Page images

orary member Southern Dental Association, etc. Copyrighted, 1883. Third edition, revised and enlarged. Philadelphia: Welch Dental Co., 1885. Price, paper, 25 cents.

Address of the State Board of Health and Yital Statistics of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to the People of Pennsylvania. Harrisburg: E. K. Meyers, State printer, 1885.

Transactions of the Michigan Dental Association, Twenty-Ninth and Thirtieth Annual Sessions, 1884 and 1885. Published by the Association. Detroit: Wm. Graham, printer, 1885.

Tracts on Massage. No. II: The Physiological Effects of Massage. Translated from the German of Eeibmayr, with Notes, by Benjamin Lee, A.M., M.D., Ph. D. Philadelphia, 1885. Price, flexible cover, 25 cents.

Abnormal Positions of the Head: What do they Indicate? By Edward Borck, A.M., M.D., professor of surgery, etc. St. Louis, Mo., 1885. Eeprint from the Medical and Surgical Reporter, Philadelphia, Pa.

The Therapeutics of High Temperatures in Young Children. By William Perry Watson, A.M., M.D., Jersey City, N. J., assistant to the chair of diseases of children in the New York Polyclinic. Beprinted from the "Archives of Pediatrics," September, 1884. Philadelphia: John E. Potter & Co., 1885.



Alfred Wright, L.D.S., Montreal, Canada, aged thirty-one years.
John H. Samuel, L.D.S., Montreal, Canada, aged twenty-five years.

Within a few days of each other two of the most promising young Canadian dentists were carried off by unnatural deaths.

Dr. Wright, nephew and once a student of Dr. Chas. Brewster, of Montreal, had been in the habit for several years of inhaling chloroform to relieve pain. On Tuesday afternoon, the 24th September, he went to his room, and as usual locked the door and told the housekeeper not to disturb him. On Thursday the woman sent in for his neighbor, Dr. Beers. The door was broken open, and Dr. Wright was found dead, with the cone close to his face, having been dead two days. He was a very quiet, worthy confrere, and had a large circle of friends in athletic and boating clubs.

Dr. Samuel's death was even sadder. During the small-pox epidemic the Victoria Rifle Volunteers, of which he was a member, were on guard of the grounds where the civic hospital was being erected. A mob of French Canadians had threatened to assail and destroy the place, and word was sent to the sentries, of whom Dr. Samuel was one, to have ball cartridges ready, but not to load. The order was misunderstood by a few of the younger soldiers, and one of them when withdrawing the cartridge let his thumb slip. The rifle went off, and the ball, striking the ground first, rebounded and struck Dr. Samuel in the back. He lived about seven hours. Dr. Samuel was for three years a student of Dr. Beers, of Montreal; was then assistant to Dr. E. A. Bogue, of New York, for two years' and, after being associated for one year with Dr. Beers on his return to Montreal, began business for himself, and distinguished himself as one of the most successful young practitioners. He was buried with military honors.

The dentists of Montreal turned out as a body at the funerals of both confreres, and sent beautiful floral wreaths. The loss professionally, and to many of us personally, is one not easily replaced —W. G. B. J F


Cocaine In Dental Surgery.—Having read with interest the reports which have appeared week after week of the various uses to which cocaine has been put, I thought a few particulars of my experiments with it in dental surgery might be interesting.

For extraction I have tried both the solution and the hydrochlorate of cocaine itself, and with the latter have obtained very satisfactory results. It seems to answer best for front teeth and bicuspids -r also for stumps when separate. The following case will show the method adopted, etc.:

E. W., a porter, aged 20, came to the Dental Hospital to be relieved of a lower right second bicuspid, which was above the average size and quite firm. I first surrounded the tooth and about half an inch of the gum around it with the corner of a napkin, to keep the parta dry and prevent the cocaine from being carried off in the saliva. I then freely applied the crystals to the gum close around the tooth three times, at intervals of two minutes each. After the second application, the gum was entirely anesthetized, the patient not feeling the pricks of a sharp probe. A few seconds after the third application, with a pair of warm forceps, which I carefully hid from view, I extracted the tooth, and said nothing for some time. At last I desired the patient to wash out his mouth, but he began to smiler saying the tooth was not out; nor would he believe that it was until he had felt the empty socket with his finger.

With large teeth I have found it a good plan to treat as above, and then, just before extracting, to introduce the nozzle of a fine hypodermic syringe between the gum and neck of the tooth, and

inject three or four minims of the 4 per cent, solution. This may not, however, be possible in all cases.

With molar teeth, more especially upper, although the pain is greatly diminished, there is always the twinge of the actual separation of the tooth from its socket, and the rupture of the nerves, etc., at the apices of its roots.

In all the cases I have seen the gum has returned to its normal state in a short time, and there has been no unfavorable symptoms of any kind, although I have carefully watched for them, both locally and otherwise. As an obtundent for sensitive dentine, the 20 per cent, solution has proved, so far, very effectual. By applying it on a pellet of cotton-wool for a short time, I have been enabled to proceed with the preparation of a cavity for filling which before has caused the patient the most acute pain; and a solution of this strength will, 1 think, be found of great advantage in cavities in close proximity to the nerve, or even in operations on the nerve itself.-—J. McKno Ackland, M.R.C.S., in British Med. Jour.

Phosphorus Necrosis Of The Jaws.—Dr. J. Ewing Mears, of Philadelphia, read a paper on this subject, which closed with the following conclusions: 1. That the disease was a local expression of the constitutional condition produced by the inhalation of the vapor of phosphorus, and by particles of the agent taken into the system with the food by operatives in match factories who did not give proper attention to cleanliness of the hands. 2. That the introduction of the agent into the system was, as a rule, very gradual, and in such small quantities as to avoid the production of symptoms of acute poisoning; that in this way the chronic toxic condition of the system wras induced, characterized chiefly by disintegration of the red-blood corpuscles and fatty degeneration of the arterial coats. 3. That the toxic condition preceded the jaw disease, as was shown by the fact that the disease did not attack operatives recently exposed to the action of the agent, but those who had been exposed for a period of years. 4. That examination of the teeth of operatives had shown that many who had caries, and had returned to work immediately after the extraction of teeth, had enjoyed immunity from the disease, showing that the agent had not attacked the periosteal tissue thus exposed. This was further shown by the fact that in one of the cases necrosis did not appear until three months after labor in the factory had ceased. 5. That individuals varied in their susceptibility to the action of the poison; for this reason many suffered immediately with acute symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, etc., and were compelled to abandon work in the factories. 6. That the conditions under which experiments had been made on animals, to prove the absence of the disease until exposure of the periosteum and peri-alveolar tissue was effected, were not similar to those to which operatives in match factories wTere subjected. 7. That treatment of the disease in the primary stage was efficient and prevented its progress. 8. That the antidotal powers of turpentine had been established. 9. That the disease was to be prevented among operatives by the adoption of thorough methods of ventilation, stringent rules with regard to cleanliness, and the free disengagement of the vapor of turpentine in all the apartments of factories in which the fumes of phosphorus escaped.-ii^or* American Surgical Association, in Jy. x. Med. Journal.'

Salivary Calculus In A Medical Man.—Dr. de Eato y Eoees describes in the Bevista Asturiana de Giencias Medicas his own ease of salivary calculus When a child the sublingual glands were indurated and painful; afterwards that on-the right side disappeared, but the left gland continued to cause trouble, the pain being felt in Wharton s duct, and there being increased secretion of viscid saliva Ihese symptoms, however, disappeared for a time. For several years, especially during the later months, pain and inflammation have returned, sometimes extending to the right side. After the acute symptoms have subsided a permanent induration has always remained. Last December Dr. de Eato suffered from a more severe attack of this kind than usual, accompanied by repeated rigors followed by severe pain and febrile disturbance. Afterwards'the inflammation extended, and glossitis and amvgdaiitis prevented speech and the ingestion of food; then came a "copious secretion of viscid saliva. By the fifth day, when the inflammation had to some extent subsided, a probe passed into Wharton's duct detected a calculus, which was extracted by forceps the following day. It was of the shape of a date-stone, weighed 540 milligrammes (8-37 gr.), and was of the hardness of chalk. Externally it was of a dirty white color with reddish spots, and internally it was white. Since the extraction of the calculus the induration remains, and Dr. de Eato believes there are also small calculi in the duct.—The Lancet.

Salivary Calculus Of Steno's Duct.—Dr. B. C. Seguin presented a specimen obtained from a gentleman who was under treatment for specific hemiplegia. He was now in good general health; but a few days ago, without any apparent cause, the cheek began to swell in front of the parotid gland, and there was also swelling to be seen about the orifice of Steno's duct, from which a profuse amount of mucous fluid escaped. The next morning the patient found the calculus presented lying between the cheek and jaw, and the duct was diminished in size. A few years ago Dr. Seguin met with a similar case of calculus of Wharton's duct in a lady of gouty diathesis. There was swelling and an abnormal tenderness, and on introducing the probe into Wharton's duct it came in contact with a hard substance. Within a few days the calculus was thrown out spontaneously, as in the case just related. It seemed somewhat remarkable that there could be spontaneous extrusion of calculi of so large size.—Proceedings N. Y. Pathological Society, in Phila. Med. Times.

Fatty Injections In Salivary Fistula.—In the Abeille Medicale, No. 51, 1884, M. Molliere, of Lyons, reports a case of salivary fistula cured by a novel procedure. At the age of six years, when suffering from measles, a painful swelling appeared beneath the ear of a girl, which was incised, and gave vent to saliva, the flow being increased during mastication and by stimulating articles of food. Ten years subsequently an unsuccessful attempt was made to close the opening by a plastic operation; and, a year later, when the patient came under the charge of Molliere, there was a small opening below and in front of the lobule of the ear, which communicated with a small duct given off by one of the lobules of the parotid gland. Acting upon an experiment of Claude Bernard, who succeeded in destroying the secretory elements of the pancreas by injecting an oleaginous substance into the canal of Wirsungius, Molliere threw into the fistula about eight drops of carbolized oil, without any apparent effect. Upon repeating the operation, however, six weeks subsequently, the affected lobule atrophied, and the fistula closed spontaneously. As the parotid gland is not essential to life, Molliere recommends a resort to fatty injections in all cases of salivary fistulas of the duct of Steno which have proved rebellious to other measures.—Med. News.

Easy Cure Foe Salivary Fistula.—The following method does not appear to be mentioned in any of the usual text-books of surgery :* J. K., a fish salesman, came to me about the New Year with a fistula of the parotid duct x»esulting from a former knife-wound. The flow of saliva was continuous, but was much aggravated at meals and when opening oysters in the course of his business. Applications of nitrate of silver, pure nitric acid, and a hot wire were tried without success, as all communication with the mouth seemed shut off. On January 20 two needles threaded on one fairly strong piece of silk were successively passed through the fistula into the mouth, on a rather lower level than the external fistulous orifice, piercing the buccal mucous membrane about a quarter of an inch apart. The needles were then removed, and the threads firmly tied and cut off short, thus leaving a ligature inclosing part of the internal wall of the duct, a portion of mucous membrane, and the intervening structures, but in no way preventing the healing of the external wound, as would be done by the seton usually recommended. The edges of the fistula were touched with pure nitric acid on January 22, and some swelling of the side of the face ensued. On January 25 a scab had formed outside, and nearly all the saliva found its way into the mouth. This scab came off a few days later, leaving the skin soundly healed, and the ligature inside cut its way through the mucous membrane on February 11, since which time the man has experienced nothing differing from the normal condition.— Alfred Hodgson, M. B. Aber., in The Lancet.


A Case Of Transplantation.—In the "Periscope" of the September number of the Dental Cosmos a remarkable case of re-implantation of a tooth is reported, in which a tooth was replaced seventeen hours after being forced out, I know of a case in which a lower molar was replanted ten days after it was extracted, and has proved a success. I now wish to report a case of transplantation. Annie R., twelve years of age, was brought to me by her mother, on the 23d of October, 1880, with the left superior lateral incisor broken off; the root hopelessly decayed, badly ulcerated, and fistulous; altogether beyond the possibility of being put in a condition to support a grafted crown of any description. As I considered her too young to wear a plate, I determined on transplantation, if I could find a

« PreviousContinue »