Page images

cident over a glass of whiskey, accepted the hospitality of the Frenchman, and after an early breakfast came to the assistance of his comrade, who had spent the night awaiting his return. My father's account book says: “36 bu. of wheat at 60 cents, $21.88; barrel of salt, $2.50; expenses, $1.94; cash brought home, $1.82, the rest in sundries."

This year, 1834, was the first opening up of trade and business between Paw Paw and the prairie, as on June 20, of the same year my father, with others, worked on the road crossing the swamp just west of Law ton, and the same season Enoch Barrett brought lumber to exchange for corn from Paw Paw. In the summer of 1833, my father visited the place and found no one living there, but the frame of a sawmill had been erected and perhaps the builders were absent temporarily.

In the winter of 1835, I accompanied my father on a trip to St. Joseph. Our load was oats to be exchanged for salt, and we were absent six days; first day to Paw Paw, where we stayed at Enoch Barrett's having become acquainted through his lumber trips for corn; second day stayed at Rulo's; third day reached Judge Burdick's workmen's quarters on the east side of the St. Joseph River (he was a contractor building a road across the marsh towards the Paw Paw River). Other teamsters were there from Big Prairie Ronde for the same purpose as my father.

All clubbed together and during the remainder of that day and fourth day out crossed the river getting salt back on the ice, as the ice was not strong enough to bear teams. Fifth day four teams laden with salt reached Emerson's and went into camp at the northwest corner of Prospect Lake. The body of a log barn was up and a scaffold over part, covered with marsh hay for a roof, was utilized. Several of the tenderest horses occupied part and the rest of the barn was used by us for fire, shelter and camp. The sixth day we reached home after dark, at noon stopping at Dodge's, Paw Paw. The house was but a temporary affair then. One peculiarity I recollect even now, the main building was divided by a partition, in an opening of which a stove was placed so that the rear or back part warmed the office, while the front was on duty for domestic purposes for the family. One load of oats was forty-two bushels and sold to Judge Burdick for thirty-seven and one-half cents per bushel, and our salt comprised four barrels at two dollars and sixty-two and one-half cents per barrel. The only settler between Paw Paw and St. Joseph at that time was John B. Rulo, a Frenchman living in the township of Bainbridge, about two miles northeast of Millburg. In addition to the log barn at Prospect Lake, several miles west there was a hewed log house partly built but no roof, otherwise no improvements. It had snowed recently but there were no fresh tracks and the supposition was there were no settlers around, yet the snows had hardly melted ere the road spoken of, so desolate then, was to become an artery of life to the thronging settlers overrunning Van Buren County to found homes for themselves and their posterity.

Judge Monroe followed the example of Dolphin Morris settling in the northwestern part of the county.



The birth of the city of Hastings is so closely connected with the coming to Barry County of Henry A. Goodyear? that it may be interesting to note conditions that existed shortly before the subject of our sketch took up his abode in the then wilderness.

On the 26th of July, 1836, Eurotas P. Hastings, who was then president of the Bank of Michigan and auditor general of the State, sold to Philo Dibble, Lansing Kingsbury and Cornelius Kendall, the tract of land on which the city is now located. It was known at that time as “The Barry County Seat Purchase.” On the 25th day of August, following the purchase, these gentlemen together with Andrew L. Hays and Samuel Camp organized the Hastings Company for the purpose of starting the village. The first step was the building of a sawmill which was built on the creek just south of the electric light plant. Mr. Slocum H. Bunker had been engaged to come with his family to Hastings for the purpose of boarding the men who were engaged to construct the mill. Mr. Bunker built a log cabin on the spot now known as the Barry Hotel. He did not expect to make Hastings his home when he came, but as a matter of fact remained for several years and therefore is entitled to the honor of being the first settler in the city of Hastings. With Mr. Bunker came his brother Thomas who in 1839, (the year before Mr. Goodyear came to the city of Hastings) was elected the first clerk of Barry County.

A paper read before the Barry County Pioneer Society, June, 1908, and published in the Hastings Banner.

2See Mich. Pion, and Hist. Colls., Vol. XXXI, p. 14. *Eurotas P. Hastings was born in Washington, Litchfield County, Conn., July 20, 1791. At the age of six he and his parents moved to Clinton, Oneida County, N. Y. He received a good education and when he was fourteen he began to earn his own living, clerking in a store in Clinton. At nineteen he entered partnership with his brother. In 1811 the firm made a contract to furnish material for the first permanent buildings of Hamilton College in that town. After five years of successful business, Eurotas moved to Utica, N. Y., where he remained two years. He was then appointed teller in the bank at Geneva, N. Y., and stayed there five years. In December, 1824, he was appointed agent of their bank at Detroit with permission to remain there as one of the directors if he chose. Upon arriving there he found the affairs of the bank in a bad state and was asked to examine into them. He found the cashier, James McCloskey, had stolen some of the funds and straightway exposed him. During the investigation he was made president of the bank. In 1840 Mr. Hastings was elected auditor-general of Michigan on the Whig ticket, and served until 1842. The accounts of the office were in a mass of confusion and he had the books of both the auditor-general and state Treasurer rewritten. He also took charge of the accounts of the Michigan Central Railroad, which was then owned by the state. Mr. Hastings was married three times. His first wife, Electra Owen, died before he came to Detroit. His second wife was Mrs. Philema Moody, whom he probably married at Geneva, N. Y. Henry Dwight Hastings was the only child of this marriage who lived to manhood. His third wife was Theodosia Deveaux, daughter of Mary Deveaux. Theodosia's first husband was a lawyer named W. W. Petit, who was probate judge in 1825. Mrs. Hastings died March 4, 1863, aged sixty-two years. Her husband followed her three years later, June 1, 1866, aged seventy-five years. Detroit News-Tribune, March 1, 1896.

In June, 1837, Willard Hayes came to Hastings on an inspection tour, and about the same time Abner C. Parmelee made his appearance, and with the assistance of Mr. Hays put up a log cabin just east of the Barry Hotel. These two men for sometime kept what was known as “Bachelor's Hall.” The village then in 1837 included Parmelee, Hays, , Mr. Bunker and his family, and a few men who were assisting in building the mill; Mrs. Bunker being the only woman in the village, and it is said for eight months after her coming she was not permitted to see a representative of her sex save Indian squaws.

In 1839 Mr. Hayes and Mr. Dibble built a gristmill,-a great event in the village of Hastings. Abner C. Parmelee, register of deeds and acting county treasurer, lived in a log house near where the gristmill now stands. Mr. Levi Chase was "keeping tavern” on the bank of the river near the iron bridge on Michigan avenue. This tavern sheltered Mr. Goodyear during his first visit to Hastings. Alexander McArthur was running the sawmill and keeping a place of entertainment in the log house previously kept by Mr. Bunker. Willard Hayes, who was then sheriff, lived in a frame house, the first one built in Hastings, and erected by Dr. David M. Dake, on the corner now occupied by Wright Bros. Mr. Hayes was also postmaster.* Philander Turner, a carpenter, was living in a shanty near the gristmill, and Hiram J. Kenfield, carpenter and Indian trader, lived in a board shanty east of the Journal office. Mr. H. J. Kenfield came to Hastings the year before Henry A. Goodyear, and took a contract for building the bridge over the river just north of the gristmill on Michigan avenue. He took the contract for building the courthouse later. When Mr. Goodyear came to Hastings in August, 1840, a store building was being erected by Mr. Kenfield on the corner now occupied by Cook & Sentz. Taking advantage of the situation Mr. Goodyear immediately started for the east for a stock of goods. Returning in November he opened the first store in the village and is therefore Barry County's first merchant. Shortly after, he removed his place of business to a building situated on the corner now occupied by the Hastings National Bank. The land purchased by him at that time, or part of it, he owned at the time of his death.

*Mr. Hayes' receipts for postage were less than one dollar, though letter postage was twenty-five cents each. It was said the stage driver allowed the postmaster just seven and one-half minutes to sort the mail which was dumped on the floor for that purpose.

5Hiram J. Kenfield was one of the well known Indian traders in the western part of Michigan. He was born in Virgil, Wyoming County, N. Y., November 16, 1812. His parents were William Lee Kenfield and Mary Popple. His father came to Michigan in 1844 and died in Hastings in 1858. Hiram preceded his father, coming to Michigan in 1837 and Hastings in 1839. He built the first court-house, the first store and the first hotel, and in 1842 was elected sheriff of the county. At one time he had only one prisoner in jail and for fear of his getting lonesome it was his custom to let him roam at will through the day and on his return lock him up for the night. He was twice married, his first wife, Polly, daughter of Frederick Ingraham, and his second, Sophia E., daughter of Henry Standish. Hiram died June 28, 1877. History of Allegan and Barry Counties, Michigan, *Dr. William Upjohn was born in Shaftsbury, Dorsetshire, England, in March, 1807. He received his schooling at the Bluecoat School, Shaftsbury. He came to Michigan with his brother, Uriah, in 1835 and settled in Richland, Kalamazoo County. After trying farming he joined his brother in the practice of medicine and in 1848 came to Hastings. In 1842 he married Miss Affa Connet. She died and in 1847 he married her sister, Lydia Amelia. In 1852 he was elected register of deeds and the same year member of the first board of regents of the University of Michigan. In 1862 he accepted the position of surgeon of the Seventh Michigan Cavalry and was promoted to surgeon-in-chief of the First Brigade of the First Division Cavalry of the Army of the Potomac. After the war was over he returned to his practice. In 1872 the University conferred upon him the honorary degree of Doctor of Medicine. He died at Hastings, August 2, 1887. History of Allegan and Barry Counties, Michigan, and History of the University of Michigan by Hinsdale, 1906.

In the spring of 1841, Alvin W. Bailey came to Hastings and opened a store on the corner now occupied by the J. S. Goodyear Company. Mr. Bailey, therefore, has the distinction of being the second merchant or trader who came to this city. Their customers in the main consisted of Indian traders, and for many years the greater portion of their business was with the Indians. The third merchant to come to Hastings was Dr. William Upjohn.? Time will not permit me to enumerate the men who followed and took part in building up the various enterprises in the village of Hastings. Mrs. Willard Hayes is the only survivor of the first settlers of this city. She, together with Mrs. Philander Turner, Henry A. Goodyear, A. W. Bailey, Dr. William Upjohn, Mrs. Vespasian Young, were the last survivors among those who became residents before the close of the year 1841.

There was no schools in the village of Hastings previous to 1840. Alvin W. Bailey came from Marshall in 1841 and soon entered into partnership with Henry A. Goodyear.

"We quote from a scrapbook in possession of Mrs. Mane Upjohn a program of June 19, 1867, of commencement exercises of the union school printed by The Pioneer, an early paper of Hastings. Prof. Stewart, now Judge Stewart, of Grand Rapids, was principal. The salutatory was given by Loyal E. Knappen, now a federal judge of Grand Rapids. Rose Goodyear read an essay on Hannibal and Punic Wars. Clarence M. Burton, now of Detroit, delivered an oration on Horrors of the Past. Essays were given by Sarah Barlow and Affa Upjohn which were highly commended. Hastings Banner, July 27, 1911.

The only children of school age were two belonging to Slocum H. Bunker. In the winter, however of 1840 and 1841 we find that Mrs. Ellen McArthur taught tbe first school in the village in a room in her father's tavern. She had four pupils. In the spring of 1841 the first schoolhouse was completed, and was occupied not only for a schoolhouse but was used also for holding court until the courthouse was completed. Mr. Tillotson Munger and George Beardsley appear to have come to the village during the winter of 1840 and 1841, Mr. Munger establishing the first blacksmith shop on the bank of the river near the iron bridge crossing Michigan avenue. Mr. Beardsley was a carpenter. During the winter of 1840 and 1841 Mr. Elisha Alden, a shoemaker, together with his two sons, also came to the village. Dr. David Dake, Hastings' first physician, had come and gone, but in 1841 Dr. William Upjohn succeeded him.

When Mr. Goodyear came here Hastings was a village in the woods, and appears to have been divided at about the point now occupied by Goodyear's hardware store by a deep ravine running from south to north. As the village increased in population this ditch was gradually filled up. There was a time when Mr. Goodyear standing at his store door was unable to see Sheriff Hayes' house a hundred feet away on account of the trees. He established the first bank in the county of Barry. Together with his general mercantile business he did an extensive banking business, and his elder son George Goodyear enjoyed the reputation of being one of the best bankers the county ever had. The banking business established by him in 1859 was the beginning of the business now conducted by the Hastings National Bank. There were few enterprises in the village or city of Hastings from 1810 to 1887 that Henry A. Goodyear was not identified with. This period constituted his active business career.

In 1855 Mr. Goodyear was associated with his brother William S. in conducting a general mercantile business. In the summer of 1855 he sold his interest in the business to Nathan Barlow, the new firm being known as Barlow & Goodyear. In 1856 he bought out the dry goods business conducted by Ferris, Edgcomb & Barlow. Three years later he sold this business and purchased of J. S. Goodyear a hardware stock and at the same time established a banking business. This was the beginning of his long and successful career in the hardware business, which at the present time is being so ably conducted by Goodyear Bros.

Although he was a business man and gave his business interests the closest personal attention, he found time for recreation and rest. Gun Lake was one of the spots ever dear to him. He was one of the first

'Henry McConnell says the Ottawa name for Gun Lake was Pen-as-ee, meaning bird. It was not surveyed until 1837 so could not have been named by the surveyors, as it was called Gun Lake in McCoy's Indian Missions in 1824, and by Farmer the same in 1835. The old name for Walloon was Muckwa or Bear Lake. Hastings Banner, July 27, 1911.

« PreviousContinue »