Page images
[ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][graphic]

and 600 on the second, and had two guns burst and four disabled. Notwithstanding the terrific character of the bombardment, during which, according to rebel statements, over twenty thousand shot or shell were sired from the fifty vessels of Admiral Porter, Fort Fisher remained substantially uninjured; and such was the perfection of its bombproofs, and the alacrity with which the troops of the garrison availed themselves of the shelter they asforded, that only three men were killed and fifty-five wounded. A small co-operative expedition sent by General Palmer from Plymouth,

under Colonel Frankle, proceeded on the 9th of December to Gardner's Bridge, on the Roanoke, beyond Jamestown. The Ninth New Jersey easily carried the bridge, and at Spring Green Church the same regiment and the Twenty-seventh Massachusetts again fell upon the enemy, inslicting considerable loss and capturing five officers and thirty men. On the 19th, Colonel Frankle moved on to Rainbow Bluff, on the Roanoke, where the enemy being found in force, and the gun-boats whose aid had been depended on not being able to ascend the river on account of torpedoes, he returned to Plymouth.


Second Expedition against Fort Fisher.—General Terry selected to command the Land Forces.—The Landing.—Precautionary Measures.—Tremendous Bombardment.—The Assault.—Storming Column of Sailors and Marines repulsed.—The Works carried by General Ames' Division and Colonel Abbott's Brigade.—Losses.—Captures.—Fort Fisher stronger than the Malakoff Tower.—Other Forts blown up and abandoned by the Rebels.-Arrival of General Schofield.—Advance up the Peninsula.-Movement of General Cox along the West Side of Cape Fear River.— Evacuation of Fort Anderson.-General Advance toward Wilmington.—Gun-boats hindered by Torpedoes and Obstructions.—Occupation of Wilmington by the Federal Forces.

THE fleet of Admiral Porter remained off Fort Fisher for several days after the return of the land forces to Fortress Monroe, but finally, as nothing more could be done toward the reduction of the fort without the aid of a land force, returned to Beaufort. In the mean time the Secretary of the Navy and Admiral Porter wrote to General Grant, expressing the conviction, which was held also by almost the entire

public, that under a proper leader the


fort could be taken, and General Grant immediately engaged to send a force to renew the attempt. General Terry was selected to command the land forces of the second expedition, which consisted of the two divisions formerly employed, with the addition of a brigade of fifteen hundred men under Colonel Abbott, and a siege train of twenty thirtypounder and four hundred-pounder Parrott guns, and twenty Coehorn mortars, with a detail of artillerists and a com

[ocr errors]

pany of engineers. The entire force numbered a little over eight thousand IIl C Il. On the morning of the 6th of January Jan, the transports with the troops sailed 6. from Fortress Monroe for Beaufort, to join Admiral Porter's fleet, but a severe storm arising on that day, did not arrive off Beaufort till the 8th, some of the vessels damaged by the gale, others requiring repairs to their engines or in need of coal or water. The adverse weather continued till the 11th, but on the morning of the 12th the entire fleet of war vessels and transports sailed for Federal Point, arriving there about dark. It was decided not to attempt the disembarkation of troops till the following morning, when, at four o'clock, the inshore division of war vessels standing in close to the beach to cover the landing, the transports followed, and took positions as nearly as possible in a line parallel to and about two hundred yards outside of them. The iron-clads moved down to within range of Fort Fisher and opened fire upon it, while another division of vessels was stationed to the north of the landing place, to protect the troops from any attack in the direction of Masonboro Inlet. The landing commenced about eight o'clock, about five miles north of Fort Fisher, nearly two hundred boats besides steam-tugs being sent from the vessels of war to the transports to assist in the operations. This went on so rapidly that by three in the afternoon nearly eight thousand men with three days' cooked rations and forty rounds of ammunition, besides six

days' supply of hard bread in bulk, three hundred thousand rounds of small-arm ammunition, and an adequate number of intrenching implements, had been safely landed. The weather had now become pleasant, but the surf on the beach was still very high, in consequence of which some of the troops had their ammunition and rations wet and spoiled. Nothing else of an untoward nature occurred in the disembarkation. Pickets thrown out as soon as the landing commenced, encountered those of the enemy, and exchanged shots with them, but no serious engagement followed. A few prisoners were taken, and from these it was ascertained that the enemy's force under General Hoke, which it was supposed had been sent southward, was still in the vicinity, and that the outposts met were those of his command. It became therefore the first object of General Terry to establish a strong defensive line across the peninsula from the ocean to Cape Fear River, to protect the troops destined to assault the forts from attack in the rear. General Paine's division was pushed across to the river for this purpose, and a line was taken up; but some disadvantages connected with it determined General Terry to establish another on ground better adapted to his purposes, about two miles from the enemy's works. The troops were therefore withdrawn from the first line, and reached their new position about two o'clock on the Jan. morning of the 14th. Intrenching 14. tools were immediately brought up, and by eight o'clock a good breast-work

« PreviousContinue »