« PreviousContinue »
Silence and deep repose
4. Awe, [still deeper in “expression," and stronger in
aspiration.”] “ Yet half I hear the parting spirit sigh, • It is a dread and awful thing to die !'. Mysterious worlds, untravelled by the sun, Where 'Time's far-wandering tide has never run, From your unfathomed shades, and viewless spheres, A warning comes, unheard by other ears. 'Tis Heaven's commanding trumpet, long and loud, Like Sinai's thunder pealing from the cloud ! While Nature hears, with terror-mingled trust, The shock that hurls her fabric to the dust; And, like the trembling Hebrew, when he trod The roaring waves, and called upon his God, With mortal terrors clouds immortal bliss, And shrieks, and hovers o'er the dark abyss !
5. Awe, [extending to Fear, with still stronger
“ It thunders! Sons of dust, in reverence bow !
Almighty! trembling like a timid child,
6. Awe, [bordering on Horror ; - the effect still deepening.]
“ 'Tis night, dead night; and weary nature lies
7. Horror, and Fear, [the effect transcending that of
Awe ; the " aspiration" nearly a whisper.]
“ Now o'er the one half world
1. Horror and Amazement ; [“ aspiration ” increased by
(" Pectoral Quality.”)
“What may this mean,
2. Horror and Terror ; [effect still farther increased.]
Clarence, [relating his dream.]
My dream was lengthened after life :-
3. Fear. (Whispering Voice : “Guttural Quality.”) Caliban, [conducting Stephano and Trinculo to the cell of Prospero.]
Pray you tread softly, -- that the blind mole may not Hear a foot fall : we are now near his cell.
Speak softly! All's hushed as midnight yet.
See'st thou here? This is the mouth o' the cell: no noise ! and enter.”
4. Fear and Alarm. (Forcible Half-Whisper : “ Pectoral Quality.”) Alonzo, [who, with Gonzalo, is suddenly awakened by the intervention of Ariel, and finds the conspirators, Sebastian and Antonio, with their swords drawn.]
Why, how now, ho! - awake ? - Why are you drawn? Wherefore this ghastly looking ?
Gonzalo. What's the matter ?
Sebastian. Whiles we stood here, securing your repose, Even now, we heard a hollow burst of bellowing Like bulls or rather lions : did it not wake you? It struck mine ear most terribly.
Antonio. Oh! 't was a din to fright a monster's ear : To make an earthquake !
sure, it was the roar Of a whole herd of lions !"
Douglas, (soliloquizing in the wood.]
III. EXPLOSIVE UTTERANCE.”
I hate him for he is a Christian;
2. Anger and Scorn.
(“ Pectoral Quality.”) [Moore's lines to the Neapolitans, on their failure in the attempt at a revolution.]
Ay, down to the dust with them, slaves as they are !
From this hour let the blood in their dastardly veins, That shrunk from the first touch of Liberty's war,
Be sucked out by tyrants, or stagnate in chains !
“On-on, like a cloud, through their beautiful vales,
Ye locusts of tyranny! - blasting them o'er : Fill — fill up their wide, sunny waters, ye soils
From each slave-mart in Europe, and poison their shore !
“May their fate be a mock-word ! — May men of all lands
Laugh out with a scorn that shall ring to the poles, When each sword that the cowards let fall from their hands,
Shall be forged into fetters to enter their souls !"
3. Scorn and Abhorrence.
(“Guttural and Pectoral Quality.”) Masaniello, [in reply to the base suggestions of Genuino.]
- I would that now I could forget the monk who stands before me;