standard of rebellion against the Spanish government. He was known as the leader in every movement having for its object the enlightenment and advantage of his countrymen.

Jan. 14. — In Dudley, Mass., Rev. Joshua Bates, D. D., a distinguished member of the New England clergy, aged 77. He graduated at Cambridge in 1800; studied theology, and was settled in Dedham, Mass., in 1803, became President of Middlebury College, Vermont, in 1818, which office he held for twenty-one years, and in 1843 was settled in Dudley, where he continued until his decease.

Jan. 23. — In Philadelphia, Dr. Bird, one of the Editors and Proprietors of the North American. Dr. Bird had been connected for several years with the North American, and was distinguished for his ripe scholarship and high attainments as a writer.

July 16. - At Lebanon Springs, N. Y., Hon. Nathaniel Bowditch Blunt. He was an eminent lawyer and member of the New York bar, and was District Attorney for the city of New York at the time of his death.

April 27.-- In Baltimore, Md., Lieutenant Simon Frazer Blunt, U. S. N., aged 34. Lieut. Blunt was appointed a Midshipman by President Jackson in 1831, in consequence of important services rendered by him in the suppression of the negro insurrection of that year in the southern counties of Virginia. He always discharged the active duties of his profession with ability.

Jan. 23. -- In Georgetown, D. C., Alexander de Bodisco, Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary of the Emperor of Russia to the United States. M. Bodisco had filled the distinguished post of Russian Envoy in this country for seventeen years, and, while ever faithful to his own sovereign, he discharged his delicate trust to the acceptance of the American government and people.

June 11. - In Fredericksburg, Va., Gen. Thomas #1. Botts, aged 54, a lawyer, and one of the leading men of his profession.

July 1. In Boston, Mass., Dr. Waldo J. Burnett, aged 25. Dr. Burnett was for one of his age a distinguished physician and naturalist, and the author of several tracts on medical subjects,

April 18.-In Detroit, Mich., Captain Augustus Canfield. He was a native of New Jersey; a graduate of West Point in 1822 ; and a valuable and esteemed officer of the Corps of Topographical Engineers. He was a son-in-law of the Hon. Lewis Cass.

March 24. -- In Charlottesville, Va., Dabney S. Carr, Esq., aged 51. Mr. Carr was for many years naval officer at Baltimore, and subsequently was Minister Resident of the United States at Constantinople for six years.

Jan. 28. -- Near Richmond, Va., Dr. Lewis W. Chamberlayne. Dr. ChamberJayne was one of the original founders of the Richmond Medical College, and from its commencement was connected with it as Professor of Therapeutics and Materia Medica, sustaining a high reputation as a physician and professor.


May 22. — In St. Louis, Mo., A. B. Chambers, Esq., aged 45, for many years editor of the Missouri Republican.

Jan. 18. - In Savannah, Ga., Judge Robert M. Charlton. Judge Charlton was Senator in Congress from Georgia in 1852 - 53.

Aug. 21. - In Newcastle, Del., Hon. Thomas Clayton, aged 76. Mr. Clayton was a member of the lower house in Congress from 1815 to 1817, and twice a Senator froin 1823 to 1826, and again from 1837 to 1847. He was at different periods a member of the Delaware Legislature, Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas, and Chief Justice of the Superior Court.

Feb. 16. — In Grainger County, Tenn., General John Cocke, aged 82. Gen. Cocke, the eldest son of Col. Williain Cocke, was born in Nottoway County, Virginia, in 1772. In early life he emigrated to Tennessee, and became a member of the first Legislature of the State in 1796. He was Speaker of the House for many years, and in later life was a member of the Senate. From 1819 to 1827 he was an active and influential member of Congress.

Feb. 5. In Haddonfield, N. J., Commander James B. Cooper, U. S. N., aged 93. Mr. Cooper was a soldier in Lee's Legion in the war of the Revolution, and was a sailing.master in the navy in the war of 1812, and served through the

May 8. - In Michigan, Hon. Isaac E. Crary. He was a delegate to Congress from the Territory of Michigan in 1835 and 1836, and was Representative from that State from the time of its admission into the Union, in 1836, to 1841.

Feb. 20. — In Philadelphia, Pa., Elliot Cresson, Esq. Mr. Cresson was associated with many of the benevolent projects of the day, and at the period of his death was the President of the Pennsylvania Colonization Society. He bę. queathed, by will, the large sum of $ 127,000 to different charitable institutions.

April 19. — In Worcester, Mass., Hon. John Davis, aged 67. He was born in Northborough, Mass., and graduated at Yale College in 1812. He entered the profession of law, and established himself in its practice at Worcester, Mass. He was distinguished in early life as an active and zealous member of the Federal party. In 1812, the year of his graduation, being then about 20 years of age, he delivered a somewhat celebrated Fourth of July address, in which he severely criticized the war with England. Upon the breaking up of old party lines, during the Presidency of Monroe, he became an active, prominent, and influential member of the National Republican party. By this party he was elected a Representative to Congress in 1825, and by successive re-elections held the office until 1834. Here he soon distinguished himself by his familiarity with financial and commercial questions, and took an active and able part in the tariff debate of 1828. In 1833 he was the candidate of the National Republican party for Governor of Massachusetts, and was elected by the Legislature ; Hon. J. Q. Adams and Hon. Marcus Morton being the opposing candidates. In 1834 he was elected Governor by a majority of about 17,000. In 1835 he succeeded the Hon. Nathaniel Silsbee as United States Senator. In 1840 he was again elected Governor by a large majority, and was re-elected the following year. In 1845 he was elected by the Legislature to fill the vacancy made in the United States Senate by the death of Hon. Isaac C. Bates, and remained in that body until 1853, when he declined a re-election. He was a man of great ability, and had acquired a large information upon and practical acquaintance with the business and commerce of the country. Of singular uprightness, he had gained the pub. lic confidence, and was known by the familiar title of '“ Honest John Davis.” Upon news of his death, the Legislature, which was in session, adopted resolutions in honor of his memory and of his great public services, and a committee attended the funeral services at his burial.

June 17. - In Charlestown, Mass., Christopher C. Deane, for twenty years the Treasurer and Agent of the Massachusetts Sabbath School Society.

Aug. 11. - In Charlestown, Mass., Commodore John Downes, aged 69. Commodore Downes was a native of Canton, Massachusetts ; entered the navy in 1802, and was in active service during the war of 1812. He was a Lieutenant with Commodore Porter, on board the Essex, in his sanguinary conflict at Valparaiso in 1814 with two British vessels, the frigate Phæbe and the sloop-of-war Cherub, and displayed great gallantry during the action. He commanded the Macedonian and other ships in the Pacific in 1817 – 18, when Lord Cochran commanded the Chilian fleet. He was in service in 1831, and commanded the frigate Potomac, and bonibarded the piratical town of Quallah Battoo, on the

coast of Sumatra, in reprisal for injuries done to American sailors by the Malay pirates. He was last at sea in 1834, and his whole sea service covered a period of twenty-four years and three months. At the time of his death he was the third upon the list of Post Captains, Commodores Stewart and Morris being his seniors. In all the relations of life he was upright and honorable. Aug. 14.

- In Orchard Springs, Ky., Hon. Solomon U. Downs, Collector of the Port of New Orleans, and from 1847 to 1853 Senator in Congress for Louisiana.

March 19. - In Washington, D. C., William P. Dural, formerly Governor of Texas, aged 70. Governor Duval was born in Virginia, but went early in life to Kentucky, where he studied and practised law. In 1812 he was elected a member of Congress from the Bardstown District, and served as such during the sessions of 1813

– 14. In 1822 he was appointed Governor of Florida by President Munroe, and was re-appointed by Mr. Adams and General Jackson. In 1848 he removed to and settled in the State of Texas.

July 29. -- In Washington, D. C., William Easby, Esq., late Commissioner of the Public Buildings.

July 26. -- In Aurora, N. Y., Miss Mary Abby Fillmore, daughter of Ex-Presi. dent Fillmore, aged 22.

July 12. - In Boston, Rev. Louis Dwight, aged 61. He was born at Stockbridge, Mass., March 25, 1793, and was graduated at Yale College in 1813. He studied theology, received a license to preach, and was for some time agent of benevolent societies. In June, 1825, the Prison Discipline Society was founded at Boston, Mass., and he was appointed Corresponding Secretary.

To the promotion of the interests of this important institution of public economy and Christian philanthropy he devoted the rest of his life.

Feb. 8. - In Washington, D. C., Thomas Fitzpatrick, about seventy years of age. Mr. Fitzpatrick was the veteran and venerable agent for the Upper Arkansas and Platte Indians; was a valued servant of the Indian Department, and had a powerful influence with the Indian tribes of the great plains.

March 15. --In Havana, Cuba, Philip Greely, of Boston, aged 43. Mr. Greely was a native of Portland, Me., and, in addition to a liberal education, possessed fine natural endowments. He was for many years engaged in business in Boston, and during the administrations of General Taylor and Mr. Fillmore was Collector of the Port of Boston and Charlestown. By his suggestions to the Government a notorious system of false entries at several of the large ports was broken up.

Jan.5. - In Quincy, Mass., Hon. Thomas Greenleaf, aged 80. He graduated at Harvard College in 1784, and for more than six years had been the sole survivor of his class.

July 30. Governor Gregory, the Governor of the Bahamas. Aug. 14. -- In Harford County, Md., William Gwynn, Esq., of Baltimore, aged 80. Mr. Gwynn, formerly editor of the Baltimore Gazette, was the oldest lawyer in Maryland, and was held in high estimation by the public.

Aug. -- In New York, General Nicholas Haight, an active officer of the war of 1812.

July 15. - In Warren, R. I., Judge Levi Haile, of the Supreme Court of Rhode Island.

March 26. - In Lexington, Mass., Jonathan Harrington, aged 85. Mr. Harrington was a fifer for the who assembled at Lexington Green on the memorable morning of the 19th April, 1775, and was the last survivor of the gallant band who were engaged in that first conflict of the American Revolution.

Aug. 11. - At the Virginia Military Institute, Thomas Henderson, a Surgeon in the United States Army, aged 65. Dr. Henderson was widely known as a practitioner of medicine in Washington and Georgetown prior to his entrance into the army in 1833.

June 30. — In Baltimore, Md.,.Edward Hinckley, Esq., an eminent member of the Baltimore bar.

March 24. – In Washington, D. C., Hon. Selah R. Hobbie, First Assistant Postmaster-General, aged 57. Mr. Hobbie was born in Newburgh, N. Y., in 1797, and at an early day established himself at Delhi, Delaware County, in the practice of the law, where he was soon appointed District Attorney. He was elected to Congress in 1826, and served from 1827 to 1829, when, on the accession of General Jackson to the Presidency, he was appointed Assistant Postmaster-General, which office he held until 1850, when he voluntarily retired on ac

« PreviousContinue »