« PreviousContinue »
COMMITTEE OF THE HIGHLAND SOCIETY
APPOINTED TO INQUIRE INTO THE NATURE AND
POEMS OF OSSIAN.
ptumr ur, Accordinp ro The Directkks Op The coMMitiat,
HENRY MACKENZIE, Esq.
ITS COXPENRR OR CHAIRMAN.
CONTAINING SOME OF THE PRINCIPAL DOCUMENTS ON WHICH THE
FOR ARCHIBALD CONSTABLE & CO. EDINBURGH,
Letters to Dr Blair.
1. Original of the testimony or declaration of Hugh M'
Donald of Killpheder, in the Isle of South Uist,... 38
2. Translation of the foregoing testimony, 44
Letter from Mr Pope, minister of Rea, to Mr Nicholson, minister of Thurso, , 52
1. From Dr Blair, minister in Edinburgh, 56
2. From Dr Adam Fergusson, 62
3. From the Reverend Dr Carlyle to William Macdonald
Esq. secretary to the Highland Society 66
4. Note from John Home, Esq 68
Letters to Henry Mackenzie Esq.
1. From Dr John Smith,...- > TO
2. From ditto to ditto, ■ 13
3. From ditto to ditto, 80
4. From ditto to ditto, t 8S *•
1. Malcom Macpherson's affidavit, 93
2. Ewan Macpherson's declaration, 94
1. Original, according to Jerome Stone of Eas Fhraoich, 99
2. Translation, i 105
3. Literal translation, s 112
Specimen of the poems collected by Mr Hill, and of his remarks, 113
Observations on the Gaelic poems of Mr Hill, and his remarks, 130
Letter from James Macpherson to the Reverend Mr James
Maclagan, then minister of Amulrie, 153
3 , .. . 15«