Puketutu and Its People
David Ling Publishing Limited, 2008 - Puketutu Island (N.Z.) - 116 pages
Puketutu is the only significant island in the Manukau Harbour. But its natural beauty and proximity to Auckland have long made it a desirable asset. Since the 1930s a causeway has linked the island to the Manukau area, making it easily accessible. Apihai Te Kawau, the Ngati Whatua and Te Taou chief, was the principal Maori owner of Puketutu prior to 1845. Te Kawau has a place in our history as the chief who invited Governor Hobson to place the new colony's capital at Auckland Pioneer businessman Sir John Logan Campbell owned the island for nearly 50 years. One or two of Puketutu's subsequent owners were not well known; others, such as Sir Henry Kelliher, were leading figures in Auckland's business and social life. Puketutu is currently owned by the Sir Henry J Kelliher Charitable Trust and incorporates a luxurious function centre - many Aucklanders would have been guests at weddings and other events at the former Kelliher mansion set on beautifully landscaped grounds. Now, Puketutu is set to be transferred to public ownership, accessible to all as a park for generations to come. Puketutu and its People is a lively and beautiful tribute to this major landmark, written by two well known Auckland historians.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.